What MMORPG is the easiest to "get into" and easy to learn?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I need a game to take over my life, i tried star wars galaxy, but it was WAY to complicated. I would like something along the lines of how Morrowind is (in respect to how skills work, and your inventory, and simplicity), if possible set more in modern times. I dont have any patience, so i want something that i can get into and learn very quickly.

thanks

mitchafi

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2004
Asheron's Call 2 is really easy to get into. The gameplay is quite simple. You choose from 3 classes (unique classes - no elf/dwarf/halfling crap here) and each has 6 diabloesque skill sets (2 magic, 2 melee, 2 missile). I found levels 1-50 to be extremely fun but it's starting to get a little boring now at 54. That's just me though, because there are some people as high as level 69-70 (That's trillions of XP) The server populations are low because the game had some trouble in its earlier days but since then they've rectified those problems and added alot of killer content. If it doesn't seem like your type of game, at least check out the 15 Day Free Trial. More info at ac2hq.com

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
eve online is definetly not your game :p very complex

but lineage2 was very easy to get into when I was in the beta

AtTheGates

Jun 11, 2003
City of Heroes is easy to learn and is fun from the start. Nothing like Morrowind (my all time favorite) but still a great game. Some people get bored with the game quickly but I'm still having a great time at level 30 and I see myself subscribing for several months to come.

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
World of Warcraft. Open beta is soon, if you try it then and don't like it you don't lose a dime.

The Stress Test was VERY easy to start playing compared to FFXI with it's ass-backwards controls.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: ArmchairAthlete
World of Warcraft. Open beta is soon, if you try it then and don't like it you don't lose a dime.

The Stress Test was VERY easy to start playing compared to FFXI with it's ass-backwards controls.

WoW was easy.

As for FFXI, you realize you could have changed the controls, right?

Lithan

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2004
Everquest has a lot of depth but is still simple to play. But all that depth is for naught because gameplay is about as fun as getting punched repeatedly in the bicep. Plus anytime you discover a strategy utilizing combining your skills (charm/feign, dark/fear, Sow/dot's) they decide it's an exploit and "fix" it.

I know a lot of people left EQ for DAOC and never came back.

I've heard only good about city of heros.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The original Asheron's Call took over my life for a year, and is very simple compared to other MMORPG. Even though it's almost 5 years old, it's still being updated every month with tons of new content, and another expansion will be released soon.

effee

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2004
EQ is mindless PvE over and over again, level after level. DAOC used to be good, now its all screwed up by Mythic.

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
Galaxies is the first paid MMORPG I've played (played PristonTale for a couple months previously). The interface can be pretty damn intimidating to a beginner. It really helps to have friends who play it to explain things to you. Luckily I have a few guys who play it in my UT clan that I voice chat with who helped me get started.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: effee
EQ is mindless PvE over and over again, level after level. DAOC used to be good, now its all screwed up by Mythic.

People say that about EQ is because that's all they see. But if you take a look at EQ as a whole, you'll see it offers FAR more than any other mmorpg out there. It offers more zones and more diverse zones than any other game. It has more variety of mobs than any other game. Combat takes more form than most games out there (some you can just power pull, some you can feign pull, some you'll need good crowd control abilities, small raids, large raids, certain classes can solo, etc etc). Tradeskilling is one of the best developed and most varied out there. Has more equipment and graphics of equipment out there than any other. etc etc.

People that say it's a game of grinding are saying that because when they quit the game, it's from the burnout of grinding. But if you take the amount of time that most people play before they get burn out from the grind to other games, you'll notice that the averge EQ gamer played much longer than other game. The other games might not seem as such a 'grind', because they quit LONG before the game becomes a grind, because they quit it for other reasons. But lets take the first half of EQ (lets say the first 35 levels) with any other game out there, and i bet you EQ has more content and more things to do (as well as a much larger social community) than any game out there.

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Hardcore

WoW was easy.

When I played, you were limited in how you could change the controls. Perhaps they've patched it.

For example, any letter or number key would bring up the chat prompt and you had to hold down CTRL and then hit a number key. As opposed to keys instantly letting off an ability with no holding multiple keys, and pressing enter to start typing a message and again to send it.

EDIT: Even if you can change the controls a lot now, it's important to have good *default* controls so people don't have to face another obstacle to start really playing (configuring controls).

blazer78

Feb 26, 2003
well, u might want to try out Lineage II, but now is a very bad time to learn how to play the game, u will almost instantly get PK'ed once u start exploring if your a new person unless u have a guide. Theres many people who are willing to help so i suppose its not that much of a problem.

As for FFXI, its good for beginners. i didn't have any problems with it when i first started.

Ragnarok Online is a must try if you like 2d mmorpg's. U can play free on private servers and there are a abundance of nice people playing lol. if i recall correctly some (most) servers don't allow PvP so the only things that'l kill u are mosters.

Aftermath

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Hardcore

WoW was easy.

When I played, you were limited in how you could change the controls. Perhaps they've patched it.

For example, any letter or number key would bring up the chat prompt and you had to hold down CTRL and then hit a number key. As opposed to keys instantly letting off an ability with no holding multiple keys, and pressing enter to start typing a message and again to send it.

EDIT: Even if you can change the controls a lot now, it's important to have good *default* controls so people don't have to face another obstacle to start really playing (configuring controls).

The easiest way to play FFXI is to use either a PS2 style gamepad, or to buy a ($4) USB adapter so you can use one with your PC. FFXI is nothing more than a PS2>PC port so all of the essential gameplay controls copy/paste directly onto the pad without and problem at all. You can select a 'compact mode' for keyboard controls however and use WASD for movement as well.

I vote for FFXI, but in all fairness, outside of a few days of EQ, it's the only MMORPG I've ever played. The learning curve on FFXI is pretty tame in my opinion. Took me a solid afternoon to really catch on and get in the swing of how the game worked. Maybe another day or two to pick up on some of the finer points. The learning curve isn't bad at all. Once you get to level 10 or so you start partying and learning group dynamics which undergo a few changes throughout the game. (Speaking as a level 57 PLD at the moment.)

Megadeth

Jun 14, 2004
Astonia (v3) should be easy enough to learn.

I used to play Astonia V2 all the time... Been trying to find someone who is hosting it now.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
So, i take it AC2 is the simpilist and easiest to learn and play?
and complete ass, albeit slightly less stinky ass than Lineage 2 and Horizons.