What Kind Of Meals Are You Guys Making Now?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I usuully make a batch of chili with no beans once a month and I also make a hambuger stroganoff that I can eat over the course of a day or so!
I am really into home made cheese enchiladas with lots of onions.......
Anything soft tacos or hard shell!
I love to mix pork Chorizo with scrambled eggs!
I also make a large pot of Sauerkraut with potatoes and pieces of sausage!
Here are some pics -- Ny Sauerkraut dish
IMG_3666.jpg

View attachment 18892
My Chili no beansView attachment 18894View attachment 18895

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
In a weird way, it's kind of "fun".

People are buying certain staples from the market. Ground beef/turkey, chicken breast, sirloin steak, etc.

So I've had to grab whatever is left over. Stuff like brisket, ribs, etc. It gives me an opportunity to test out new recipes based on whatever I can grab at the store.

That said, I'm not "starving". We have boxed mac'n'cheese, Chef Boyardee, frozen enchiladas, etc. But I want to hang onto that stuff "just in case" I can't get more "fresh food".

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I do a lot of cooking! I love the Trader Joe`s Cheese Enchiladas,,,then I kick em up a notch by adding diced onion and finely diced Serrano Chili`s and finally I add more cheese!!
Ummm Alas i did not have a picture....
But I also make a tub of chili with no beans once a month and i also make about a gallon of sauerkrat w/potatoes and Sausage then I freeze it for later!
I also have a go to Ecuadorean
Restaurant that will allow yo to order and take it out! Of course what would a food picture be without my favorite Chili Relleno!!

Attachments

• IMG_3686.jpg
    IMG_3686.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3666.jpg
    IMG_3666.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3403.jpg
    IMG_3403.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3708.jpg
    IMG_3708.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 6

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
In a weird way, it's kind of "fun".

People are buying certain staples from the market. Ground beef/turkey, chicken breast, sirloin steak, etc.

So I've had to grab whatever is left over. Stuff like brisket, ribs, etc. It gives me an opportunity to test out new recipes based on whatever I can grab at the store.

That said, I'm not "starving". We have boxed mac'n'cheese, Chef Boyardee, frozen enchiladas, etc. But I want to hang onto that stuff "just in case" I can't get more "fresh food".
That's what I have noticed. I love cooking and love my Instant Pot.

That said, nice to see you back!

:D

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
whatever's in the photo, it looks pretty good.
It is very easy to make you can make it as complicted as you want nor you can make it very simple and it is good comfort food!

What i usually do is use 4 - 16 0z jars of Sauerkraut, or yuo can by cans,,,,,,the cans are Ok!
I also because I am lazy is I use 4 - 12 oz cans of Potatoes, drain the cans!
****Or you can get some large potatoes and peel them and boil them.....which is a lot nore work,.,,and doesn`t really affect the flavor!
I buy at least 2 packages of Hilshire Farms Keilasa or smoked sausage!
Then I pour the Jars of kraut juice and all into my pan along with the potatoes drained and sliced and then I slice the sausae(that`s really a personal preference which brand)!
Then my secret ingredient and it makes all the difference in the world.....but it still tastes good without!
I love the flavor that Thyme adds to most dishes so i go heavy on the Tyme -- I use about 3 or 4 table spoons of thyme! Fresh Thyme also works well but you wont need as much for that Thyme flavor!
Then if I want it to be more like a soup I will add 1 or 2 cops of water -- not from the tap if your tap water taste like crap!
Finally you need to bring it to a boil and I usually stand ther and stir every so often just so nothing sticks to the bottom!
I hope this helps!! Bon Apetit!!

Reactions: Kaido

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
HEB didn't have hot dog buns so I improvised.

4acd480965c8b05dee5ad0a60d8a2760.jpg

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
It is very easy to make you can make it as complicted as you want nor you can make it very simple and it is good comfort food!

What i usually do is use 4 - 16 0z jars of Sauerkraut, or yuo can by cans,,,,,,the cans are Ok!
I also because I am lazy is I use 4 - 12 oz cans of Potatoes, drain the cans!
****Or you can get some large potatoes and peel them and boil them.....which is a lot nore work,.,,and doesn`t really affect the flavor!
I buy at least 2 packages of Hilshire Farms Keilasa or smoked sausage!
Then I pour the Jars of kraut juice and all into my pan along with the potatoes drained and sliced and then I slice the sausae(that`s really a personal preference which brand)!
Then my secret ingredient and it makes all the difference in the world.....but it still tastes good without!
I love the flavor that Thyme adds to most dishes so i go heavy on the Tyme -- I use about 3 or 4 table spoons of thyme! Fresh Thyme also works well but you wont need as much for that Thyme flavor!
Then if I want it to be more like a soup I will add 1 or 2 cops of water -- not from the tap if your tap water taste like crap!
Finally you need to bring it to a boil and I usually stand ther and stir every so often just so nothing sticks to the bottom!
I hope this helps!! Bon Apetit!!

I've been getting more into sausage lately. My previous experience with sausages was pretty limited...those crappy links you microwave for breakfast, plus an occasional brat or wurst. I've tried pretty much every kind at the store now over the last few months & have a little meat grinder to start making my own. Not 100% sure if it will be worth it or not, as there are some really tasty store-bought kind. I'm really liking Johnsonville's jalepeno-cheddar fully-cooked sausage links:

Slice that in half lengthwise, cook over medium on a cast-iron skillet to warm it up & get a crust on it, and serve it with some eggs in the morning or kraut at night. I'm also experimenting with DIY saurekraut using the vacuum-seal method (slice up, vac-seal, ignore for 3 weeks). Not huge on fermented foods outside of like, pickles, but I'm slowly working my way into it!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I've been getting more into sausage lately. My previous experience with sausages was pretty limited...those crappy links you microwave for breakfast, plus an occasional brat or wurst. I've tried pretty much every kind at the store now over the last few months & have a little meat grinder to start making my own. Not 100% sure if it will be worth it or not, as there are some really tasty store-bought kind. I'm really liking Johnsonville's jalepeno-cheddar fully-cooked sausage links:

Slice that in half lengthwise, cook over medium on a cast-iron skillet to warm it up & get a crust on it, and serve it with some eggs in the morning or kraut at night. I'm also experimenting with DIY saurekraut using the vacuum-seal method (slice up, vac-seal, ignore for 3 weeks). Not huge on fermented foods outside of like, pickles, but I'm slowly working my way into it!
I have a pack in the fridge!!
I also am messing with DIY Saurekraut!!
Thanks for your input, I will have to look more heavily into DIY Kraut!!
Peace!!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I also am messing with DIY Saurekraut!!
Thanks for your input, I will have to look more heavily into DIY Kraut!!
Peace!!

I have a friend who is SUPER heavy into fermentation & has like two dozen jars of various items in his kitchen. Personally I'm not a huge fan of stuff like kimchi, milk kefir, etc., but I do like pickles (my buddy just made ghost pepper pickles & they were amazeballs), quick-pickled onions, and I have found a few krauts I actually enjoy (Garlic Kraut from Real Pickles is excellent & is what I'm aiming to replicate at home eventually, because it's really expensive for a little bottle!). Vac-seal kraut is super easy to make:

I use a Salad Shooter Pro to shred the cabbage (you can also use a knife or a food processor or whatever you have). Add salt, vac-seal it, and set a calendar reminder for 3 weeks from the day you make it. I kind of have a vague & fuzzy notion of being semi self-sufficient in terms of pressure-canning, basic fermentation, meat-grinding & sausage-stuffing, etc. in the future, especially with everything that's been going on. I suspect most people will go right back to their old habits, and while I don't necessarily want to become a prepper, I would like to have a decent food supply to ride out pandemics & natural disasters, or job loss, or whatever. Food has a crazy huge impact on most people's budgets & being able to both save money AND make better-than-store-bought food is an alluring idea!

Reactions: herm0016

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Yeah my family likes their cheddar & I like their jalepeno-cheddar. Super mild & just right for my tastebuds!

Surprisingly a lot of store-bought sausages are not very good, and equally surprisingly is how good some of the bulk-brands like Johnsonville is. Certain rope sausages are pretty good. It really depends on the brand & version sold though. I've also been working my way through mustards & plan on getting into DIY mustards down the line, like this one:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Yeah my family likes their cheddar & I like their jalepeno-cheddar. Super mild & just right for my tastebuds!

Surprisingly a lot of store-bought sausages are not very good, and equally surprisingly is how good some of the bulk-brands like Johnsonville is. Certain rope sausages are pretty good. It really depends on the brand & version sold though. I've also been working my way through mustards & plan on getting into DIY mustards down the line, like this one:

Now that sounds interesting! I love mustards that have the seeds in them for example - I like Trader Joe`s Whole Grain Dijon Mustard....
Until you mentioned it, I never considered making my own!! Again -- thx!!

OIP.jpg

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Yesterday I marinated some flap meat steak in orange juice, lime juice, dash of soy sauce, sliced onions, cilantro, and Montreal Steak seasoning.
idzToYlh.jpg

This morning I got up and grilled the marinated flap steak over charcoal. So easy to make yet so good. You can also use flank or hanger steak. It's all good. I wanted flank because it's cheaper but Costco was out so I bought flap meat steak instead.
0MQl0vlh.jpg

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Can confirm, that's a pretty decent sausage. I like their New Orleans Andouille too.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Made Baked Angel Hair Pasta with a Tomato and Basil sauce and Bacon and Kalamata Olives with Parmesan and Cheddar topping. It was an experiment that turned out better than expected.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Last night I made chicken cordon blue for my wife and our son. It was very tasty. We had garlic sauteed asparagus with it. Tonight we are doing take out from a local sushi place (if they're still open). If not, it's meatloaf night. I grilled up some mystery meat on Monday night. Turned out it was carne asada I had frozen a few months ago. It had no seasoning on it though so I seasoned it with a cowboy rub and a little brown sugar and grilled it. It was pretty tasty.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I'm going to toss a piece of pork into a pressure cooker for pulled pork.

Just made some the other day! 40 minutes & voila! Shredded with my meat claws:

I make homemade tortillas using my 10" cast-iron press:

No-knead flour tortillas recipe:

The secret for corn tortillas (using masa powder) is to let it sit for 30 minutes & absorb the water:

If you wanna go whole-hog, you can nixtamalize the corn yourself: (field corn + pickling lime)

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I'm going to toss a piece of pork into a pressure cooker for pulled pork.

Also if you want to take homemade tortillas to the next level, use lard!

I get my leaf lard online from Fannie & Flo. They sell it in 1-pound vac-sealed packs that you can chuck straight into the freezer for long-term storage:

On a tangent, it's not often that I DON'T use my Instant Pot, but this recipe is the bomb dot com:

One of the best things I've EVER put in my mouth! To get the bacon fat, just cook up some bacon in the oven (rimmed baking sheet + aluminum foil + cookie cooling rack + lay bacon side-by-side + cook for ~45 minutes starting in a cold oven at 350F, then enjoy the bacon & filter the grease through a sieve into a jar).