what laptops with WIDI?

dbarton

Apr 11, 2002
Looking at new laptops today at Microcenter and only a handful say WIDI anymore.

My impression is that the 3000 series i3 i5 i7s all support WIDI.

Do we just pick any laptop with this chip, then install drivers? Or, must it specifically say WIDI somewhere?

Thanks!

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
It's my understanding that WiDi only requires an Intel SNB/IVB Core series CPU, and that's coupled with an Intel Centrino WiFi adapter. The CPU of course is common, but Centrino WiFi is fairly rare in favor of cheaper solutions.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
My laptop supports this but really nothing else does unless you have an LG TV.

Adapters are pricey and kind of getting bad reviews even the Samsung.

The PS3 is the only device I recognize that works with it. It would be really important for a top tier device like the Roku to support it. Because I won't drop $100 on a Netgear media device.

On the other side the Airplay/Apple TV situation is really great. Intel really needs to step this up.

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
It's my understanding that WiDi only requires an Intel SNB/IVB Core series CPU, and that's coupled with an Intel Centrino WiFi adapter. The CPU of course is common, but Centrino WiFi is fairly rare in favor of cheaper solutions.
You could throw one of these in it. Cheap and usually an upgrade over whatever the laptop came with.