What kind of speed would I need

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
What kind of connection speed would I need to run a FTP server in my own house? Say good enough for people to get reasonable downloads and not complain and what not. What do you guys think?

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
depends on how many people are on at any one time and how fast they consider being fast enough. I would say you would need atleast 3mbps up to even consider doing

orakle

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2002
reasonable for me is around 200kB/sec so that demands a hell of a residential connection to have that on the upload.... my cable line can push about 100kB/sec up, I think that's pretty adequate for a tiny ftp for your buddies or whatever. Be aware that if you don't throttle the server to about 85% of your max upload your connection's going to get hosed and you wont be able to do anything while the server's running.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: orakle22
reasonable for me is around 200kB/sec so that demands a hell of a residential connection to have that on the upload.... my cable line can push about 100kB/sec up, I think that's pretty adequate for a tiny ftp for your buddies or whatever. Be aware that if you don't throttle the server to about 85% of your max upload your connection's going to get hosed and you wont be able to do anything while the server's running.

agreed

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Falloutboy
depends on how many people are on at any one time and how fast they consider being fast enough. I would say you would need atleast 3mbps up to even consider doing

:roll: oooooohhhh....k. I've run ftp's on Wayyyy slower connections than that, just limit users to 2 or 3 at a time if you have a really slow connection. My favorite program was (is) ServU its great and simple to use and allows tons of configurations.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
This is a stupid question. There is no right answer with the amount of information you've given.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: mugs
This is a stupid question. There is no right answer with the amount of information you've given.

Yup, what kind of content is this? If you are transfering 3KB word documents, a 56k or ISDN line could be enough. If its linux isos that are 700mb each most users would expect 400kb/s or so from you so they'd want 3-10mbps speeds.