What it is really like working at Apple stores (in UK)?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
It's easier to get into Harvard than it is to work at an Apple Store.

:hmm:

Nov 20, 2009
That was an interesting read, but for some reason I was not surprised at all. Okay, maybe the death threats, but I think I might have gotten close to that, but not focused on an employee (at Apple).

Still, they seemed to have a really low turn-over in employees at that store. And yet the store nearest me is like I never see the same person twice if a month goes by. They always seem like different people. While I find it hard to remember names, my brain always remembers faces.

Still, it sounds like it isn't worth working there.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
It's easier to get into Harvard than it is to work at an Apple Store.

:hmm:

Heard the same about Wal-Mart.

Funny because I've not heard that about Costco where the pay/benefits are actually livable.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I thought Walmart was known for hiring pretty much anyone?

Ah, but when you hire everyone, EVERYONE wants to work there, so it becomes crazy competitive... even harder to get "in" than Harvard.

Someone actually told me a few years back that if they lost their job, they'll just go get one at Wal-Mart as a "guaranteed" fallback. No, you won't.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
So, don't work there. End of story.

"Oh, but I'm a little victim. Oh woes es me!"
"Those big meanies at Apple!"

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Ah, but when you hire everyone, EVERYONE wants to work there, so it becomes crazy competitive... even harder to get "in" than Harvard.

Someone actually told me a few years back that if they lost their job, they'll just go get one at Wal-Mart as a "guaranteed" fallback. No, you won't.

People are idiots. Why would anyone be content making $9 an hour? Why!!!!

I'd only work at Walnart if I got extremely desperate. Even then, I could probably make more money wiping down a stranger's car windshield with a squeegee and soapy water. "That's $5 sir." Hit about 20 cars and bam... $100! 😉

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Do lowly retail workers normally make more than 8L's in the UK or is this another attempt by the Brits to vilify an American company? If retail workers DO normally make more than 8L's over there, why did these people sign up to work at Apple? And if they do not normally make that much, where are the articles on the British companies screwing their workers?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Do lowly retail workers normally make more than 8L's in the UK or is this another attempt by the Brits to vilify an American company? If retail workers DO normally make more than 8L's over there, why did these people sign up to work at Apple? And if they do not normally make that much, where are the articles on the British companies screwing their workers?
Bloody hell there mate, you don't think that you're taking that article a bit personally?

They aren't attempting to vilify an American company, they are talking about Apple because Apple are a notoriously secret company that has a reputation for being 'cult like'.

In short it makes a more interesting story than doing one about working at Dixons.

Mar 11, 2004

Not sure who you heard that from, but getting a low level job at Wal-Mart is far far from difficult. It might be more difficult to get some higher positions (like store manager or doing things at their corporate offices), but typical retail positions are not that difficult to come by (if there's an opening, which happens pretty frequently, lots of people its a transitional job, like summer in college and things like that).

Nov 20, 2009
I read the article yesterday and it left me with only one question: why bother? Is the difference of a couple of pounds per hour in London (my assumption) really going to make an impact on one's ability to live in/near London? No. There must be a reason to work there other than what isn't being portrayed in that article--unless the workers are mental, that is.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Not sure who you heard that from, but getting a low level job at Wal-Mart is far far from difficult. It might be more difficult to get some higher positions (like store manager or doing things at their corporate offices), but typical retail positions are not that difficult to come by (if there's an opening, which happens pretty frequently, lots of people its a transitional job, like summer in college and things like that).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...art-has-a-lower-acceptance-rate-than-harvard/

Last year when Wal-Mart came to D.C. there were over 23,000 applications for 600 jobs. That's an acceptance rate of 2.6%, twice as selective as Harvard's and over five times as choosy as Cornell.

It was one location, so not a great sample size. However, using Wal-Mart as a guaranteed back-up still probably isn't the guarantee people believe it to be -- especially if they've been laid off due to some major economic event.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
Bloody hell there mate, you don't think that you're taking that article a bit personally?

They aren't attempting to vilify an American company, they are talking about Apple because Apple are a notoriously secret company that has a reputation for being 'cult like'.

In short it makes a more interesting story than doing one about working at Dixons.

I think every company likes to maintain its trade secrets, even Walmart.