What kind of antenna connectors are on this WiFi adapter?

wansurfer

Dec 18, 2012
What kind of antenna connectors (3) are in the following picture?

11.jpg

That is a picture found on the Decrypted Tech website of the electronics in a TRENDnet TEW-684UB. It is a USB to WiFi network adapter. When assembled this model doesn't have external antennas. Would connecting antennas to the 3 nubs extend the adapter's range? This is a dual band WiFi adapter, 2.4 and 5 GHz, so I should get antennas that work with both bands. I plan to drill holes in the case of the adapter for mounting the external part of the antennas.

What kind of antennas do you recommend? I was thinking of buying something like this [link to product sold at Amazon]. That's the 3 Dbi kit but there's a 5 Dbi kit, too. However, I don't know if those antennas have the right kind of connectors and the kit contains only 2 antennas so I'll need to find a third. One could argue that I shouldn't get this WiFi adapter and just buy something more expensive with antennas due to the cost and sacrifice of warranty by upgrading the TEW-684UB myself. However, regardless of that I'm tempted to try this for fun. :D

arkcom

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2003
Those are U.fl. The antennas you linked should work. You wouldn't necessarily need 3.

wansurfer

Dec 18, 2012
Thanks for your help, both of you. :D

I read that U.fl connectors are commonly used now but I saw some pictures of U.fl's that didn't look like what is in the picture above so I wasn't sure what to do.

wansurfer

Dec 18, 2012
In the end I just bought a Rosewill RNX-N600UBE. There was a promo code for it. I wasn't sure how I was going to put everything in that little TRENDnet TEW-684UB. I contacted a couple other people who work on laptops and have seen some different antenna connectors. They told me they weren't sure what was in the picture and that the connectors looked strange. Personally, I couldn't find a picture anywhere that shows connectors that have a black interior. What is that? Is it a cone-shaped depression of black rubber?