What Kind Of Meals Are You Guys Making Now?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 25, 2011
Been making mostly meat/veggies dishes and stirfrys. Baked bread. Omelettes are also popular. Protein shakes for breakfast.

Honestly, basically the same stuff we ate before the collapse of society, but with more of a focus on frozen food for longevity reasons.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
One of the local restaurants near me is now offering gourmet "meal at home" kits with yummy stuff like Lobster and Prime beef for just $12 a serving. I'm not sure how he's making a profit at that price point, but he certainly has my business.

Meanwhile, many of the "celebrity" chefs in nearby NYC laid off all of their stuff and are begging the government for a bailout. Maybe they should get in the kitchen and cook their own take home specials if they're so worried about going bankrupt!

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I just made a 2 pound Instant Pot meatloaf.

It is fantastic. Took only 35 min to cook perfectly.

Reactions: Kaido

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Tonight was chicken noodle soup night! I also start my cooking for the food that I freeze every month!!

I also picked myself up one of these for $13.99 this afternoon -- a close out sale!!
download.jpg

Reactions: Kaido

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Wife baked whole wheat bread with walnut. I love freshly baked warm bread.

QepFvPlh.jpg

So soft and fluffy.
cLoUXgDh.jpg

So good with cold cuts, fruit jam, or plain.
OgrvDoFh.jpg

Wife also baked sweet dinner roll. I topped it with some homemade coleslaw and cherry wood smoked pork butt and made smoked pulled pork sliders. 🍔 Wife enjoys baking while I enjoy grilling and BBQ so we make a great team.
CZxE0dch.jpg

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Like ponyo I did pulled pork - 5lb pork shoulder sous vide. Added corn muffins and German cucumber salad

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Tonight I grilled some ribeye steaks. I bought one 8 lb and one 6 lb bone-in rib roasts today and sliced it into 1" thick steaks. I love buying bone-in rib roast over boneless because it's cheaper, and I save the back ribs to make beef rib soup later on. That's my favorite soup.

I sliced the roasts into 1" ribeye steaks because I wanted to eat it as Korean BBQ lettuce wraps. While thicker cut works, Korean BBQ is generally thinner sliced meat. I grilled 4 ribeye steaks on my Weber Performer charcoal grill. One for each member of my family including our dog.

Z337X1Gh.jpg

I also sautéed baby portobello mushrooms and onions with some soy sauce, oyster sauce, and little bit of sugar and topped the ribeye steak.
9J4npuIh.jpg

Ate it as lettuce wrap. Romaine lettuce topped with some white rice, ribeye steak, portobello mushroom and onions, and Korean ssam gochujang sauce. Korean BBQ at its finest.
n3roSQIh.jpg

DfWTLZ4h.jpg

Reactions: Hayabusa Rider

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Takeaway .. lots and lots of takeaway.
Restaurants have adjusted to take away and is thankful for every single order they get (cheap too) ... I have been eating like a King .. feast upon feast .. who in their right mind would drive through McDonalds when you have options like this. *YUM*.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Nothing too different than before. For dinner I'll either make a chicken/pasta dish, grill some steaks/potatoes/zucchini, or make homemade beefy tomato soup. For lunch I'll either have deli meat sandwiches or tuna sandwiches, maybe something frozen. Breakfast is usually a protein bar or cereal. Sometimes I switch up lunch/dinner by ordering take out from one of our favorite local places, but trying not to go too crazy doing that.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Sweet red bean soup dessert. Just red bean, sugar and water.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Sweet red bean soup dessert. Just ted bean, sugar and water.

you need dried citrus peel as well :colbert:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Breakfast this morning. Simple bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich, half of avocado, and coffee.

u7UpCIFh.jpg

Dinner tonight. Bun Thit Nuong (Vietnamese grilled pork & rice noodles) I used some of the leftover smoked pulled pork. One of my favorite Vietnamese dish. Love Vietnamese cuisine.

v9d5hISh.jpg

AIL285Jh.jpg

Reactions: mxnerd

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Today is Chinese takeout but I'll eat appetizers mostly. Good Chinese is an oxymoron here but sometimes it's not worth getting into an argument. Hard to screw up shrimp rolls, but dang it I'm going to make char siu and then pork fried rice. Likely not today since I'm going to make about 6 kilos of dough for a Tartine-like bread. My starter is active enough that I can bake half by this evening and refrigerate the remainder to tomorrow. I have enough olives for a nice size boule.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Tonight's menu is Instant Pot pasta. Specifically, penne rigate with ground beef, onions, peppers, a nice pasta sauce made with San Marzano tomatoes and some Italian cheese blend (mozzarella, Parmesan, Provolone and Asiago) and various spices.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
That was one awesome pasta dish! I used chicken stock along with some water for the liquid. I also used some Cholula Chili Lime sauce for added flavour.

This was a great meal.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Couple more cooks.

Pork shoulder sliced thin, scored, and then marinated in Korean kalbi marinade for 24 hours
xm4IUoOh.jpg

Pork grilled over charcoal
5CwAN3Qh.jpg

AMLje2mh.jpg

Breakfast this morning. Korean Street Toast on homemade wheat walnut bread.
https://food52.com/blog/23431-best-egg-sandwich-korean-street-toast

xT3zByzh.jpg

hmsg1FZh.jpg

Tonight's dinner. Grilled pork and King Crab leg spring roll. I thought I would try using real king crab leg meat since I had 10 lb box of 4/7 size crab legs in the freezer. Honestly after trying it, real king crab meat is complete waste in spring roll. Don't do it. It doesn't really taste that much different in spring roll than cheap imitation crab meat. The fish sauce and other ingredients just drown out the taste of the king crab meat. It's better to just eat the king crab meat separately. Shrimp is much better in spring roll. Shrimp has better texture and stronger taste when combined with other ingredients.

Spring roll ingredients
NSUAVKkh.jpg

laid out on the soaked rice paper
wGTbq46h.jpg

I suck at rolling.
jWagUDRh.jpg

While it might not look pretty, it tasted great
pdVtuvIh.jpg

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Tonight I am making a big batch of brown rice with veggies and ham.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A LOT of beans and rice, otherwise known as frijoles y arroz. I just ate red beans and rice for about the 25th time in the last couple months. I have red beans but usually use pintos. I don't much notice the difference. I've gotten very good at making this. I mean, I suspect that NOLA folks would rave about mine. I got into it there, actually. Ate at Momma's a couple times around 3 years ago.

Fried onions and bell peppers, 2 kinds of sausage, chopped celery, beans, rice, rosemary, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper, a few drops of Tabasco on top. I can make it in 10 minutes.

Other than that? A bagel for breakfast. Not going to Costco now. I made a batch today, 11 'cause 12 won't fit on my baking sheet.