What Kind Of Meals Are You Guys Making Now?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
breakfast this morning: strawberry, banana, mango, and Oui French-style yogurt.

sn7d94th.jpg

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Can someone post a real simple way to bake BBQ ribs?

I bought a rack of pork ribs because they were so cheap, and a bottle of BBQ sauce. I googled recipes and they all seem so convoluted. Boil the ribs in water? I don't want to deal with that.

1) What temperature to bake?

2) How many times to flip?

3) When to apply sauce?

I don't care if it doesn't turn out earth shattering.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
We've been buying similar items weekly at the store:
  1. 3.5lbs pork shoulder -- either prepare as carnitas or pulled pork in the instant pop. Super simple, delicious, and keeps us from getting burned out on the same flavor profile
  2. Chicken breast/chicken thighs -- various preparations, using either simmer sauces, Nashville hot, tikka masala, etc
  3. Ground beef -- bolognese, lasagna, burgers, shepherd's pie, etc
  4. Couple of steaks for a weekly steak night
  5. Various prepared meals -- HEB's meal simple dishes are clutch. Raw, prepared food in an aluminum container, pop them in the oven, done. Making ahead and storing to microwave during the week.
  6. Buns, tortillas, veggies, greens, salads, etc.
We're going to some of our favorite local places for takeout during the week as well. Fortunately, all of them are still doing fairly well.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

I bought a rack of pork ribs because they were so cheap, and a bottle of BBQ sauce. I googled recipes and they all seem so convoluted. Boil the ribs in water? I don't want to deal with that.

3) When to apply sauce?

What kind of pork ribs did you buy? Baby backs or spares? Season the ribs with salt & pepper and place it in a pan. Cover the pan with foil and bake in the oven at 275 F for about 3 to 4 hours depending on what types of ribs you have. I would start checking at about 3 hours. You don't need to flip. If you want to sauce, you can do that at the end. Turn your oven to broiler setting and sauce the ribs and place it in the oven for like 5-10 minutes. You got to check and watch to make sure the sauce doesn't burn. It will burn quickly at high temp.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
What kind of pork ribs did you buy? Baby backs or spares? Season the ribs with salt & pepper and place it in a pan. Cover the pan with foil and bake in the oven at 275 F for about 3 to 4 hours depending on what types of ribs you have. I would start checking at about 3 hours. You don't need to flip. If you want to sauce, you can do that at the end. Turn your oven to broiler setting and sauce the ribs and place it in the oven for like 5-10 minutes. You got to check and watch to make sure the sauce doesn't burn. It will burn quickly at high temp.

Ok, That seems pretty simple.

I bought a large rack of spare ribs. They were so cheap: I paid $5 for a rack originally priced at $18. I couldn't pass them up.

Even if I screw up I can just toss them. But I don't know how even I could screw up something so simple.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I made some tacos with fresh ground beef yesterday and it was decent. I would do it again next week.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

3) When to apply sauce?

I make ribs in my Instant Pot and it takes most of the work out.

I understand that not everyone has one but it has made my cooking easier.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Ok, That seems pretty simple.

I bought a large rack of spare ribs. They were so cheap: I paid $5 for a rack originally priced at $18. I couldn't pass them up.

Even if I screw up I can just toss them. But I don't know how even I could screw up something so simple.
Now, I've never made this in the oven. I always use one of my outdoor charcoal or pellet smokers. But heat is heat whether it's an indoor oven or outdoor grill.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I have a box or two left of vegetarian taco mix. Last box I didn't have any greens for the top, and it's kinda meh without greens. I'm thinking of trying dandelion greens from my yard. I don't feel like going to the store, and I'd like to give them a shot anyway. If nothing else, you can't beat the price.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I have a box or two left of vegetarian taco mix. Last box I didn't have any greens for the top, and it's kinda meh without greens. I'm thinking of trying dandelion greens from my yard. I don't feel like going to the store, and I'd like to give them a shot anyway. If nothing else, you can't beat the price.
Dandelion greens are great. We collect those from our yard and eat it too. Last night we ate stringy stonecrop

YN9DEpQh.jpg

and young leaves of Jerusalem artichoke with grilled short ribs. Both of these grow in our backyard along with the grass and other plants.

6vcs85ah.jpg

When my wife and I go for walk at our local park, we look for plants we can pick and eat. Most people have zero clue what's edible or not. I'm not an expert but my wife and I know couple different edible plants.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Dandelion greens are great. We collect those from our yard and eat it too. Last night we ate stringy stonecrop

YN9DEpQh.jpg

and young leaves of Jerusalem artichoke with grilled short ribs. Both of these grow in our backyard along with the grass and other plants.

6vcs85ah.jpg

When my wife and I go for walk at our local park, we look for plants we can pick and eat. Most people have zero clue what's edible or not. I'm not an expert but my wife and I know couple different edible plants.
you can eat plantago, too.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Been eating more of this then anything recently cause anxiety and hypomania kicking in big time with all this non sense i got zero sleep last night....About to kill this entire bar. Almost done with it :) Not gonna be stressing about jack shit real quick SOON. With this i will prob eat my first real meal in over 3 days perhaps? Usually gain a appetite after one of these" bunker busters"

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Thinly sliced flank steak stir fried with Chinese Kale and Taiwanese bbq sauce served on white rice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iron Woode

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
breakfast this morning: strawberry, banana, mango, and Oui French-style yogurt.

Oui is dope. Plus I re-use their glass containers for Instant Pot & Sous Vide projects! (only downside is the stretchy lids are $$$)

Have you tried the Oui Crème Desserts yet? The texture is OUTSTANDING! I'd recommend starting out with the vanilla bean, if they sell it locally.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Maybe I should get one of those. Everybody seems to love them.

I have like $280 worth of credit on Amazon.

They're not bad.

Reactions: Iron Woode

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

They're not bad.
don't forget youtube channels are a great source for recipes and instructional know-hows.

Like Pressure Luck cooking

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaido

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Those ribs worked out great.

I did 300 because it's easier to type in than 275. I left them in for 2 1/2 hours. I then slathered the bottom with BBQ sauce for 10 more minutes, then the same with the top.

Since it wasn't bubbly I jacked up the temp to 350 and left them in for 15 more minutes.

Delicious. Fall off the bone good.

Reactions: ponyo

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Those ribs worked out great.

I did 300 because it's easier to type in than 275. I left them in for 2 1/2 hours. I then slathered the bottom with BBQ sauce for 10 more minutes, then the same with the top.

Since it wasn't bubbly I jacked up the temp to 350 and left them in for 15 more minutes.

Delicious. Fall off the bone good.
pro tip: to get ribs or other foods bubbly use the broiler setting of your oven. Make sure to keep an eye on it or it can burn easily.