What PC game had the best cinematic in your opinion?

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
IMHO, I think that Warcraft III: Frozen Throne has one of the best cinematics I've ever seen in all my gaming years. I just finished the game again and the last cinematic (seen here) is awesome in just about every way.

Are there any other games out there that equal up to this or does WCIII:FT stand alone?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
the introduction to warhammer40k: DOW literally sold me on the game. so epic.

otherwise, blizzard definitely has the standard for cinematics. i can't wait for SC2

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Anachronox had some absolutely amazing cutscenes, using the in-game [heavily modified] Quake 2 engine.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Are we talking pre-rendered, or in-engine?

If it's in-engine, nothing has ever come close to Half-Life 2's digital actors, though Crysis is the best attempt to match Valve's opus so far, even if the writing in Crysis was horrible.

If it's pre-rendered, I think you can pretty much pick any Blizzard cinematic at random.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Originally posted by: ja1484

If it's in-engine, nothing has ever come close to Half-Life 2's digital actors, though Crysis is the best attempt to match Valve's opus so far.

If it's pre-rendered, I think you can pretty much pick any Blizzard cinematic at random.

Agreed. I think valve did a great job with the entire Half-Life series when it comes to acting.

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
the introduction to warhammer40k: DOW literally sold me on the game. so epic.

otherwise, blizzard definitely has the standard for cinematics. i can't wait for SC2

I was actually gonna list that as my second favorite. I always watch it whenever I start the game up just because of how awesome it is.

Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
you mean like cut scenes?

Yeah...cut-scenes, cinematic, in game video, whatever you wanna call it

Originally posted by: ja1484

If it's in-engine, nothing has ever come close to Half-Life 2's digital actors, though Crysis is the best attempt to match Valve's opus so far, even if the writing in Crysis was horrible.

Either really...I know that pre-rendered makes it look awesome but sometimes there's more to it then just graphics. However, I do believe Blizzard has achieved the best of both look and feel when it comes to their cut scenes

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
Oh yeah, can't forget the Starcraft:Ghost opening cinematic. Sure, the game will never see the light of day but it's still bad ass none the less. Click

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
The new DoW expansion's intro, Soulstorm's, is damn fine (but isn't CGI, only in-engine). I completely agree with the statement about Valve and Half-Life 2's characters, they are the very best for in-engine animations and interaction, and dialog (even though the actual story is nowhere as clear as we'd hope it to be).

When it comes to CGI, I would have to say the ones from the original Command & Conquer. I know it's old for today's standards, but back then in 1995 those effects were just jaw-dropping (and no I'm not talking about the actors, I'm talking about the background effects or the entire CGI sequences like the Orca bombing a secret NOD installation in a canyon).

And, I almost forgot, let's not forget about Diablo II and LoD's CGIs, they were absolutely beautiful back then, too. Additionally, the narrator's voice in the WCIII intro is the same than the one who's doing Marcus' voice in Diablo II's CGIs.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
The OP is spot on with the War3 Frozen throne cinematic- so awesome. 2nd I'm going with The Starcraft Brood War intro with the marines in the trenches- 3rd an in game cinematic not a pre-render goes to Half-life 2, excellent job there.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I agree with Dawn of War for FMV and Anacronox for rendered.

I also liked the install video for Act of War and some (not all) of the in game FMV sequences in between levels.

I thought the opening cutscene for Doom3 was pretty darn good, as were the scenes with the Damage Control team and some of the monster introductions. Too bad the actual game play was lacking.

FEAR had a great opening sequence and the end sequence was nice too. Same with its expansions.

The opening video on Far Cry was alright. Also liked Dunegon Siege II and Oblivion.

AvP 2 had awesome in-game cutscenes which described different parts of the story. Those, coupled with the little background notes on the objectives menu (if you bothered to read them), added up to a pretty kickass story.

While they werent quite as good as a quality, film-noir movie, I liked the Max Payne 1&2 cutscenes a lot.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: apoppin
The best *intro* was imo:
Hellgate: London
.. :p

better than most movies
-awesome voice acting ... lots of emotion and a great "setup"

... then it went to hell :|

[yes .. pun intended]
:evil:

booooooooooooo! *throws tomato* :D

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Jill of the Jungle ;)

Actually, I have to go with Guild Wars. I haven't played too many new games...

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Best cut scenes hands down are from No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in Harms Way
Cinematics I loved all the ones from woW.

imported_sushicide

Jun 20, 2005
A notable mention is FFXI, while I wouldn't recommend the game for anyone to play because it's grindtastic, but the art department did a very good story-telling job with pre-rendered and in-game cutscenes for just about every quest and mission, the quality is near on par with other FF games, and superior to most MMOs out there.

Don't know if these count since they're not really cutscenes, but I was also pretty impressed with HL2's citadel stalker pod tour, COD4's nuclear aftermath, and Bioshock's Andrew Ryan encounter.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
The best *intro* was imo:
Hellgate: London
.. :p

better than most movies
-awesome voice acting ... lots of emotion and a great "setup"

... then it went to hell :|

[yes .. pun intended]
:evil:

You took the words right out of my mouth; the Hellgate intro was fantastic. After Hellgate I would choose Warcraft 3.

KT

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Hellgate London
Diablo 2/LoD
Warcraft 3 + TFT

Anyone notice a pattern? Blizzard links all 3 games, albeit Hellgate London isnt technically Blizzard, strongly linked through the personnell behind it.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War intro was astounding. The WH40k universe is lavishly depicted throughout in books and has its own models etc. but that introduction sequence gave the universe a limited but great visual form. First time I saw it, I was as blown away as that poor little Ork when he was sideswiped by a volley of Dreadnaught Autocannon fire.