What movie/show was the most shocking for you when you were a young kid?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The Last Unicorn.

After growing up on Disney fluff, it was an eye-opener to find that a movie could be more.

I remember is was sad but not exactly disturbing.
But yes I agree that the first time you see something animated that ISNT stupid it blows your mind.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
TV: The Outer Limits. I had nightmares but there was no way I'd miss an episode.

Film: Forbidden Planet (the Id Monster attacks) and Creature From The Black Lagoon (I left the theatre before the end, couldn't watch anymore).

Documentaries: The World At War.

A bit older (teen years): The Devil's Rain and The Exorcist.

The scariest part of the "Id" was that it was invisible, the scene when it got into the ship, it left indentations in the ladder was terrifying IMO. Close second was "War of the worlds"..

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
When i was a kid... Amityville Horror.

Growing up less than 20min from the actual house, and driving past it to see where it was, kinda didn't help.

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
Nosferatu - very old and creepy

The Exorcist - I never actually saw it, but the idea of it from scenes on TV and people talking about it scared the shit out of me.

Gargoyles (1972) - Very bad movie with cheesy effects; when I look at clips now I can't believe it is the same movie that scared me. There are scenes early in the film where they drive along in the desert, and suddenly from inside the car you see these huge shadows approaching from the gargoyles chasing them overhead.

I had quite an imagination and it didn't take much to give me nightmares. :awe:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Saw some scenes from Videodrome that horrified me for years and years.

...also, an old War of the Worlds movie gave me nightmares.

This. I always thought the three-colored eye thing was going to come up the shower drain or snake its way out from under my bed. Was Videodrome the one where the guy exploded in low pressure/space? I was going to mention that too. Also, some movie about army ants or something covering everything and killing people. It may have been a made-for-tv movie.

Last edited:

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
This. I always thought the three-colored eye thing was going to come up the shower drain or snake it's way out from under my bed.

wowmartian.jpg

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
Dad took me to see Jaws when I was 8....while on vacation to Myrtle Beach. Thanks Dad.

Sister was babysitting me...brought me along with her and her friends to see The Exorcist at a drive-in. I hid in the back seat every time she showed her face. I was afraid she was going to come running out of the woods behind the theater.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Dad took me to see Jaws when I was 8....while on vacation to Myrtle Beach. Thanks Dad.

Sister was babysitting me...brought me along with her and her friends to see The Exorcist at a drive-in. I hid in the back seat every time she showed her face. I was afraid she was going to come running out of the woods behind the theater.

ahjahahahaahaha

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I was about 7 or 8 I forget but my parents took me and my older brothers to see Apocalypse now.. Scared me especially that black dude with his legs blown out after chopper exploded in school village. And Jaws of course... we lived 1 mile from newport beach I could not go in water for a good half year like half of america's children

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Company of Wolves maybe? Loved that movie as a kid; one of the best Red Riding Hood variations I've seen.

KT

No, it was definitely a horror movie, early 80s. It might have been Wolfen, but like I say, I don't remember much about it, but I do remember long, quiet scenes of wolves gathered in some desolate, urban area and just staring or something like that.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
I was going to mention that too. Also, some movie about army ants or something covering everything and killing people. It may have been a made-for-tv movie.

I think I remember that one as well. They just kept swarming and coming and coming..

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Old Yeller.

Saw it was 6 - I think I cried for the rest of the day after seeing it :'(

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
The last scene in the original Terminator used to creep the hell out of me (when he gets out of the truck in robot form), mainly because of the bad special effects that made it move in such an erratic way that it looked incredibly real

Couldnt watch that scene alone for a long time -_-

JPS35

Apr 9, 2006
The Day After, Threads, and Testament growing up during the height of the Cold War.

Arcadio

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2007
Return of the Living Dead. I was about 5 when I watched it. I still remember the experience to this day.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
No, it was definitely a horror movie, early 80s. It might have been Wolfen, but like I say, I don't remember much about it, but I do remember long, quiet scenes of wolves gathered in some desolate, urban area and just staring or something like that.

Company of Wolves is a horror movie, and a pretty good one. Wolfen was decent too from what I recall; been forever since I last watched it.

Return of the Living Dead. I was about 5 when I watched it. I still remember the experience to this day.

The scene with the half-zombie strapped to the table in the morgue freaked me out like crazy. One of the best parts of that movie IMO.

KT

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Alien (the first one) haunted me for weeks. No movie has ever done what it did. Nightmares for two weeks.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
The little vampire kid outside the window, right? :twisted:

Yes yes yes yes.

LOL.

I was about 9 when that movie was out I believe. When I was six my best friend got killed in a farm accident. When I saw that movie that's all I thought of for weeks. He was going to come back. I am going to be honest, I was traumatized, seriously. I was afraid to be alone at any time, especially at night.