What kind of watch do you wear? POLL: Which arm do you wear your watch on?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: blackdogdeek
i think most people wear their watch on their left arm because the majority are right-handed, which i always figured is why the knobs are on the right side of the bezel.

Correct and correct! :)

It's also easier for a rightie to put on his/her left arm, and it doesn't get in the way when writing or doing other daily activities with the right hand.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Arkitech
wow I thought most people wore their watches on their right arm
you wear your watch on your left arm so you can wind it while wearing it (traditionally speaking, that is...)

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
$475 Seiko I bought for 50% off from a jeweler moving business back in 2001! :)
$150 12 year old Seiko
$free Fossil golf watch won from a radio station promotion 7 years ago

Left arm. Right arm is for non-hetrosexuals imo.

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
$475 Seiko I bought for 50% off from a jeweler moving business back in 2001! :)
$150 12 year old Seiko
$free Fossil golf watch won from a radio station promotion 7 years ago

Left arm. Right arm is for non-hetrosexuals imo.

I know a lot of left-handed people who wear their watch on their right arm.
Anyway, wear it on my left arm - the Fossil site doesn't have my watch on there anymore.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: kt
Originally posted by: Arkitech
wow I thought most people wore their watches on their right arm

Most being left-handed people. Don't you noticed that almost all watches are designed for people wearing it on their left arm?

doh

uhhh sure I knew that, I was just testing you

UTmtnbiker

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
Citizen Blue Angels Navihawk. Had it for about 6 years now. Think I paid something around $350 for it. I've had it's guts ripped out under warranty, it's battery changed I think 2 times. I think I'll be replacing the crystal soon as the face is scratched up. Wear it on my left arm.

Been looking at the Omega Seamaster Chrono Ti or a Breitling as a nice wedding gift for myself as I don't like to wear rings.

I'm sort of a watch freak. Only piece of jewelery that I can stand to wear.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
There are three reasons that people right-handed people wear it on the left arm and that left-handed people wear it on their right arm.
(1) This is the main reason now. Sit at a table or desk. Get out a piece of paper to write with. To keep the paper stationary, right-handed people almost always use their left hand to hold the paper down (vise versa with left-handed people). Thus if you wear the watch on the arm which is holding down your work, you can always see the time without moving any body part. It is great for homework or business paperwork. It is especially useful if you are in a hurry. (This is the same reason most people wear their watch face pointing out. Otherwise the watch face would be scratching the tabletop while writing and cannot be seen).
(2) You are more likely to be using your favored hand for other uses - and it is too busy to lift to see the time of day. Your opposite arm is less used, and thus is free to lift and see the watch.
(3) Winding watches. This is becoming a moot point, but winding a watch is much easier when it is worn on the opposite arm.