What kind of Milk Thistle for liver support?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Why does your liver need support? Assuming it does, a doctor would give better advice, and medications that are more likely to work.

Reactions: Printed Circuit Bro

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Why does your liver need support? Assuming it does, a doctor would give better advice, and medications that are more likely to work.

I drink a lot. Just want to be on safe side. I ain't going to no doctor, period, leave that at that.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Research
Milk thistle has been used for a number of purposes including treatment of liver disease, prevention and treatment of cancer, and supportive treatment of poisoning from death cap mushrooms; however, clinical study results were described as heterogeneous and contradictory.[10] A 2007 Cochrane Review included eighteen randomized clinical trials which assessed milk thistle in 1088 patients with alcoholic and/or hepatitis B or C virus liver diseases. It questioned the beneficial effects and highlighted the lack of high-quality evidence. The review concluded that more good-quality, randomized clinical trials are needed.[11] Cancer Research UK say that milk thistle is promoted on the internet for its claimed ability to slow certain kinds of cancer, but that there is no good evidence in support of these claims.[12] Milk thistle may appear to stimulate prolactin due to possibly estrogenic activity.[13]

Toxicity
Milk thistle based supplements have been measured to have the highest mycotoxin concentrations of up to 37 mg/kg when compared to various plant-based dietary supplements.[14]

I'd cut down on drinking, but then I tend to do stupid shit like that.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'd cut down on drinking, but then I tend to do stupid shit like that.
Yup+++

It would be like continuing to smoke cigarettes, but taking a multivitamin to be on the "safe side".

Heavy drinking over long periods will likely damage your liver. No way around that, and there's no magic pill or supplement to prevent that.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Stop drinking or get help to stop drinking. You're trying to put a band-aid over a severed arm.