what little thing changed your life in 2021?

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
for me, it was getting rid of the clock next to my bed

i would look at it and worry about not being able to fall asleep and stay awake for hours

now i set the alarm on my phone and fall asleep much better as a result

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Buying a sappie to manipulate wood. It's become so essential, I bought three last year. I lost the first, broke the second, and I'm now on the third.

Reactions: brianmanahan

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
That's kinda fucked up. How do you and the old lady feel about that?

mixed feelings. We bought this house 3 years ago because his dad was going to let him move up here...bigger than we need for the two of us...then, after we closed, his dad changed his mind.
The part that really sucks is that he didn't bring hardly any clothes or personal stuff...and his dad is a piece of shit who will just throw everything away.

It would have been nice to have advanced notice...as it is, he's sleeping on an aerobed in our TV room. We'll eventually empty one of our extra bedrooms and get it set up for him, but as it stands, one is a fully furnished TV room, the other is my wife's sewing room.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Decided to start exercising to get healthy. Bought Peloton Bike+ and Concept 2 RowERG rower to complement our daily walks. Best purchases I made in long time. I notice vast difference in my daily energy level and just how I feel now that I'm exercising regularly.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Decided to start exercising to get healthy. Bought Peloton Bike+ and Concept 2 RowERG rower to complement our daily walks. Best purchases I made in long time. I notice vast difference in my daily energy level and just how I feel now that I'm exercising regularly.

just think of the Hermes scarves you could have bought instead...: p

• Haha
Reactions: Torn Mind

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
just think of the Hermes scarves you could have bought instead...: p
It's too difficult to buy popular Hermes scarves and items. It's not like you can just walk into Hermes store and buy what you want. It doesn't work like that. They don't care if you have money to buy. So no, I couldn't have bought Hermes scarves even if I wanted to. I'm not going to play stupid Hermes games and kiss the sales associates ass for the privilege to buy something that's artificially rare and expensive by design.

Reactions: Charmonium

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The company I work for literally put their money where their mouth was. Lots of places will say "You're a valued member of the company" and its just lip service. I was given a large raise, a bonus, and more autonomy. I actually turned down more responsibility that would have come with a larger raise. Not sure I want to be in charge of ~55 people especially when the CIO basically rubber stamps what I think should be done as it is. Our income was enough for the life that we wanted before the raise and our savings rate (>25%) already has us on track to retire in our 40s so there is even more freedom and comfort around occasional splurges.

It's not just about the money but also professional and internal validation that came from a conversation that showed not only that my work was valued but I was thought capable of taking on a larger role. Also most people in my family and social circle don't really understand what I do so I rarely talk about work for very long. But people have better ideas around what leading 60 people looks like and I saw a few change their internal calculus when I shared some of that story

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Gamifying exercise made a WORLD of difference for me. I get soooo bored exercising lol. VR workouts FTW! Holofit lets you hook up a rowing machine FWIW:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

Speaking of we had talked briefly in another thread about Tempo. While we're still waiting for some backordered items (kettle bells, bench, rack, etc) I have to say I like our Tempo so far. The quality of the items provided is good. Slow close doors, nice barbells and weights. Barbells fit snugly in their holders and slide in and out without issue despite close tolerances. Heart rate monitor connects instantly when powered on. Large touchscreen is accurate and interface is incredibly responsive. Good assortment of classes so far with a mix of live and pre-recorded. And I'm being rather picky at the moment as I am still recovering from a back issue so I need core, low impact and then good recovery options. I've never done anything with a leaderboard before and I'll be damned if that isn't effective. Even if I know its gamification I still have to make sure to beat mikeyd423 and others to retain my rank.

Biggest downside is their CS right now (Although that seems to be a common theme at the moment). Our delivery got outsourced and they no call no showed on the delivery date. Outsourcer outsourced the second attempt and box arrived beat to hell. Fortunately the screen was incredibly well padded but apparently one of the 45lbs weights fell out of the box somewhere and wasn't delivered for 7 more days. Only one delivery driver so no white glove delivery to the basement or removal of packing materials despite the promise of that. Tempo hasn't full made that right by us IMO yet despite a few calls to them. Theoretically there is a gift card on the way to offset what we paid for delivery but it hasn't arrived yet and my wife didn't ask them what the value of that was going to be.

(reflection is not as bad as the picture makes it and you can see some of the boxes we're still slowly putting out for recycling behind it)
PXL_20220102_182236575.jpg

Rest of workout area:
PXL_20220102_182306832.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Not sure how little...but our 17 year old grandson came to visit for Christmas. After he got here, his dad told him, "Just stay there. Don't come home."
That's going to make a huge change in our lives.

You're a good man for taking him in. If his home life is so toxic that his dad doesn't want him there, even though it's a big change in your life, you're doing that kid a HUGE service by giving him a safe environment where he feels wanted. My parents basically did the same thing for my brother's best friend in high school...he got regular food, my parents included him in our family-together time & events (they even did his birthdays, presents, cake, and all), a place to do his homework, etc. I was extremely fortunate to have good parents growing up, because as I got out into the real world, I started to see how many kids didn't get the great home life that I had, so props for stepping up to take care of him! He will appreciate it for the rest of his life.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Speaking of we had talked briefly in another thread about Tempo. While we're still waiting for some backordered items (kettle bells, bench, rack, etc) I have to say I like our Tempo so far. The quality of the items provided is good. Slow close doors, nice barbells and weights. Barbells fit snugly in their holders and slide in and out without issue despite close tolerances. Heart rate monitor connects instantly when powered on. Large touchscreen is accurate and interface is incredibly responsive. Good assortment of classes so far with a mix of live and pre-recorded. And I'm being rather picky at the moment as I am still recovering from a back issue so I need core, low impact and then good recovery options. I've never done anything with a leaderboard before and I'll be damned if that isn't effective. Even if I know its gamification I still have to make sure to beat mikeyd423 and others to retain my rank.

Biggest downside is their CS right now (Although that seems to be a common theme at the moment). Our delivery got outsourced and they no call no showed on the delivery date. Outsourcer outsourced the second attempt and box arrived beat to hell. Fortunately the screen was incredibly well padded but apparently one of the 45lbs weights fell out of the box somewhere and wasn't delivered for 7 more days. Only one delivery driver so no white glove delivery to the basement or removal of packing materials despite the promise of that. Tempo hasn't full made that right by us IMO yet despite a few calls to them. Theoretically there is a gift card on the way to offset what we paid for delivery but it hasn't arrived yet and my wife didn't ask them what the value of that was going to be.

(reflection is not as bad as the picture makes it and you can see some of the boxes we're still slowly putting out for recycling behind it)

Check out Chirp for your back:

I also got a special chair called the Backstrong because I've spent so much more time sitting in a chair over the COVID era:

That thing eliminated all of my back pain from sitting. 100% worth the money! I also got better shoes a few years ago for foot pain (New Balance with customized inserts), plus a special pillow that lets me stick my arm through the hole to get comfortable:

Zero back & foot pain these days, it's awesome! As far as workout stuff goes, I love stuff like Tempo, Mirror, Peloton, etc. because of the social aspect. It's called the Kohler Effect:

You know what they say—the more the merrier. Introducing another person into your training regimen could give you the extra push you’ve been looking for, at least according to a study from the Society of Behavioral Medicine. Researchers found that training with a virtual workout buddy helped people to exercise for a significantly longer period than those who trained by themselves.

In fact, this study’s buddied-up cardio bunnies were able to exercise for more than twice as long as solo trainers. Think about that for a moment. If you double the intensity of your workouts every time you go to the gym, you’re going to see some seriously impressive gains.

Interestingly, this experiment was run with a workout buddy who was on a virtual loop, meaning that the “partner” was never going to stop their workout. This implies that working out with stronger partners can improve our own performance. It’s called the Kohler effect, and it’s one of the key reasons why working out with a superior workout partner can have a seriously beneficial impact on your workouts.

I thought Peloton machines were super dumb due to the price when they first came out. Then, as more of my friends got them & actually started working out consistently, I realized they're worth the money, because a few thousand dollars up-front is worth the investment into your health in the long-run. All of the these virtual AI, pre-recorded, and live classes are having a HUGE impact on people's health & fitness, not because of magic, but because they actually get used! Everyone has an old exercise machine acting as a clothes hanger; so it's not really about availability, it's about consistency.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I actuall heard Fantasy in the early 2000s in Rush Hour. My fandom did not manifest until around 2019, hearing track 5 from that same album, which was Always Be My Baby. Actually stumbled into her protege, JoJo, first.

Funny that track 5 of album 5 was the start. I was introduced to Beethoven through his Symphony No. 5.

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I actuall heard Fantasy in the early 2000s in Rush Hour. My fandom did not manifest until around 2019, hearing track 5 from that same album, which was Always Be My Baby. Actually stumbled into her protege, JoJo, first.

Funny that track 5 of album 5 was the start. I was introduced to Beethoven through his Symphony No. 5.

It's funny, like, I was never into say, Adele, but then I heard a few songs & I was like dang these are pretty good!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Not really "little" but this bad boy has given me an enjoyment and passion that I didn't realize I have. I always enjoyed it as a kid but I have much more of an appreciation for it and now have a completely new hobby I never knew I wanted to have.

KSLHpbl.jpg

As for actual little thing, I'd say the vaccine because it allowed me to travel and feel more comfortable doing so, which was severely lacking in 2020 in my life. I went to St. Thomas twice, Puerto Rico, and Aruba. I also went to North Carolina but I don't really count that as "traveling" since we just drive there and it's an annual thing. Everywhere was with the whole fam except Puerto Rico was just with the wife (and another couple).

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Not really "little" but this bad boy has given me an enjoyment and passion that I didn't realize I have. I always enjoyed it as a kid but I have much more of an appreciation for it and now have a completely new hobby I never knew I wanted to have.

I don't have the room for it now (I only have space for those little 1up arcades), but someday when I move into a bigger place, I want to get into the virtual pinball systems with the digital screens, solenoids, etc.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I don't have the room for it now (I only have space for those little 1up arcades), but someday when I move into a bigger place, I want to get into the virtual pinball systems with the digital screens, solenoids, etc.

If you're into pinball then I wouldn't have that as your only machine. I've played one before at the guys house I got my Rush 2049 machines from. He had like 5 real pins and one of those virtual pins. it just feels off when playing it. It's hard to explain until you actually play it. I mean it's clearly virtual and the ball simply won't move as it would on a real one, like with the random balls bouncing around and stuff.

Even the owner said that he would never have one as his only pin but it is a good complementary thing to have.

If you ever get there, I'd definitely go find one to play before you invest the time and money into building one yourself.

Reactions: Muse