What other organizations recruit volunteers to aid other countries, ala Peace Corps? Im looking for one during summer..

phatj

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2003
Im interested in doing a Peace Corps-type-thing where you basically go to another country to help out the people there. The Peace Corps requires a 27 month commitment, and I don't wanna join the military because that, too, is too long of a commitment. I'd like to do this for a summer (like 3 months), and the places that I am finding require longer commitments.

Anyone have suggestions or experiences with these organizations? I would like to do this for the summer of 2005. Thanks.

May 16, 2000
The Bahai church does a number of excellent projects, often set up for summer only for those in school. Not sure what their stand is on non-members accompanying though. I bet they'd be a great resource to find out more though.

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
americorps isn't out of the country but I think they help poverty here in the US.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
For the cost of flying you somewhere for 3 months they could feed a whole family in some places for longer than 3 months. Why would they do that just so you can put something on your resume?

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
you'll probly have to pay for the flight and living cost if you want to do something so sort term. its just not worth it for the companies to fly some unexperiecned kid in for 3 months.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: cerebusPu
you'll probly have to pay for the flight and living cost if you want to do something so sort term. its just not worth it for the companies to fly some unexperiecned kid in for 3 months.

Even then, he should use the money for something worthwhile. Maybe donate it to a charity and try to get involved for resume padding or something.