What, no thread about Stadia in this subforum? (Cloud gaming - Read Dead Redemption 2 joined at Nov launch)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
It was partially self-fulfilling. Everyone knew Google's track record so people were hesitant to sign up.
Honestly I never understood the pricing model, what’s the benefit of paying and do I own games I buy or do I have to pay monthly to access them.
Fucking confusing billing plans is never a good way to start something new.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
And nobody was surprised.

I bet giving full refunds for all hardware and games purchased is going to be quite the chunk of change. And it means those people basically got to play those games for free.
I was surprised it took so long. The main reason I never looked twice at Stadia was because I just assumed it was going to die out in about a year or two but it lasted way longer than I thought it would.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Next company that thinks streaming gaming will be a success without its entire customer basis on fiber 1g connection, will question my intelligence on the CEO of that company.

Well even with a fiber 1g connection, you still would need the latency time, which i don't think even fiber can give you.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd its dead Jim.

Stadia Controlers might be a solid source of good cheap blue tooth controllers for those of you who haven't picked anything up for your PC.

Reactions: NTMBK

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Few weeks ago I received my full refund of $120 or whatever it was.

Pretty hilarious and a loss for google.

Feb 4, 2009
As I’ve said several times in this thread, I still don’t understand the pricing model. What benefit does subscribing monthly have vs buying the game from stadia and not paying monthly.
No wonder it failed.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
As I’ve said several times in this thread, I still don’t understand the pricing model. What benefit does subscribing monthly have vs buying the game from stadia and not paying monthly.
No wonder it failed.

Basically you were conned into thinking you'd save on buying expensive videocards and hardware.
So all you really needed to do was buy the game on a digital library, which you never owned to begin with.
The model was really stupid, the concept too early as everyone told google, you'd get handed on latency.

Also google doesn't have that much overhead to run some of the titles at intended settings without performance gaps.
Remember no one got there own machines, it was VM'd so multiple people would use the same machine, which again caused massive latency issues.

But really, this conecept is not remotely possible until everyone is on a low latency fiber, which wont be possible, or possibly a gaming center where the servers are connected directly to a 1gbe network.

Now the only one left is Nvidia's, but at least they dedicate a machine to each person.
But i do not expect them to survive either for the same reason.

Feb 4, 2009
Basically you were conned into thinking you'd save on buying expensive videocards and hardware.
So all you really needed to do was buy the game on a digital library, which you never owned to begin with.
The model was really stupid, the concept too early as everyone told google, you'd get handed on latency.

Also google doesn't have that much overhead to run some of the titles at intended settings without performance gaps.
Remember no one got there own machines, it was VM'd so multiple people would use the same machine, which again caused massive latency issues.

But really, this conecept is not remotely possible until everyone is on a low latency fiber, which wont be possible, or possibly a gaming center where the servers are connected directly to a 1gbe network.

Now the only one left is Nvidia's, but at least they dedicate a machine to each person.
Still don’t get why I’d pay for the game then pay monthly on stadia vs just buying the damn game on stadia and not paying monthly.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

Xbox and PS also have streaming options. They work well for the most part, but the key thing that makes them viable where Stadia wasn't is the option to play locally when streaming won't cut it (this only partly works for Playstation as the PS3 games can only be streamed).

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Still don’t get why I’d pay for the game then pay monthly on stadia vs just buying the damn game on stadia and not paying monthly.
Stadia's business model fit my unique case:

1. Not enough storage or latest GPU to play Red Dead Redemption 2. Also don't want to shell out for a console with big upfront costs.
2. Stadia solves all my problems of above. All I had to do is pay a monthly fee and bam! I'm playing RDR2 on my PC.
3. Too bad quality was somewhere between PS3 and PS4, not PC max graphics of the PC remake.

Very niche use case for me. I didn't play too much either afterwards.

Feb 4, 2009
Stadia's business model fit my unique case:

1. Not enough storage or latest GPU to play Red Dead Redemption 2. Also don't want to shell out for a console with big upfront costs.
2. Stadia solves all my problems of above. All I had to do is pay a monthly fee and bam! I'm playing RDR2 on my PC.
3. Too bad quality was somewhere between PS3 and PS4, not PC max graphics of the PC remake.

Very niche use case for me. I didn't play too much either afterwards.
Exactly and I totally get that. My point was the pricing model on Stadia never made sense, why pay for a game AND pay monthly vs pay for the game on Stadia? There was no value proposition and it never was clear what the point to subscribing monthly was.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Exactly and I totally get that. My point was the pricing model on Stadia never made sense, why pay for a game AND pay monthly vs pay for the game on Stadia? There was no value proposition and it never was clear what the point to subscribing monthly was.

The pro level gave you 4K and 5.1 sound, the basic was just 1080p and stereo sound (pro also gave you a free game each month). What that actually turned into in practice I have no idea. Guessing you would need pretty hefty internet to get an actual 4K stream.

I tried this way back during the beta with Assassin's Creed Odyssey. It was OK, but my internet was pretty bad when I tried it (~30Mb down), so cannot really say how it would be with good interenet. I currently have ~400Mb internet, Xbox streaming works very well, but still some occasional issues.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
The pro level gave you 4K and 5.1 sound, the basic was just 1080p and stereo sound (pro also gave you a free game each month). What that actually turned into in practice I have no idea. Guessing you would need pretty hefty internet to get an actual 4K stream.

I tried this way back during the beta with Assassin's Creed Odyssey. It was OK, but my internet was pretty bad when I tried it (~30Mb down), so cannot really say how it would be with good interenet. I currently have ~400Mb internet, Xbox streaming works very well, but still some occasional issues.
4K was still garbage. It upscaled numerous titles that didn't even have official 4K back then. RDR2 4K lol? It didn't even have proper PC remastered textures, nevermind real 4K.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
in my opinion, the "original sin" of game streaming is trying to stream games which require fast response and twitch-reaction. how about they focus on streaming Turn Based games? like Civilization (or other 4X), Turn Based Strategy and Tactics games, Chess, even point and click Quests, Puzzle Adventure/Exploration games.
but in their hubris, they decided to ignore the glaring technical limitation.
this should've been a monthly subscription only, open games library like Xbox pass, for games that don't require fast reaction times.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
in my opinion, the "original sin" of game streaming is trying to stream games which require fast response and twitch-reaction. how about they focus on streaming Turn Based games? like Civilization (or other 4X), Turn Based Strategy and Tactics games, Chess, even point and click Quests, Puzzle Adventure/Exploration games.
but in their hubris, they decided to ignore the glaring technical limitation.
this should've been a monthly subscription only, open games library like Xbox pass, for games that don't require fast reaction times.
Not sure if that was the downfall of Stadia. Latency wasn't a big issue in Stadia in twitch-reaction based genre like fighting game (samurai shodown, SF, etc).

For me, it's just terrible quality.