What movie/show was the most shocking for you when you were a young kid?

BoredWork

Feb 20, 2010
the shining...with Jack nicholson(sp). i was 5 when i saw that. was the first movie i ever saw blood. scared the crap out of me...till i relized it was just a movie. after that i just lol'd at blood/gut movies. :)

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
The Day After (TV - 1983)
The film portrays a fictional war between NATO forces and the Warsaw Pact that rapidly escalates into a full scale nuclear exchange between the United States and the Soviet Union. It focuses on the residents of Lawrence, Kansas, and Kansas City, Missouri, as well as several family farms situated next to nuclear missile silos.

ahenkel

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2009
There was an early episode on ST:TNG with a worm or something that crawled into peoples ears. I was about 8 or 9 when it came out and it gave me nightmares.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The Amityville Horror (the original). Watched it at home alone when I was about 10 or 11.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
TV: The Outer Limits. I had nightmares but there was no way I'd miss an episode.

Film: Forbidden Planet (the Id Monster attacks) and Creature From The Black Lagoon (I left the theatre before the end, couldn't watch anymore).

Documentaries: The World At War.

A bit older (teen years): The Devil's Rain and The Exorcist.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Amityville Horror (the original). Watched it at home alone when I was about 10 or 11.

Hilarious, mine was Amityville II: The Possession, which is actually a pretty terrible movie, but there are a couple of scenes that freaked the crap out of me when I was 8 years old. I still remember them now.

I pretty much only watched horror movies when I was a kid and only a few films had scenes that I found truly scary; that was probably the first one.

KT

Onceler

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
There was an early episode on ST:TNG with a worm or something that crawled into peoples ears. I was about 8 or 9 when it came out and it gave me nightmares.

That's the wrath of Khan it was a FG movie

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
The Last Unicorn.

After growing up on Disney fluff, it was an eye-opener to find that a movie could be more.

Loop2kil

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2004
I saw the Faces of Death when I was about 12...fairly intense movie for a 12 year old.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Something about wolves in an old/abandoned city.. don't remember much of anything about it, other than having nightmares about wolves for years for some reason.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Saw some scenes from Videodrome that horrified me for years and years.

...also, an old War of the Worlds movie gave me nightmares.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
That's the wrath of Khan it was a FG movie

"FG" = "Fairly Good?"

If so, I'd probably disagree. I'd say it was "very good." Even today, almost every actor playing a villain tries to be Khan. I still laugh when I think of Dennis Hopper in Super Mario Bros: The Movie. I know he would have never taken the role if Khan didn't make it "cool" to be a villain.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Something about wolves in an old/abandoned city.. don't remember much of anything about it, other than having nightmares about wolves for years for some reason.

Company of Wolves maybe? Loved that movie as a kid; one of the best Red Riding Hood variations I've seen.

KT

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Nightmare On Elm Street was the only movie (series) that scared me at all. All other scary movies I laughed at (Friday The 13th, Halloween, etc).
Not sure why. They are still my favorite scary movies from back them.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
The Exorcist. I saw it when I was ~8 years old and it scared me so badly that any horror movie since is kind of like a comedy.