What kind of records can you obtain from your public school education?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
I did kindergarten in another country. 1st grade was my first school in the US. Towards the end of 1st grade I got some tests of some kind where they pulled me out of class several times for me to meet with a psychologist and he had me do logic puzzles and answer some random questions. I'm guessing that was an IQ test. After that, they skipped me from 2nd grade to 3rd grade, and later in elementary school they announced the Gifted and Talented (GATE) program at our school and I was included in that. I switched to another elementary school and was put in a similar program to GATE where they pulled about 6 people total from my grade level out of class several afternoons each month to meet with these grad students who had us do special projects.

While I did pretty well in school a lot of teachers would meet with my parents and tell them that I did brilliant work... when i actually did work. I would goof off in class sometimes, and not turn in assignments. Also procrastinated a lot and this sometimes affected the quality of my work.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I've just always been curious about what kind of notes my teachers have collected about me over the years, and what exactly that test they did in 1st grade was about, and what the results were if any.

Is there a way to get this kind of information? Who would I ask? When I graduated high school they gave us our "transcripts" which basically was a collection of all our report cards from 1st - 12th grade. Nothing else like i mentioned above.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I don't know about today but when I was a kid one of the big "threats" the teachers would use is that "this will go into your permanent record" like there was some master file that would follow us around for the rest of our lives. Unlike today we had hand written report cards that ended up being sent home to your parents at the end of the year with all those type of comments preserved for posterity if your parents kept them.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
All the important documents like test scores and report cards are in your "permanent record", but I'm not sure about things like teachers notes or disciplinary measures.

You can request it at your high school, just show up with personal ID and ask. I'm not quite sure if they give you access to your permanent record or just your transcript; I guess it may just depend on the school.

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
WHO KNOWS THIS.

I read online that the records are available to parents, and once the student turns 18 the records are only released to govt. agencies or the student.

Everything that was tracked about the student is available except for personal notes by staff/teachers (which wouldn't have been in any "records" in the first place, this means like notes the teacher makes and never shares with anyone else).

I'm going to try contacting my elementary school sometime over the next couple of weeks to see what they can provide. Most likely they will redirect me to a county record keeping location to get the info.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
What kind of records can you obtain from your public school education?

Depending on where you go to school...a criminal record isn't out of the realm of possibility...:p

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
I've just always been curious about what kind of notes my teachers have collected about me over the years, and what exactly that test they did in 1st grade was about, and what the results were if any.

Is there a way to get this kind of information? Who would I ask?

do you really care? does anyone in the real world really care if you did well in Finger Painting 101?

Status
Not open for further replies.