What my system admin couldn't do in 3 hrs I did it in 5 mins

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
After 3 hrs and working with Gateway tech support he still couldn't figure out which driver he needed for the "PCI Simple Communications Controller". I offered to take over for him while he goes to lunch. I went to Gateway's site, downloaded and installed some kind of Intel Management driver for the motherboard and what did you know? Problem solve in 5 minutes.

I did ask him earlier if he installed all the drivers for the motherboard and chipset and he said yes.:confused:

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Now send him a bill for your 5 minutes of work.

Oh well, even the best of us screw up sometimes.

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
Originally posted by: jtvang125
After 3 hrs and working with Gateway tech support he still couldn't figure out which driver he needed for the "PCI Simple Communications Controller". I offered to take over for him while he goes to lunch. I went to Gateway's site, downloaded and installed some kind of Intel Management driver for the motherboard and what did you know? Problem solve in 5 minutes.

I did ask him earlier if he installed all the drivers for the motherboard and chipset and he said yes.:confused:

Is he older.....still works like it's 1987?

Are you younger, more up to technology standards and beyond?

Welcome to my daily life battling the whits of the older crew! What takes them hours or days to do, I do in no time at all.

Gneisenau

May 30, 2007
By the title I thought this was going to be one of those trick questions where the answer was something like: "Made the Sys Admin look good." :)

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
When I working as a control system engineer... I never let anyone in IT touch any of my computers if I could help it.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH
When I working as a control system engineer... I never let anyone in IT touch any of my computers if I could help it.

I'm in accounting. Sometiesm I can't help it because I need the admin rights.

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
All of us have bad days every now and then. Although like everyone else said, always install chipset drivers first, then install the other drivers.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
It's always the little things that catch me up. The complicated stuff is usually not a big deal... it's the stupid shit that my brain stumbles over. Weird.

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH

Just because we can't touch, doesn't mean we still can't get to it.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
What are you idiots talking about??
Chipset drivers. Jeez. "Look at my chipset" "Its the chipset driver" "How does your chip set?"

Chipset drivers. What are you guys going to make up next?

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Unknown driver finder lists VEN and DEV id's + www.pcidatabase.com = win. Also, in his defense, gateway has the most atrocious driver support of the major PC manufacturers. I've had models at work that come preinstalled with Win Xp (Vista capable) only list Vista drivers for certain devices. So fun.