What Kind Of Meals Are You Guys Making Now?

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I bet he could turn you into a nice stew!
I'm huge fan of soup, stew, and noodles. That's my comfort food. I want to travel again so bad so I can try all the wonderful food from around the world.

I just had Singapore bak kut teh for lunch. Bak kut teh is pork tea soup. It's not really pork tea soup but oolong tea is often served with the soup to counterbalance the fat and richness of the pork in the soup. But instead of using white pepper, I used black pepper. I used minced garlic instead of whole garlic when I toasted the pepper and garlic. You work with what you have and you adapt the dish to suit your taste.

I added glass noodles because I like it in clear soups and is often found in Korean beef rib soups. It's not in Singapore bak kut teh but since I'm making it, I can modify and add whatever I want. And I made two different but similar dipping sauces for the pork ribs. First one with fish sauce, garlic, green onions, and soy sauce and second one with oyster sauce, soy sauce, and green onions. Again something different and normally not served with bak kut teh soup.

SOPUxw3h.jpg

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
good grief i think some of you guys cook better then most of the restaurants ive been dinning at in Los Angeles. :T
I would seriously pay without thinking twice for some of these stuff u guys shown.

I rather eat what others cook! I want to travel, explore, and eat restaurant and street foods again.

LOL... my parents have a Jaminim that cooks all that korean stuff, and i go a food raid every now and then when they have excess banchan.... lol.
So i guess im in your shoes of id rather eat what others definitely cook.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I baked chicken leg quarters with salt and white pepper. Served with steamed rice.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
starts off with a little funk and then goes to heat
Interesting, I'd love to try it next time we make fajitas. I'm a huge jalapeno fan and am always looking for new ways to incorporate them into our cooking. Do you have a recipe or it is something you just buy at the store?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Interesting, I'd love to try it next time we make fajitas. I'm a huge jalapeno fan and am always looking for new ways to incorporate them into our cooking. Do you have a recipe or it is something you just buy at the store?
i dabble in fermentation. i do kimchi, sauerkraut, pickles, ginger beer, and now these. it was about a pound and a quarter of ripe jalapenos (though they were very triangular so i suspect they may have been mislabeled fresnos), tops cut off, with a quarter of a medium onion thin sliced, 1/2 a large carrot shredded (could have done more but got tired of shredding, i suppose i could use the food processor instead of the peeler), 4 cloves of garlic, and 2 serranos. put those into jars and covered with 4% brine solution (curse anyone using cups and teaspoons in brine recipes), let rot on the counter for 5 days (longer if you keep your kitchen cooler, mine is probably 77-78 on average througout the day). strained the solids, put into a blender with a cup of the brine, may have added a bit more to loosen it some. a vitamix probably would have resulted in something smoother but i'm happy with it.

Pic from about 2 days in:
d4803c39467991e9fb4e72b04279e02d.jpg

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Made Taiwanese rice milk 米漿.
really more breakfast fare but I like it. Not great for digestion lol.
IMG_20201029_212853.jpg

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
if shorty was not a moron shorty would learn how to do fried rice and be fat and joyous and happy.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Tonight I am making Instant Pot meatloaf with Yukon gold potatoes.

:D

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Steamed minced garlic with ground pork, stir fried cabbage with bonito shaving, Taiwanese saussage and laver scrumbled egg soup.

Reactions: Iron Woode