What Kind Of Meals Are You Guys Making Now?

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I have been noticing some stately mushrooms growing at the edges of my large compost pile at the back of my yard, which sits under a very large plum tree. I figured them for Lepiota Rachodes, the "Shaggy Parasol," which grows the world over and I fancy I've seen here and there for many years here in the Bay Area. I've never eaten any because I didn't take the time to verify it was LR. I did so a few days ago (David Arora's famed excellent book that focuses on mushrooms of the Bay Area, Mushrooms Demystified, which I've had for decades). I cooked up one nice large specimen a few days ago. David (and others) have stressed the wisdom of cooking this shroom because uncooked it causes distress in some people. I did so, of course. It's considered one of the most delicious of mushrooms and the most beautiful mushroom to be found in Russia.
Chlorophyllum-rachodes4.jpg
Be careful because a bunch of Amanitas look a bit like that, and you totally don't want to eat them!

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
Chlorophyllum molybdites is the closest lookalike and from wiki it's the "most commonly misidentified poisonous mushroom in North America."
I've had parasol mushrooms lots of times, but we don't pick shaggy parasols, literature is a bit iffy on that one.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have been noticing some stately mushrooms growing at the edges of my large compost pile at the back of my yard, which sits under a very large plum tree. I figured them for Lepiota Rachodes, the "Shaggy Parasol," which grows the world over and I fancy I've seen here and there for many years here in the Bay Area. I've never eaten any because I didn't take the time to verify it was LR. I did so a few days ago (David Arora's famed excellent book that focuses on mushrooms of the Bay Area, Mushrooms Demystified, which I've had for decades). I cooked up one nice large specimen a few days ago. David (and others) have stressed the wisdom of cooking this shroom because uncooked it causes distress in some people. I did so, of course. It's considered one of the most delicious of mushrooms and the most beautiful mushroom to be found in Russia.
Chlorophyllum-rachodes4.jpg
Made a swell cream of mushroom soup with a ~5" across fresh specimen this morning. Hope to enjoy similar over the winter months. Maybe year round if I keep my compost pile moist... I try to do that.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Chlorophyllum molybdites is the closest lookalike and from wiki it's the "most commonly misidentified poisonous mushroom in North America."
I've had parasol mushrooms lots of times, but we don't pick shaggy parasols, literature is a bit iffy on that one.
I've seen the pictures of that poisonous shroom. My Lep Roch look very different. I've been eyeing them for decades around here. Besides, the poisonous look-similars are not common around here. Lep Roch are quite common. I'm not worried. I was, not now. I took the time over the last week to look into it. Lep Roch an be dried too and reconstituted they are great, so they say. I have a few slices drying right now.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
I've seen the pictures of that poisonous shroom. My Lep Roch look very different. I've been eyeing them for decades around here. Besides, the poisonous look-similars are not common around here. Lep Roch are quite common. I'm not worried. I was, not now. I took the time over the last week to look into it. Lep Roch an be dried too and reconstituted they are great, so they say. I have a few slices drying right now.
C. molybdites apparently not uncommon in N. America, although I can't remember if I've seen any of these 3 (parasol, shaggy parasol, false parasol) in eastern Canada. The other two are common in Europe.
If you pick parasols very young while still in egg/button stage where cap hasn't opened yet, it's possible to confuse them with some Amanitas at the same stage. Otherwise, not so much.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
C. molybdites apparently not uncommon in N. America, although I can't remember if I've seen any of these 3 (parasol, shaggy parasol, false parasol) in eastern Canada. The other two are common in Europe.
If you pick parasols very young while still in egg/button stage where cap hasn't opened yet, it's possible to confuse them with some Amanitas at the same stage. Otherwise, not so much.
I have only picked 4, the first was expanded and I picked it to get a spore print. The 2nd I ate, the 3rd I ate this morning, made soup out of it. The 4th I picked today, it was ~6" across and pretty old. I discarded it because the gills had absorbed too much dirt.

I have a clutch of 4 out there right now in that button stage. I wasn't tempted to pick them, partly because I figure they'll get a lot bigger if I let them mature. I'll keep in mind what you say about letting Lep Roch expand into a shaggy parasol. I'm pretty confident on it. I've seen pictures of the other Lepiotas, the Amanitas too, and a mature Lep Roch is distinctively different from them.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Got a special one for you guys tonight. We decided and by we I mean my wonderful wife decided to make another awesome curry! This time it's a combination of more veggies from the garden and pork on a bed of rice with some homemade naan!

Enjoy!

Ingredients include: Bone in pork, tofu, onion, bell pepper, carrots, lemon grass shoots and butternut squash.
IMG_20211103_170219088_HDR.jpg

Kneading the dough for the naan.
IMG_20211103_170841572_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211103_181451279_HDR.jpg

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I cannot cook curry due to kids not liking it :(
That's a god damn shame man....it is seriously some of the best food we have ever made and we have only scratched the surface of what foods from this region of the world can offer.

Maybe try again with something more mild? I know a lot of people think curry and instantly think spicy hot but curry is so much more than that.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That's a god damn shame man....it is seriously some of the best food we have ever made and we have only scratched the surface of what foods from this region of the world can offer.

Maybe try again with something more mild? I know a lot of people think curry and instantly think spicy hot but curry is so much more than that.

Picky eaters don't care. I like to cook curry beef brisket and curry stir fried udon.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Picky eaters don't care. I like to cook curry beef brisket and curry stir fried udon.
Hmmmm.......well then might I suggest getting rid of those pesky picky eaters?:)
I know that's not an option but hey maybe you can sneak in some of those lovely
spices into their regular rotation to help curb their pallet. Just a suggestion....

Never tried curry beef brisket or curry stir fry udon before but
if you don't mind sharing your recipe we would love trying them.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Hmmmm.......well then might I suggest getting rid of those pesky picky eaters?:)
I know that's not an option but hey maybe you can sneak in some of those lovely
spices into their regular rotation to help curb their pallet. Just a suggestion....

Never tried curry beef brisket or curry stir fry udon before but
if you don't mind sharing your recipe we would love trying them.

I am more of a eyeball cook so I can't give you precise recipe. Here is one that is pretty close to what I make.

Stir fry curry udon.

Frozen udon (Asian supermarket)
Pop them in boiling water to loosen them. They just need to be returned to normal form. I tend to use a pack of it.

Cut up 2 chicken thigh meat.
fishballs if you can get them. About half a pound. If not pressed tofu. Shrimps are good too.

ginger about 2 cubic inch sliced
4 cloves of garlic cracked open
curry powder, I use Vietnamese. Probably four tablespoons.
korean cabbage, about same volume as udon. Cut to double the size of chicken.

Start by heating up peanut oil (or something with high smoke point) to medium high, dump in ginger garlic green onion and half the curry powder and stir fry for a min or so. Make sure you don't burn the spices. You can take out the ginger and garlic once that is done.
Dump in chicken and brown the chicken, set aside when they are almost done. Stir fry the cabbage and fishballs (shrimps), add a bit of water to release stuff on the bottom of pot.
Remove cabbage and fishballs (shrimps), add in more oil, the udon and rest of curry powder, stir fry a few min. Then add chicken and cabbage back in and mix well. You may starch at this point if you prefer a wetter nodle.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbhaag

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I like this guy's channel. He does lots of great stuff on it. This is his curry episode

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Basmati is way too starchy for me. I cannot diggest it properly.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Beef ribs finger meat IP stewed with potatoes, carrot and onion served with sourdough bread.

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Enjoying homemade pizza and calzones tonight. Dough was made from scratch and some of the toppings came out of the garden even the sauce.
IMG_20211106_181427389_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I had spicy scallop roll and miso soup for dinner. I used frozen scallops I bought from Costco. I thawed and used it raw. It's first time eating raw scallop from Costco. I hope I don't get sick and die.

It was absolutely delicious so I will be making it again if I live.

dEscpToh.jpg

MddovoBh.jpg

Reactions: bbhaag

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That's what frozen chicken nuggets are for! ;)

no that's for school lunches :p I am out of options on what to give them that doesn't need to be heated up and they are willing to eat. And it is reaching saturation point soon :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Captante