What kind of Paypal account you guys/girls using?

elevashun

Member
May 6, 2004
163
0
0
I don't know if this is the right forum.. but seems like it.

Anyway, I'm tired of having pay these damn Paypal fees with my Paypal premier accnt. I don't know about you guys, but when I sell something (especially on Ebay) I end up losing way too much. So, I was thinking of downgrading my account to a "Personal Account" that way when I receive payments I'm not charged. I don't do a lot selling anyway, so it sounds like a good way to go. I have just gotten into this community of for/sale trade forums, so it would be more convenient. I understand that you aren't supposed to sell with a personal account?? Also, I would no longer be able to receive credit card payments.

Just wondering what kind of account you are using for Paypal (especially for sale/trade forums).. Would I lose a lot from downgrading?

Also, I searched Paypal, and I can add a personal account to my business account, so would this work if I used a personal account to receive payments (I know you aren't supposed to :D)

Just curious.

Thanks
 

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
11,542
5
81
I have both a personal and premier account... one for credit card stuffs, the other for echecks/debit/bank payments.
 

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
78,794
266
116
I have a Paypal personal account, because charging fees to accept ALL incoming payments sucks.

My wife has both a Paypal personal and premier account. So I can have Paypal cc payments sent to her.

A lot of people don't know that you can have two Paypal accounts.
 
Aug 16, 2001
22,529
4
81
Originally posted by: elevashun
I don't know if this is the right forum.. but seems like it.

Anyway, I'm tired of having pay these damn Paypal fees with my Paypal premier accnt. I don't know about you guys, but when I sell something (especially on Ebay) I end up losing way too much. So, I was thinking of downgrading my account to a "Personal Account" that way when I receive payments I'm not charged. I don't do a lot selling anyway, so it sounds like a good way to go. I have just gotten into this community of for/sale trade forums, so it would be more convenient. I understand that you aren't supposed to sell with a personal account?? Also, I would no longer be able to receive credit card payments.

Just wondering what kind of account you are using for Paypal (especially for sale/trade forums).. Would I lose a lot from downgrading?

Also, I searched Paypal, and I can add a personal account to my business account, so would this work if I used a personal account to receive payments (I know you aren't supposed to :D)

Just curious.

Thanks

There is a limit on how payments you can RECEIVE on a personal account. At the moment i think it is $1000/month.
I hate the fees too. I might just downgrade but I am not sure if I can still have my CC connected to my account to make payments.
 

elevashun

Member
May 6, 2004
163
0
0
What account are you guys using for receiving payments?

Say I'm selling something on the for/trade forum.. Could payments be sent to my personal account so I don't have to be charged fees?

There is a limit on how payments you can RECEIVE on a personal account. At the moment i think it is $1000/month. Yeah, $1000 a month, but thats not bad since I doubt I receive that much money a month.

Also, in order to have a premier account do you need a credit card AND bank accnt on file, or just one of them?

Thanks
 

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
11,542
5
81
It depends. If someone wants to pay with a credit card, I use my Premier account. If they are paying with the other type of bank/check funds, I use my personal account. It's stupid to take payments on the premier account unless they are CC funds, because you will get charged a %, where a personal account you can accept bank.check funds for free. So however they are paying determines which account i use.
 
Aug 16, 2001
22,529
4
81
Originally posted by: murphy55d
It depends. If someone wants to pay with a credit card, I use my Premier account. If they are paying with the other type of bank/check funds, I use my personal account. It's stupid to take payments on the premier account unless they are CC funds, because you will get charged a %, where a personal account you can accept bank.check funds for free. So however they are paying determines which account i use.

Good point.

Edit: Is it ethical to charge the buyer the 2.9% fee if he wants to pay with CC to your premium account?
 

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
11,542
5
81
I'm not sure you charging the fee is kosher... forget if that's an Anandtech FS/FT rule, or a paypal "rule", or where I read that. Honestly I just factor a few dollars more into the price of what I'm selling, depending on it's value, and never make any mention of paypal fees.
 

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
4,841
0
71
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
Originally posted by: murphy55d
It depends. If someone wants to pay with a credit card, I use my Premier account. If they are paying with the other type of bank/check funds, I use my personal account. It's stupid to take payments on the premier account unless they are CC funds, because you will get charged a %, where a personal account you can accept bank.check funds for free. So however they are paying determines which account i use.

Good point.

Edit: Is it ethical to charge the buyer the 2.9% fee if he wants to pay with CC to your premium account?

I'd say is ethical but paypal doesnt allow it, nor do visa or mastercard theselves. :(
 

elevashun

Member
May 6, 2004
163
0
0
Sounds good.. I will probably just use a personal account and accept non-cc payments only.

When you make a payment on paypal, you have to choose what the payment is for (ebay, goods, etc). So its perfectly fine to accept a payment for ebay or goods with a personal account (of course assuming its a non-cc payment)? I think Paypal says your not supposed to.. but do they even question you if you accept a payment w/ your personal account even if its for an ebay auction?
 

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
4,841
0
71
Originally posted by: elevashun
Sounds good.. I will probably just use a personal account and accept non-cc payments only.

When you make a payment on paypal, you have to choose what the payment is for (ebay, goods, etc). So its perfectly fine to accept a payment for ebay or goods with a personal account (of course assuming its a non-cc payment)? I think Paypal says your not supposed to.. but do they even question you if you accept a payment w/ your personal account even if its for an ebay auction?

There is nothing wrong with using a personal account for payments.

I suggest you do like many of us, and leave your premier and open a second personal one.
 

elevashun

Member
May 6, 2004
163
0
0
Damn.. do you need a credit card for a paypal accnt, or does a bank accnt work? Lol I forgot when I signed up.. I only have one credit card/one bank account on file. I was thinking of using a credit card on one account and a bank account on the other. That doesn't work does it?
 

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
3,076
0
0
This is considered avoiding fees, if they catch you in the act, you will be charged all the fees you avoided plus closed your personal account. :(
 

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
78,794
266
116
Originally posted by: elevashun
Damn.. do you need a credit card for a paypal accnt, or does a bank accnt work? Lol I forgot when I signed up.. I only have one credit card/one bank account on file. I was thinking of using a credit card on one account and a bank account on the other. That doesn't work does it?

You do know that most banks will open ANOTHER checking account for you, for free, in about 5 minutes and with no credit check. Right?

My wife visited her Credit Union, asked them to open a new checking account, she signed a piece of paper and 2 minutes later it was done. She was even able to nickname it "Paypal" via the CU's online banking interface.
 

elevashun

Member
May 6, 2004
163
0
0
This is considered avoiding fees, if they catch you in the act, you will be charged all the fees you avoided plus closed your personal account.

Has this happened to you? Couple people replied earlier saying they receive non-cc payments on their personal account, no problems. Maybe Paypal does it to people who do it excessively. I don't plan to sell a lot, just once in a while, when I do want do have things to get rid of.