what kind of oil do you use in your deep fryer?

flamingelephant

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
We just got a deep fryer and the instructions dont say what kind of oil to use... what do you use in your deep fryer? Shortning? canola oil? corn oil?

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Veg or Canola worked fine for us. You can use peanut oil and probably others too, but, not good for you.

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
as others have said, use whatever oil you like (in terms of flavor). You should aim for oils with higher burning temps though (peanut oil is good for this reason or light olive oil).

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
i thought about using olive oil after watching alot of emeril live so i could have some reason to say Bam! more often.

but i just buy vegetable oil and keep dreaming...

what kind of fryer did you get? i got a bravetti "flash" fryer a couple years ago for christmas, has the heater in the oil, love the thing

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I use vegetable oil, generally. As other people have said, use the type of oil that works best as far as flavor and whatnot are concerned.

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
Peanut oil is the best as it withstands higher temperatures and doesn't break down as quickly as other oils. It's much more expensive, though.

Whoever said Olive Oil - forget it. It doesn't stand up to the temperatures needed for frying. Emeril does not fry in olive oil.

I use regular vegetable oil and it works well. Don't buy cheap store brand oil though - it emits a strange smell and the food tastes weird.

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: bozo1
Whoever said Olive Oil - forget it. It doesn't stand up to the temperatures needed for frying. Emeril does not fry in olive oil.

that is why I mentioned light olive oil above; it seems to burn at a much higher temp. Also, you can get peanut oil cheap (albeit in large tubs).