What makes a power supply AMD Approved?

y2kyu

Sep 19, 2000
I just bought a couple cases that came with a generic 250W PS. I want to use these with my Durons. I don't plan on having too many devices (floppy, cd-rom, 1-2 HDs, basic video card, and NIC). What makes a power supply "AMD Approved" and will I need one?

Thanks,
Ken

-EDIT: I posted this to the cases/cooling forum as well. Just thought the PS made a difference according to my processor.

Dravic

May 18, 2000
I'm no expert, but to my knowledge

The atlons eat up more volatge the p3's. Some 250ps(and some 300 for that matter) with a lot of devices were not providing the athlons with enough current, or not a clean enough line of current. Most of those problems occurred before the the newer motherboards were placing so many capacitors around the chip to ensure a clean stable line of power.

AMD approved just means they have tested it for good clean consistant current.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Since you have a Duron, I'm pretty sure a 250W PS should be fine. I'm not sure about the "AMD Approved", I don't even think mine is since I haven't had chance to upgrade the PS that came with my case with an "AMD Approved" PS. If you feel you need a new PS, Enermax make some great ones.