What modern slang that is becoming mainstream are you annoyed with?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I feel like "lemme get" is extremely rude, like you're demanding it. "Can I get" is a lot more polite and appropriate when ordering from someone.
HA, old person found....:) I remember, 35+ years ago, one of my BFFs telling the McDs lady, "Give me...." I busted his chops about it. He would have never said that to his Mom. Polite goes a long way.

For the record, 35 years ago, I was....-20.:oops:

Nov 8, 2012
Some good news about horrible phrases: I haven't heard the stupid shit ass term "YOLO" in quite some time.

Maybe we are making progress in society?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
^ yup I'm a dad - I don't want to teach my kids shittily.
You just have to correct their shitty. We all would go for shitty before proper upbringing.

Story time....Buddy was in the store and his daughter wanted some candy. He told her no. She snatched it up anyway at the counter. He popped her hand. A lady behind him made a disapproving sound. He says, "You want to thank me now or 20 years form now?" She's obviously confused. He says, "I can properly discipline her today or she can be breaking in your house later. Stealing your stuff and assaulting your family."

:D

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
"Diggin her out"

In my experience girls don't like it when their business is likened to a trench, or large container, or pool, etc. If they're nice enough to want to play, shouldn't you mind your manners and act grateful? Not sound like you're doing something mundane with a shovel?

YMMV.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
The large number of people that use "literally" in every other sentence they speak; and it's used incorrectly 90% of the time at that. Makes me literally want to kick them in the throat.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Oh, and using "whilst" when you're not British. No, you don't sound more intelligent when you do it.