What major should i pick?

Kenny1234

Aug 31, 2003
Nuclear or Chemical engineering?

I'm leaning towards nuclear but can't make up my mind.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Kenny

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
electrical engineering....it's the best :p

navy's always looking for nuke engineers....so i guess you'll have a better job security w/ nuke eng.

jacob0401

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2001
Classics Major :p

I would pick chemical engineering, but that's just what I'm interested in. Besides I don't want to glow fluorescent green in the dark. :D

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Chemical... nuclear is way too narrow. When the industry goes bad, it's difficult to find employment in such a narrow field. Similar to what happened to aerospace years ago.

Kenny1234

Aug 31, 2003
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
electrical engineering....it's the best :p

navy's always looking for nuke engineers....so i guess you'll have a better job security w/ nuke eng.

I have a friend that is in the navy now for nuke but I dont want to spend 6 years in the navy.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
chemical is better. Much more broad => more job opportunities. Also, you can choose to specialize in something that you like. If you're just starting university, how do you know that specilizaing in nuke engineering is for you?

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
Originally posted by: kalster
watever it is
dont selet it based ONLY on what ppl say in this thread

That, too. Research on your own. People here will say anything.

I agree with that, too. This forum or anywhere else isn't exactly the smartest place to decide something like this.

DXM

Jul 26, 2003
I asked a simliar question a few months ago (My first post actually :)) and I'll sum up what everyone told me then: Do what you want to do. Research the type of jobs typical chemical and nuclear engineers find after graduating and the availability of jobs.

Also, although I can't say anything about nuclear engineering, I can tell you chemical engineering has one of the highest unit requirements of any major, so be prepared to spend a lot of time in your school's lab and working weekends. :(

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
I think you should be a Building Science major...'cause it sounds cool...a little bit...not really at all.