What keyboard setup do you use for FPS gaming?

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
Do you use a regular keyboard or a special gaming keyboard with a unique numpad/hotkey setup (like the round ones)?

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Regular ... don't get to play enough to bother investing in something else.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Tried a special gaming keyboard once and it was a lot less comfortable than the $10 Micro Innovations I got from Kmart.

I just use the standard WASD setup, normally E for Use and left-shift for crouch.

In Far Cry I have the middle mouse for Use and Q & E for the binoculars and Night Vision. Mouse 4 is grenades.

milesl

Oct 11, 2004
I used to hold a gaming pad in one hand and use the mouse in another.After a few hours My hand holding the gaming pad would go numb lol.
I had some trouble getting used to using keyboard and mouse,but it is way better because I have more keys and my hand doesn't go numb.
I use a logitech wireless keyboard with WASD to move, and depending on what the game needs,program keys around it to do various things like c for crouch shift for sprint ect..

Burpy

Oct 16, 2005
I use just a regular keyboard, never really had the urge to buy a special gaming one. I can't say I've seen a lot tho, maybe if it was well designed I might consider one. I just don't like those gaming KB's that have pictures of whatever game plastered all over it.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Normal, basic WASD. I don't even use the extra 5 buttons on my mouse cause they usually aren't supported, and even when they are, I can't figure out what do put on it that isn't easilly accessible with my left hand.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
WASD here, with f to use and ctrl to crouch. I've got a Habu, and actually use all of the buttons on it. One of the sides is vent, the other is in-game voice. A couple of the guys in the clan I'm in use the specialized gaming keyboard pad things, but I like not having to move my hand too far to type.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Regular keyboard. Actually I need to get a new one, the spacebar is f'ed on one side. Also use a five-button Logitech mouse which I really like... the two side buttons are great for binding to often used actions (usually a special weapon mode, flashlight and grav gun in Half-Life 2, etc).

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I use a laptop keyboard that damn Fn key always screws with me. WASD is my normal setup for HL based games I usually switch walk and crouch and leave most of the defaults alone.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Just use a regular dell keyboard (it matches my viewsonic monitor). I don't really care about the keyboard, imean, how much better can you make it? I prefer investing in mouses.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Basic WASD, regular keyboard. I use my keyboards too much to invest into something that's over $25. I use Mouse 4 for reload in most games, but thats it.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
asssswad :Q for the keys to move on my G11 keyboard, I bought it cause it lights up :D and I can type in the dark

nova2

Feb 3, 2006
just a ~25usd belkin keyboard and a logitech mx518 - this works fine for serious deathmatch/TDM games.

some people also use a little mouse acceleration too, but if the acceleration doesn't seem consistent i wouldn't recommend using it.

a bonus for owning a less expensive keyboard is that you could smash it on the ground right after you win a tournament - just for added effect. If done well, many keys should fly off and fly around.

like this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SdWQIPNbrAc

martensite

Aug 8, 2001
Saitek Eclipse + MX518
mouse L = move forward
mouse R = move backward
mouse button 4 = Use/Enter
mouse button 5 = grendade or other custom functon
mouse wheel click = reload

z= strafe left
x=strafe right
a=crouch
s=prone
space=melee
shift=jump

left ctrl=primary fire
left atl = secondary fire/zoom
c= binocs
etc.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I use a regular keyboard. For control setup, I used to use basic wasd but with jump and run switched around for easy jump crouching (in half-life), but lately I got lazy and just use default.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I have a G15, although I only use the extra keys in a few annoying games that won't let you remap stuff. I use the numpad keys (2468 and the other stuff around there) everywhere else.

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
I use a regular keyboard but I use the arrow keys and the number pad and all the keys around the arrows to do extra stuff.

For example:
up arrow - forward
down arrow - move backward
right arrow - alternate fire
left arrow - crouch
right shift - jump
enter - use/reload
numpad 1 - voice chat
right control - fire

then on the mouse I use the two buttons for strafing and the wheel for weapon selection.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Enermax Aurora, default WASD, Kensington trackball Pro 10 buttons programmed for various games.