What kind of overclock can I expect from a E7200

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
I know that each cpu will differ but what range can I expect from a cpu that shows a core voltage of 1.128 in Cpu-Z?

Its at 3.166GHz right now with the stock cooler. Its still in the ECS motherboard that I bought the combo with. I also have a Gigabyte P45 waiting that I will likely install this weekend. I see that Microcenter has a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 on sale for $15 after rebate. I think that I should try overclocking with the stock cooler first. If I just use the stock voltage I am thinking that it may not even overclock enough to warrant an aftermarket cooler. Thoughts?

And am I right in thinking that if I just adjust the FSB and leave the voltage and multiplier alone, speedstep (or whatever Intel cpu frequency adjust) should still work if enabled (it is currently off)? This is my first Intel setup.

edit: Finally installed the Gigabyte EP45-DS3L. Yes, almost two months later!

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: edplayer
I know that each cpu will differ but what range can I expect from a cpu that shows a core voltage of 1.128 in Cpu-Z?

Its at 3.166GHz right now with the stock cooler. Its still in the ECS motherboard that I bought the combo with. I also have a Gigabyte P45 waiting that I will likely install this weekend. I see that Microcenter has a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 on sale for $15 after rebate. I think that I should try overclocking with the stock cooler first. If I just use the stock voltage I am thinking that it may not even overclock enough to warrant an aftermarket cooler. Thoughts?

And am I right in thinking that if I just adjust the FSB and leave the voltage and multiplier alone, speedstep (or whatever Intel cpu frequency adjust) should still work if enabled (it is currently off)? This is my first Intel setup.

Thread

Kingbee13

Jul 17, 2007
Originally posted by: edplayer

What kind of temps are you getting at 3.166 on the stock cooler? I never bothered to install the stock cooler on mine so I cant speak about that, but I would say your getting close to the limits at stock voltage, at that CPUZ voltage it's possible that you have a 1.5 or 1.75 VID (more likely that later) CPU not the best but seems what everyone is getting lately

I've got mine running at 3.7 but thats with overbvolting and cooling is handled by the venerable Tuniq Tower, I believe I hit 3.2 on stock voltages but that was with the Tuniq

If you turn it own speedstep will work voltage, multiplier, FSB you can change em all

just see what you can get on stock cooling, with aftermarket air cooling you will more than likely end up at the 3.6-3.8

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
So I finally installed the EP45-DS3L.

Everything ran fine at stock for about two days so I started messing around a little. 3.166MHz, everything OK. 3.2GHz, having some issues figuring out the memory divider. I thought there would be a page in BIOS that would clearly tell how to calculate it but it isn't so clear to me. After a few tries, including one where my cheapo Crucial ram was at 500MHz yet seeming to do OK, I have 3.2GHz stable with the ram 1:1 (8x400MHz, 6-6-6-18 (this is cheapo Crucial, the kind that goes on sale for 15 or $20 after MIR for 4GB)). Tried 3.4GHz (8.5x400) and it wouldn't post. Back to 3.2

Haven't ever done stability testing but tried Prime95 for the first time last night. Ran it only about 45 minutes and it didn't give me any problems in that short time. Room temps were about 20° C at the time and it was idling at 35° C (This is in an Antec Sonata III w a 9600GT SSC (no external exhaust), two hard drives and one optical. Using the single stock 120mm rear fan only.). Peaked at 57° C during prime95. This is still with the stock Intel HSF.

Would like to get to 3.4GHz but I don't think that will happen with stock voltage.

Now, I'm not really stuck on using factory voltage but I do want to use Speedstep. I had C1 and EIST on when I first started overclocking this setup, turned it off and will turn them back on in a few days once I'm sure there are no problems. If anyone here knows if I can use a higher voltage yet still have the Speedstep function please post.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
Originally posted by: jaredpace
eh?

Yes, you can use a higher voltage & continue to use speedstep.

I want speedstep with frequency AND voltage control. Turning on speedstep on my setup changes the cpu multiplier but the voltage stays the same. If you know how to do both (on a Gigabyte EP45-DS3L) please post how...

The choices seem to be:

Auto (what it is set to now)

Normal (this allow both frequency and voltage control but will only use factory voltage or lower)

Choose your own voltage