what medicine "cures barfs"?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
It's either the bacon wrapped hot dog at the farmer's market for brunch or the leftover pork cutlet from last night...either way, I got "food poisoning"...what is the best OTC medicine to stop this madness??!

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I don't think any medicine will do anything for food poisoning, what my friends do when they have food poisoning is drink a ton of water which causes them to throw up a lot but they claim it cleans out their system and gets them over the food poisoning quicker. I am unaware of a pill that will help you.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
White Castle. Seriously, eat a crave case and you'll shit and barf all of the badness out of your body.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
A nurse taught us a trick about this. Take a alcohol wipe and place it infront of your nose and inhale. She said anesthesiologist have done research into why this scent keeps you from wanting to throw up after you wake up from surgery, but they've never been able to pin point it. But they've found that it just plain works.

We learned this after my wife had surgery on her ACL. Good stuff and the wife said no doubt it worked.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
A nurse taught us a trick about this. Take a alcohol wipe and place it infront of your nose and inhale. She said anesthesiologist have done research into why this sent keeps you from wanting to throw up after you wake up from surgery, but they've never been able to pin point it. But they've found that it just plain works.

We learned this after my wife had surgery on her ACL. Good stuff and the wife said no doubt it worked.

Yeah, we do that in the PACU over here too, not sure why it works but it usually does. However, for food poisoning, you want to get the toxins out as soon as possible, so load up on the gatorade and let er rip.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
A nurse taught us a trick about this. Take a alcohol wipe and place it infront of your nose and inhale. She said anesthesiologist have done research into why this scent keeps you from wanting to throw up after you wake up from surgery, but they've never been able to pin point it. But they've found that it just plain works.

Yeah, we do that in the PACU over here too, not sure why it works but it usually does. However, for food poisoning, you want to get the toxins out as soon as possible, so load up on the gatorade and let er rip.

True, but still interesting and good to know!

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Yup, I personally think the body declares a state of nausea for good reason. Let it get the bad stuff out, you'll stop yakking when it's gone.

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: sjwaste
Yup, I personally think the body declares a state of nausea for good reason. Let it get the bad stuff out, you'll stop yakking when it's gone.

This is what I was thinking to... espically if it's food poisoning.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
A nurse taught us a trick about this. Take a alcohol wipe and place it infront of your nose and inhale. She said anesthesiologist have done research into why this sent keeps you from wanting to throw up after you wake up from surgery, but they've never been able to pin point it. But they've found that it just plain works.

PACU?

<----PACU nurse here, and yep we do that too, it sort of works, but I wonder if they stop puking so I take away that evil smelling alcohol wipe ;)

Give me Phenergan, Zofran, Reglan, or a decent CRNA that has premedicated my patient any day :)

And for the OP, there just aren't any good OTC medications that help, benadryl may help a bit, but if you have food poisoning, you may want to barf it up.

If it's not stopped in 12-24 hours or if you get dizzy when you stand up, go to the ER, you're getting dehydrated.