Question What network switch should I opt for a workstation with 10GBE Network Card ?

manishbjain

Apr 21, 2021
We are a small business . We have recently purchased a high end workstation with 10GBE Network Card. The Workstation also works as a server which serves files to the other 3 pcs in the office. We are currently using a 300mbps - 4 Port network router ? But We need a faster connectivity now . What Network Switch should we have that will help us get the best of the money we have spent on the 10GBE Network Card on the Workstation. Can someone suggest our ideal network model ?

manishbjain

Apr 21, 2021
If you are using the 10GB card to an existing swtich that is 10GB, you probably won't need to change that at all. If not, then that is your first upgrade.

The Internet access is a different network, so it has nothing to do with 10GB.

Hi Samir,

Thanks for the revert. No I dont have any network switch at all at the moment. We are only connected using a router. So I want to buy one but not sure which one. Should I really go on hunting for network switch with all 10 GBE ports or all 1 GBE Ports or a few (say 2 ) 10 GBE Ports and other 1 GBE Ports ?

Which one would best suit . We dont want to go overbudget but at the same time justify the 10GBE Network card that we have on our workstation.

All the other PCs in my office rely on the high end graphic files that lies in this workstation, so there has to be constant data transmission between the PCs so theres no latency when working or saving the files.

What would you suggest ?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

uplink one of the 8 gigabit ports to your router.

or

uplink one of the 4 gigabit ports to your router.
Don't know if you can use 10Gbase-T & 10GSFP+ port at the same time or you can only use either one.

Last edited:
Reactions: manishbjain

manishbjain

Apr 21, 2021

uplink one of the 8 gigabit ports to your router.

or

uplink one of the 4 gigabit ports to your router.

And How should I use the 10 GBE Port. Should I use that to connect one of those to the workstation ?

Would any of these work @mxnerd as those are slightly higher in budget here in India.
Cisco SG250-10P
Cisco 24 Port Gigabit Switch

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
BTW, you have to know the switch can only help your local PC's traffic to the server if it's already saturated now, and it does not help the internet side at all.

manishbjain

Apr 21, 2021
BTW, you have to know the switch can only help your local PC's traffic to the server if it's already saturated now, and it does not help the internet side at all.

Yes, I am not much worried about the internet as of now. Just want the file transmission in the LAN to happen at higher speed. Do you think I can manage with a 1 GB Ports Switch instead of 10GB for now. There is only one PC that accesses all the graphic files from this workstation . In a dilemma now,

If I buy an all 1 GB Network Switch , Would the data transmission from and to the Workstation be smooth. I already have the 10GBE Network Card on the Workstation.

Let me tell you that the other stations (team members) would be working on the files straight from the workstation, not copying from the workstation and working on their station and then pasting it back to the server. It wont be like this.

The files would remain on the workstation and they will be accessing and working on those file without dowloading the files which means they would constantly need the data transmission.

Will the 1 GB Network switch be enough for this process.

Or having a 10 GBE Card on the WS doesnt help if the network switch is only 1 GB.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
It all depends on how big your graphics files are. If the ports on the router are only 100Mbps, then a gigabits switch would definitely help. If the ports on router are already 1 gigabits, you probably don't need any switch now since you have only 1 PC. The 10G port on the workstation/server can operate at 1 or 10 Gbps speed.

Don't know how your the other 2 PC connected to the workstation/server, it also all depends on how much traffic they generate. If using MS RDP, probably not much.

manishbjain

Apr 21, 2021
It all depends on how big your graphics files are. If the ports on the router are only 100Mbps, then a gigabits switch would definitely help. If the ports on router are already 1 gigabits, you probably don't need any switch now since you have only 1 PC. The 10G port on the workstation/server can operate at 1 or 10 Gbps speed.

Don't know how your the other 2 PC connected to the workstation/server, it also all depends on how much traffic they generate. If using MS RDP, probably not much.

The Graphic files range from 100 MB to about 2 GB .

The other PCs connect to this Workstation via shared folders. Sometimes via the Remote Desktop but rarely.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Well, you will need gigabit switch and above apparently.

Upgrade PC with 2.5G and above can help if your business handle big graphics files all the time.

manishbjain

Apr 21, 2021
Well, you will need gigabit switch and above apparently.

Upgrade PC with 2.5G and above can help if your business handle big graphics files all the time.

I think I will go for Gigabit Switch now instead of 10G Switch and Probably upgrade the PCs with 2.5G Card. But Gigabit switches vary drastically in price. What apart from the Brand are the differences that I need to consider . For Instance , this one from Cisco is a lot pricier than this one from TP Link for just a difference of 2 extra ports. I am probably missing out on some crucial features but what are they and what features should I look for considering my requirement.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Cisco is the most famous & largest networking equipment provider in the world, the company literally provided most equipment for the internet. It's expensive for a reason. And the Cisco model is a managed switch, you most likely don't need the extra features it has.

If you are going to buy a gigabit switch, why upgrade PCs with 2.5G network cards? I also suspect that your router got gigabit ports built-in, why buy another gigabit switch if you are not going to take advantage of the 10G port of the workstation?

Last edited:

manishbjain

Apr 21, 2021
Cisco is the most famous & largest networking equipment provider in the world, the company literally provided most equipment for the internet. It's expensive for a reason. And the Cisco model is a managed switch, you most likely don't need the extra features it has.

If you are going to buy a gigabit switch, why upgrade PCs with 2.5G network cards? I also suspect that your router got gigabit ports built-in, why buy another gigabit switch if you are not going to take advantage of the 10G port of the workstation?

My routers don't have gigabit switches. As for 2.56 cards, I thought it will help a bit in speed but again not sure if it would.

Also, Won't the 10G card be helpful in transmitting the files with the gigabit switch. Would it be the same as if I were to use the 1GBE instead of the 10GBE ?

Last edited:

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
You have a simple 100 Mbps network it seems and your workstation with the 10 GbE card is an outlier in your case. You can't fully utilize its 10 Gbps speed without upgrading the rest of your network. Your router is essentially a 100 Mbps switch as well. I would assume your other machines come with 100 Mbps NICs? or Maybe 1 Gbps NICs? Even with 1 Gbps cards, and with your workstation serving files to all your machines, that won't saturate the 10 Gbps link. I would get a 1Gbps switch and call it a day since your drives setup may not go over 1 Gbps.

There is only one PC that accesses all the graphic files from this workstation . In a dilemma now,

If that's the case, you can setup a direct network connection between your workstation and this particular PC. Upgrade this PC NIC to 10Gbps card and setup a direct 10Gbps link between the two machines. Use a different subnet.

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
OMG, you have a 100Mb network with workstation using a 10G at 100Mb.....

You need all of your network attached devices using at least 1Gb.
Router needs to have a Gb port.
Switch needs to be Gb ports.
PC's need to have Gb cards if they are 100Mb now.

At a minimum get a cheap Gb switch (dumb switch) and get the workstation connected to it so it can service multiple 100Mb clients.

manishbjain

Apr 21, 2021
You have a simple 100 Mbps network it seems and your workstation with the 10 GbE card is an outlier in your case. You can't fully utilize its 10 Gbps speed without upgrading the rest of your network. Your router is essentially a 100 Mbps switch as well. I would assume your other machines come with 100 Mbps NICs? or Maybe 1 Gbps NICs? Even with 1 Gbps cards, and with your workstation serving files to all your machines, that won't saturate the 10 Gbps link. I would get a 1Gbps switch and call it a day since your drives setup may not go over 1 Gbps.

If that's the case, you can setup a direct network connection between your workstation and this particular PC. Upgrade this PC NIC to 10Gbps card and setup a direct 10Gbps link between the two machines. Use a different subnet.

Yeah I guess that's the best idea .. to go for 1GB Switch . My pcs already have 1GB Cards so that with 1Gb switch should work for now I guess.

What do you mean by drives setup ?