What modern slang that is becoming mainstream are you annoyed with?

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Not a fan of clap back. It seems more and more of the internet is using it. It's annoying...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
This thread distresses me. One of the reasons I'm here is to keep up with the street lingo of today's youth. If that vocabulary is not used here, I fear I'll lose my hep-daddy status.

Feb 25, 2011
Yeet.

It doesn't bother me that kids come up with new words, but apparently "yeet" is context-sensitive and can basically mean anything.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
This thread is useless without definitions. I had leave the shelter of the forum and google clapback.

Reactions: WelshBloke

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Mostly it's just the shortening of words that bothers me. You see it less via text based mediums.

Presh = precious
totes = totally
etc

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
My daughter, 9, and her cousins keeps saying "get wrecked, son" regardless of the gender she's talking to, when she's playing on her ipad or whatever. It's an old saying that appears to be making a comeback, but it's annoying AF.

Also, I have a few co-workers sub 30 that say "bougie"(sp?) in the context of someplace fancy, or if something looks fancy or name brand or something. Annoying as well.

I feel old.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
My daughter, 9, and her cousins keeps saying "get wrecked, son" regardless of the gender she's talking to, when she's playing on her ipad or whatever. It's an old saying that appears to be making a comeback, but it's annoying AF.

Also, I have a few co-workers sub 30 that say "bougie"(sp?) in the context of someplace fancy, or if something looks fancy or name brand or something. Annoying as well.

I feel old.
If it makes you feel any worse, they're probably actually saying "rekt".

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I'm currently not keen on 'woke' (to mean enlightened, or what was once called 'right-on', though that term does itself smell of patchouli oil and old hippies, so maybe it was due a refresh, come to think of it). Also, 'optics' to mean 'appearances'.

What makes me feel dubious about a lot of slang is the sense that people adopt it out of an insecure desire to sound like some other group they perceive as being cooler. Eventually it becomes just ordinary language and everyone uses it unself-conciously, but there's a period of time when it just sounds a bit false.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Only one I can think of is "100". I don't know why but for some reason it kind of grinds my gears. It makes sense though but still, something about it.