What NAS drive to run Plex smoothly 1080p + 5.1?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
that's too much... I don't want too many devices, the less the better. I already have a PS3 and a STB from fios. If I can, I'd only have 1 device...

Trying to find one device that will do it all that isn't an HTPC is a fools errand. The PS3 has a terrible front end and most dedicated devices lack any real power for a truly smooth UI. A $599 Mac mini is expensive but serves as an excellent HTPC as well as transcode videos to mobile devices.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Agreed. HTPC was the best entertainment device I've ever used. Its even wife approved!

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Yeah, I keep coming back to someting along these lines.

I can't help but think that OP couldn't have just done a DIY NAS with FlexRAID or SnapRAID that could have taken care of transcoding responsibilities for less than the $300 he spent for the Synology DS213. Is it too late to cancel the order or send it back?

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
For what is worth, I run Plex and transcode to Rokus using a single core VM with 4GB RAM running on an i5-3750k. Only bad files seem to make it skip. The rig is my vCenter testing rig. If I dedicated the CPU to a server it would likely do 4 streams with out to much of an issue. I often transcode and mux in subtitles also.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
The main purpose for my raid was to setup a personal cloud, being that I have 65mbit upload, I want to take advantage of that. The plex was just icing on the cake. The problem with an HTPC is it doesn't play PS3 games, and the new mac mini's doesn't even have an optical slot anymore for my sleuth of blurays.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
and I can have set to automatically launch into WMC... does it have an HD tuner? could be the solution for me to get rid of my STB.... I guess I can live without the PS3 as a media center if I can get rid of my STB...

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
just realize I'll have to sit through the post screen and all that annoying pos.... so an HD tuner would solve my STB problem? I wouldn't need to lease one from verizon anymore?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I would call and ask if they have a recommended tuner or something with cable card capability. That would tell you if you need the box.

spencers

Aug 21, 2003
My little home-built unRAID NAS box transcodes 1080p to my iDevices without any problem. It only has an IvyBridge i3-3220T in it.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
yeah, thinking of building a small transcoder... i'm already hitting 1.3kWh on my electricity during the summer time :(

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
well synology has the brand new DS214play! even faster transfer rates, and now hardware transcoding!!!! I might pick this up just for the 100 MB/s transfer rates... or maybe i'll just be lazy and get a i7 Haswell brix to do my 4 streams of 1080p + 5.1 transcoding... since it takes less power than a light bulb.

surv

Jan 3, 2014
this is a little off topic, but hopefully useful to someone. i've found the google chromecast http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/ to be an ideal plex client.

it consists of a dongle a little larger than a typical usb flash drive, a usb power cord (i plugged mine into a/c power, but i've heard a smart tv usb port for a hard drive would suffice), and a short extender that can be helpful if you have lots of hdmi devices.

one advantage is that it removes a box and a couple of wires from the entertainment area. i like it better than the ouya (https://www.ouya.tv/) i was using before it for that reason, and because of the convenience of controlling the chromecast. it can be controlled from any android or ios device and any platform that supports chrome, whereas the ouya requires a game controller to watch. it also uses less power than even the ouya (although either as a client ought to save on the electric bill compared to any htpc). it works well with google music and pandora as well, which is nice if you have good speakers attached to the same tv as the chromecast.

for now, plex support for chromecast is limited to plexpass members, but only for an initial period. source: http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/12/06/plex-on-the-chromecast-its-official/