What Kind Of Meals Are You Guys Making Now?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Cinco de Mayo is fast approaching. May try this again.

spaghettios.jpg

Spaghetti-O's with hot dogs. salsa, bacon and mustard???

• Haha
Reactions: JEDIYoda

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
kongnamulbap (soybean sprouts bibimbap)

oVc9jkth.jpg

6Y94eiCh.jpg

And bought box of napa cabbage and box of korean radish to make kimchi tomorrow.
CAW9mfKh.jpg

But today we have to prepare the cabbage. Just finished cutting the cabbages in half and salting it. Going to let it sit overnight in the salt brine. Have to flip it about every 3-4 hours during the night for even coverage. My wife is kimchi master, and I'm her helper. We make a great team. Making kimchi in bulk is not easy for one person as it's very involved process.
PHC8az8.jpg

8hylmws.jpg

If we lived by the ocean, we would've used ocean water to salt the cabbage. But sadly we don't. But sea salt in water works just as well.

Reactions: ElFenix

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
kongnamulbap (soybean sprouts bibimbap)

oVc9jkth.jpg

6Y94eiCh.jpg

And bought box of napa cabbage and box of korean radish to make kimchi tomorrow.
CAW9mfKh.jpg

But today we have to prepare the cabbage. Just finished cutting the cabbages in half and salting it. Going to let it sit overnight in the salt brine. Have to flip it about every 3-4 hours during the night for even coverage. My wife is kimchi master, and I'm her helper. We make a great team. Making kimchi in bulk is not easy for one person as it's very involved process.
PHC8az8.jpg

8hylmws.jpg

If we lived by the ocean, we would've used ocean water to salt the cabbage. But sadly we don't. But sea salt in water works just as well.
where is the Egyptian grasshoppers???

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I knew that having small children often means no sleep... but... Cabbage? Freaking Cabbage? Requires attention every 4 hours during the night? Are you serious???

F that. Chef Boy'R'Dee incoming.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I knew that having small children often means no sleep... but... Cabbage? Freaking Cabbage? Requires attention every 4 hours during the night? Are you serious???

hahahaaaaa....yeah!! Spaghetti O`s.......Kids love them!!

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

lol. People stay up during overnight BBQ cooks. I did that once or twice for overnight pork butt smoke when I first started out. I no longer do that because I'm gotten much better at BBQ and cook hot and fast now during the daytime now. I haven't done overnight BBQ in years.

I would argue cabbage is far more serious and important than BBQ. Brisket or pork butt is couple meals while cabbage is something I will be eating with every meal for months. I don't have to get up to flip the cabbage. Just like I really don't have to flip the brisket when I'm brining it for days to make pastrami. But I do it because it makes for superior finished product. It's little details that lead to superior product.

It's simple. It's about love. If you love something, you will sacrifice.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's simple. It's about love. If you love something, you will sacrifice.
I apologize for my rude post. It's clear that you love what you do. I could never put in that much effort. Carry on! (And I do love all of the pics of what you cook!)

Reactions: ponyo

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I apologize for my rude post. It's clear that you love what you do. I could never put in that much effort. Carry on! (And I do love all of the pics of what you cook!)
There's no need to apologize! I didn't find your post rude at all. :) I love food. Cooking and eating brings me joy. And I like simple food over pretty food.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
All finished! Should have enough napa and radish kimchi for around 3 months. 6 months if we stretch it. :)

i1rN0z7h.jpg

RnyhhqWh.jpg

o4TqQAkh.jpg

7MkcS7Dh.jpg

I didn't realize how bad store bought kimchi was until we started making our own. But making kimchi at home is becoming lost art. Most young people have no idea or don't want to make it at home. It's lot of work and can be intimidating the first couple of times. But it's like making your own pastrami at home. Once you make your own at home, it's hard to eat stuff they call pastrami at the store. It's all crap. Homemade stuff is leagues better and you can customize it to your taste.

For breakfast, had bacon, ham, egg, and cheese sandwich on homemade walnut wheat bread.
yt5B2QKh.jpg