What motherboards will fit in this old Shuttle case?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hjo3, Mar 1, 2008.

1. hjo3

hjo3 Diamond Member

I have an SK41G (specs). The stock motherboard (Shuttle FX41) recently went kaput. Are there any boards I can replace it with? I'd be happy to get another FX41, but I can't find any for sale.

Whatever I put in there needs to work with the SK41G's "ICE/heatpipe" CPU cooler (i.e. processor has to be in the right place).

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - motherboards Shuttle case Forum Date
    newegg no longer carries shuttle motherboards? General Hardware Jun 24, 2005
    Shuttle motherboard? General Hardware Mar 8, 2005
    PC3200 memory on a Shuttle AK32L motherboard? General Hardware Apr 1, 2004
    Shuttle Motherboard in a Mid ATX Case? General Hardware Mar 6, 2004
    Do you think Shuttle would sell that tiny motherboard separate from the case in thier new barebones PC? General Hardware Jun 17, 2002

3. Synomenon

Synomenon Diamond Member

Shuttle uses flexATX motherboards and then b/w their different lines (G, G2, G5, P, P2, etc.) there are different motherboard sizes CPU socket locations, layouts. I don't think you're going to find anything that will fit in there other than a motherboard from another G series XPC. Try calling up Shuttle to see if they can sell you a replacement motherboard.

4. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

QFT.

I use to write SFF reviews for another website and had a close relationship with Shuttle for a few years. The only boards that will work in that case are from Shuttle.

You may be able to find one on ebay. If your only option is to buy one from Shuttle, you might as well sell your case (to people who screw up their case mods, BTW) and buy a whole barebones off ebay (Shuttle sells a lot of stuff on ebay for not so bad prices - I just have never seen any mobos).

MotionMan

5. Aluvus

Aluvus Platinum Member

Shuttle does not use FlexATX (although they are pretty close), but otherwise agree.

Getting Shuttle SFF motherboards without the case is difficult because Shuttle doesn't like to sell the motherboards bare, and most people that sell their Shuttle stuff either sell the board and case or sell just the case.

You might be able to talk Shuttle into selling you a replacement, but I wouldn't count on it.

6. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

You are right. I missed that the first time through. They are not FlexATX.

Shuttle did start selling mobos recently, but I have not had a need, so I have not looked into it at all.

MotionMan

7. Synomenon

Synomenon Diamond Member

You guys are right. I used to be a Shuttle nut and hung around the Sudhian / SFFTech forums all the time, but it's been awhile.

8. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

I wonder how many people from Sudhian/SFFTech hang out here as well?

(I am a Sudhian/SFFTech mod and former SFF reviewer.)

MotionMan

9. Zepper

Zepper Elite Member

Yup, Shuttle mobos are proprietary (as well as other stuff) which is why I always recommend something like a microFly case/build it yourself. I think I remember seeing other companies making a Shuttle case compatible mobo, but not many. You're pretty much stuck with what Shuttle offers unless you're willing to cut your losses, salvage whatever is usable and go standard. SVC has a couple of compact cases for cheap right now (Global Win). One model of microFly has been cheap at TigerDirect too.

.bh.