What Kind Of Meals Are You Guys Making Now?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
While I am still working, I am also staying in most of the time. Grocery stores are closed by 8:00PM so any shopping I have to do is in the morning and that is a busy time.

I have stocked up on a number of foods but some things I am having trouble getting which is interfering with making meals.

So I have been making simple meals like stews, sammiches, rice and pasta dishes. I try to make enough of anything to last several days.

I long for more formal dishes like roasts, ribs and the like but getting those items is harder than I think it should be.

Tonight's menu was a fantastic beef stew in which I used some veal I had frozen before this crisis. I added 1 cup of soup mix (a bag of dried bean mix that has 8 different types), some potatoes, carrots, onions, celery and some kernel corn. That soup mix has 20 grams of fibre.

I washed that down with a nice pilsner lager.

Tomorrow for lunch I will have a couple frozen burgers.

By Wednesday I will be making a big pot of pasta with sausages, peppers, onions and pasta sauce.

I figure on Friday I will make some more stew.

:)

EDIT: since there is no crisis any more, I changed the title slightly to reflect that.

Last edited:
Reactions: John_w

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
tonight I had this...

20200329_173232.jpg

with collard greens and Tabasco sauce. I don't cook much, so this stuff hasn't affected me much. Grilled cheese is always a favorite.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Grilled pork belly, onions, kimchi, corn cheese, and egg custard. Love my BBQ grill pan.

liRVOfrh.jpg

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Grilled pork belly, onions, kimchi, corn cheese, and egg custard. Love my BBQ grill pan.

liRVOfrh.jpg

Omg that looks good! :)

Have to go make breakfast now.

EDIT: Eating a good meal is about all I have to look forward to at this point

Last edited:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Made pasta Friday, coq au vin Saturday, and came up with a skillet Banana Foster bread pudding on Sunday.

Got some fantastic mushrooms from the store yesterday, thinking of chicken crepes with mushroom creme sauce tonight.

Reactions: herm0016

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Here gooes: It's a lot of working making every single meal, but once you're in a routine it isn't all that bad. Even the cleaning gets more efficient. 11 month old is eating pretty much everything we eat (no salads or nuts that he can choke on though). Have not eaten out in over a month now. I guess this a very Californian diet:

Breakfast (made every day):
- Oatmeal with a banana and/or blueberries. We loaded up on so much oatmeal before everyone else started to panic.

Brunch/Lunch Options (made every day):
- Scrambled eggs with mushrooms and onions saute in butter, basil, goat cheese, and some spices. Buttered grilled toast to the side.
- Basic breakfast burritos with potato, egg, and cheese.

Afternoon (made every day):
- Salad with romaine, spinach, kale, orange, walnuts, beets, avocado with an aged vinaigrette dressing.
- Green smoothie with whatever produce may be left or needed to be used.

Dinner Options (made every few days):
- Some kind of a veggie heavy soup with maybe some boiled chicken breast thrown in, lasts 3-4 days.
- Mushroom crepes with nearly the same ingredients as the scrambled eggs, lasts 2 days.
- Chicken or salmon with rice, lasts 2 days.
- Broccoli quinoa casserole, lasts 2 days.
- Loaded baked potatoes, lasts 1 day.

Snacks:
- Oven baked diced sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and basil.
- Grilled toast with almond butter, raw honey, banana, coconut shreds (got this from some hole in the wall place in Santa Barbara)
- Mixed nuts

Other (made whenever we have the supplies):
- Ginger lemon tea made very spicy, with some raw honey to balance it out.

Reactions: Fritzo

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Going simple tonight with Thai chicken curry and I'll make some naan. I want to make get some bread made and I'll start today so I can have Cubanos tomorrow and make rolls for beef brisket the day after. That's the plan which may not survive my family's input :D

What I really want is to try a Chengdu hot pot but I need ingredients and shopping right now is not a good idea for me. I'm also not sure anyone else in my family would eat it.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Nothing different yet. Last night was baby back ribs, tonight sausage and peppers (I'm a couple of days ahead of you on that) and Tuesday something Tex-Mex. Wednesday will be leftover ribs, Thursday leftover sausage and pepper and Friday I have not thought about yet. That's generally the way I cook all the time, make a big enough batch of something to have it at least twice and have it 3 or 4 days apart.

Reactions: Iron Woode

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Nothing different yet. Last night was baby back ribs, tonight sausage and peppers (I'm a couple of days ahead of you on that) and Tuesday something Tex-Mex. Wednesday will be leftover ribs, Thursday leftover sausage and pepper and Friday I have not thought about yet. That's generally the way I cook all the time, make a big enough batch of something to have it at least twice and have it 3 or 4 days apart.

That's a plan alright. I'll cook enough to have some left over and every third or fourth day it's leftover night, plus lunch options.

I'm waiting for some non-diastatic malt powder from King Arthur and then I'll start making bagels to eat and freeze.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
All sorts of stuff. Last night was beef and chicken Enchiladas, night before was Chili and pasta, Chili Mac is a style, and mine ain't that. Did BBQ chicken, I split the chicken in half, brine them, and then they get spice rubbed and hit with pecan wood smoke. Did a veggie and andouille sausage frittata. Chicken Cacitorre, steak stroganoff, Hawaiian style chicken teriyaki, all kinds of comfort food.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Ordering out a little more actually. Days have been longer. Want to support the community as well. Think I'm getting pizza tonight.

Reactions: skyking

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
earthworm stew.

No just kidding.

I simply eat the earthworms.
stew is beyond my skills.
Heat a dab of olive oil in a pan, add some shallots with a pinch of salt/pepper cook until transparent. Add some butter and a splash of white wine, then cook until reduced. Add some coarsely chopped carrots, potatoes, and celery and cook them off for a few minutes. Add the worms and marry them to the sauce for a minute or two, then cover 3/4 of the way with chicken stock. Make a bouquet garni by tying some parsley, thyme, and a bay leaf together and throw it in the stock. Bring the stock to a boil, then lightly cover and bake in a 325 over for 3-4 hours.

You'll have delicious braised worm stew.

giphy[1].gif

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
My wife is cooking the same as she has for the last 37 years. No need to change things, yet anyway.

I have no complaints.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
We got a roast in the crockpot with some lipton soup mix. Wife is making mashed potatoes to go with it. My breakfast is pretty much either some yogurt, nutrigrain bar or grilled cheese sandwich. I'm snacking way more though at home. All weekend I was looking for something to snack on. Most of it has been some fruit or those little fruit snacks. But we have some rice krispie treats that I've been hitting up too.

Reactions: Iron Woode

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
We got a roast in the crockpot with some lipton soup mix. Wife is making mashed potatoes to go with it. My breakfast is pretty much either some yogurt, nutrigrain bar or grilled cheese sandwich. I'm snacking way more though at home. All weekend I was looking for something to snack on. Most of it has been some fruit or those little fruit snacks. But we have some rice krispie treats that I've been hitting up too.
I miss roast. I can't find any when I go out shopping. I did find some huge chickens the other day. They were around 4kg. I wasn't feeling chicken that day.

I, too, have been fighting the urge to snack. Usually I hit up Walmart and buy a big bag of seasoned roasted peanuts. One of those bags lasts me a week of snacking.

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
Bat Soup?

Bats are much too hard to capture so it's not really practical. Also, they would probably taste like the flying rodents that they are. We're lucky to have them around here though because of all the insects they get rid of. Much more useful flying around than being in soup.

I've been making soups pretty much daily. Some times twice a day.

I use veg boullion or sometimes ready ramen, and add some frozen veggies like cut green beans.