What is your reason for voting Obama this election?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
don't ask, don't tell

edit: and giving the DNC their fair chance at single party rule to F it up too

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
While I don't agree 100% with Obama's policies, his positions on issues largely mirror my own.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
I've read his books and his writings well before he announced his bid for Presidency. His words resonate with my own views of this world very deeply, I feel a connection to him that I have not felt towards any candidate in my lifetime.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
I've read his books and his writings well before he announced his bid for Presidency. His words resonate with my own views of this world very deeply, I feel a connection to him that I have not felt towards any candidate in my lifetime.

You realize that you're voting for him, not bearing his children, right?

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: nkgreen

You realize that you're voting for him, not bearing his children, right?

I meant I feel an intellectual connection to the man based on the views he expresses in his books and other writings. How you construe that to mean I want to bear his children is your issue, not mine.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Can you guys be more specific? I understand that you like him, that he has views that are like yours, hence you are voting for him. But why? What things has Obama said that he would do, do you find to be the reason that you will vote for him?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
A positive vision. Calm. Assured. Thoughtful. If you were alive during the JFK campaign and era, you'd understand. Young new fresh family in the Whitehouse.
Mccain fails profoundly when it come to projecting a fresh new positive attitude.
Something American?s crave, seek and need at this time in our history.
The fact that Obama realizes that, and has connected with it, is just another example of Obama?s uncanny ability to restore the American spirit.

Now is not Mccain's time in history. Where as Obama fits the challenge, and then some.
It is not in our nature to give a failed party and policy another go at it. If you were an employer and had an employee perform that badly, not only would you not give them a raise, you?d have to let them go. That?s exactly what is happening here.

Like on the CNN news this morning, there was some angry lady from anytown USA, asking in a very animated way, "How did this happened in America? How was this possible?".
That summed it all up in total.

We have always believed our country was ran by the best, smart, educated and tested people. They have failed us miserably.

We now find ourselves living in a crap fest that could have been better ran by a group of ten year old girl scouts.
American?s tolerance of the last eight years, and Mccain's lack of true vision for the next 4 years, is nothing short of embarrassing and humiliating for American's.

(I'm Sportage, and I approve my message. In my own words.)

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Because there are only two realistic candidates and I won't vote for John McCain. He picked a lousy running mate and has run a lousy and dirty campaign which make me question his judgment.

Also I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative. The Republicans no longer represent either of those spectra.

For the record I don't think Obama will be able to accomplish half of what he wants to given the circumstances we will face in the next four years, but meh that's the way it is.

Edit: Oh, and both McCain and Lieberman (who would be appointed to McCain's cabinet) have a hard-on for Iran and I don't think it's the best time to get involved in another war.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Three reasons:

1. In these perilous times, we need a leader with the supple and fertile gonads of a half-black man in his prime, not the shriveled sack of a stroked-out septuganarian.

2. A confirmed communistical magick negroidal presence in the *White* House will finally cause Butterbean's head to assplode, assuming that he does, in fact, posess the functional equivalent of a human head.

3. Because Sarah Palin's five children need a full time mother.
rose.gif

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Ok to preface this, i am drunk atm.

I think i should start with what i want, then explain why mr obama fits this best. To start, I am a strong proponent of universal health care. I support vouchers, a strongly progressive overall tax regime, heavy investment in research and technology, investment in infrastucture, particularly a national high speed electric rail system. Additionally, i promote a more internationalist foreign policy, as well as free trade, and if possible, a common border/currency/open border with canada and other countries that can meet standards. I support gay marriage/civil unions, the teaching of evolution, am pro-choice, etc.

Obama does not support UHC, though his proposal is much better than mccains plan. Mccain is not necessarily a proponent of vouchers, however he has stated that he supports chater schools, which is at least a theoretical step in the right direction, though i suspect that mmcains veiws would more closely match my own on this issue. Obviously obams plan is much more progressive than mccains. Mccains's anit-earmarks garbage is general at odds with being pro-infrastructure/research. Both seem to advocate roughly the same trade policy. Obama is also more pro-civil rights, and the selection of palin has severely hurt this.

anyways, i'm going to go to bed, and fix any fuckups in the morning.

Originally posted by: Perknose
2. A confirmed communistical magick negroidal presence in the *White* House will finally cause Butterbean's head to assplode, assuming that he does, in fact, posess the functional equivalent of a human head.

i loled irl

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Obama will help bring our government up to speed with technology and the internet which will enable government transparency to all citizens. examples...

a - Transparency and Integrity in Earmarks Act of 2006 - http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s109-2261

b - Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006 - http://www.whitehouse.gov/news.../2006/09/20060926.html

a huge problem under the Bush administration was irresponsible spending. the problem is not spending in and of itself, that is a foundation of our economy after all, but responsible spending which Barack Obama will bring, imo.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
There are many reasons why I like Obama but I'll just mention a few for now. First, after seeing how he handled Clinton and McCain, for the most part I felt he was in the right and was being honest while the other side was spinning things a lot more. In other words, he had truth on his side. From opposing the gas tax holiday, to rebutting the ridicule he got after suggesting that we should inflate our tires, to wanting to continue the debates, he has stayed steady and risen above the dumbness of our politics at times. Second, I'm very much into politics and have marveled at how this man and his team have come up out of nowhere to create one of the most devastating political machines in recent memory. Lastly, he has a capability for leadership as is shown in his oratory skills. This is something he is mocked for but it is vital for the President to be able to effectively use the bully pulpit, and Obama is certainly capable of that.

There are better reasons why I'm voting for Obama, but these are just a couple things that I especially like about him that have stood out from other candidates we've seen in the last few cycles.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
I can't get behind John McCain. He's been erratic at best since the DNC. At the time, I strongly felt that the Palin pick would make or break him, and I gave him the benefit of the doubt having not known a thing about her and assuming he did. WRONG.

While I admire Obama's charisma, I feel many of his supporters are absolutely blinded by it. Depsite the left's attempts to avoid the label "messiah", it is indeed how he has protrayed himself, how the media has portayed him, and how many of his supporters speak of him. If you watched his speech at the DNC, you can't - at least not with a straight face - deny that's what he was shooting for. Hell, the man spoke of lowering the oceans and such. Come on, guys. At least be honest with yourself, if not with others.

His church bothers me, and as sensitive as the left is about religious whackos, I'm quite surprised by their lack of interest in Wright.

All that being said, McCain is not stable enough to lead. Palin as president would be a fucking disaster. McCain's economic stances are only marginally better than Obama's, which I think is the critical factor right now. Not Iraq, not Afghanistan, but ECONOMICS. I would be more apt to support McCain if he stayed truer to Conservative economics, but he's too hard to read. I suspect he's simply pandering to centrists and light leftists, but if that's the case, I have an entirely new issue with him. Pandering is for assholes like John Kerry and, to a lesser extent, Al Gore. I'll elect someone with whom I disagree long before I willfully vote for an empty suited liar. I do suspect Obama has done his own fair share of pandering because his voting record - which I admit I have not studied closely - appears far more left than his campaign platform. But, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

And I'm able to give him the benefit of the doubt because I do feel this is a good time for a party transition. I don't see how McCain could possibly hold down two terms. In fact, I don't think Obama has much of a shot, either. On that note, I'd rather have a new Republican up for election in 2012 than McCain vs. Obama or an TBA Democrat.

So, I'm reluctantly voting for Obama and I think many people are in for a letdown. He's not the Second Coming, and while no one will admit it to me or themselves, I'm confident many people view him in that light deep down inside themselves. No one can live up to that, and I don't think Obama amounts to much more than a confident orator. He's intelligent, but I don't think he has the economic sense this country needs right now. His fundamental values are in direct conflict with what I feel "works".

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Underneath all this suave and debonair sophistication I've always been a COMMUNIST!

Yeah, baby, bring on the revolution!

:)

-Robert

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
1) As an Independent who usually votes Libertarian, I don't want Palin anywhere near the White House. Her socially conservative views are not what I agree with, and even ones I do (pro-life with exceptions) she doesn't (pro-life with NO exceptions).

2) Since my vote is in Virginia, which has the highest statistical value per vote over any other state (fivethirtyeight.com's Tipping Point map, I've decided to vote Obama to ensure that Palin isn't near the White House. If I lived in a solid blue or red state I probably wouldn't be voting Obama.

3) Onto positives about Obama: I think Obama's healthcare plan is decent because it will allow people with pre-existing conditions to get care. I personally know many people who have cancer and cannot get care once their coverage has dropped. In addition, my parents are getting old and I can't imagine what it would like if I had to pay for their hospital bills because they couldn't get coverage. Obama has said at the debates that this will be his number one priority and I think it's a step in the right direction. McCain's plan, which will take away my cheap coverage through work is horrifying. Taxing my healthcare for the first time in history? It's a no brainer.

4) Obama's foreign policy view on Iraq is close with my Lib views: getting the fck out of there. Sure, he may not do it as soon as I'd like but I'm ok with that. McCain's plan to stay in that god forsaken country for 100 years is something that easily makes me not want to vote for him. Our country has engaged in international imperialism for far too long, and now things are fcked up domestically and we didn't have the financial resources to fix them because of the Iraq War (i.e. we had to incur large amounts of debt). However, Obama's plan to attack Pakistan is something I'm ok with because they are actually harboring the cause of 9/11.

5) If the worst thing Obama will do is spend, then I can live with that. The dollar is gaining in strength, even after borrowing 700billion. Our deficit is still only 70% of our GDP, so more debt will most likely not hurt the dollar's value significantly. McCain's plans will also increase debt (even more than Obama), but his spending could cause the dollar to drop. He has admitted this year he knows nothing about economics. I don't agree with his spending plans: indefinite occupation of Iraq (which international communities will frown upon). His horrible healthcare plan which I outlined above. His mortgage buyout plan, which I don't agree with.

6) Last reason: McCain's impetuous and impulsive nature WILL get us into trouble because it will allow others to easily manipulate him. He is swayed by emotion more than Obama. Obama is more intellectual and has a higher IQ. Like Al Gore said in his only exceptional book "Assault on Reason", fear will always override reason. Which is why we're in Iraq right now. McCain will use fear as a tool just like Bush (i.e. bomb bomb bomb Iran, attack North Korea), but Obama will use reason (actually attack the countries where AQueda reside!). I think it's about time this country had someone who actually implements sound reason instead of fear to promote their policies.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I voted based on who i thought would cause there to be fewer abortions.

Originally posted by: Perknose
Three reasons:

1. In these perilous times, we need a leader with the supple and fertile gonads of a half-black man in his prime, not the shriveled sack of a stroked-out septuganarian.

3. Because Sarah Palin's five children need a full time mother.
rose.gif

to translate:

1.) you are a racist
3.) you are sexist
... was this an Ironic post?

Originally posted by: Moonbeam
JFK and Abrahan Lincoln are back.

Only because they are running against Nixon and Carter.

Feb 16, 2005
I'll try to break it down into percentages of importance as to why I am voting for Senator Obama.
60% He has remained calm and collected while McCain seemed unsteady, ill tempered and confused
20% He will bring a fresh mind to the Oval Office, not someone who has been tainted by decades of being part of the political machine
10% He came from a very hard childhood and worked his way up, through determination and intelligence, whereas McCain, as dumbya, was born into a wealthy family, and was roughly 5th from the bottom of his graduating class
5% I am a democratic voter by nature, and he represents most of my values and ideals
5% During the debates, he actually wanted to talk about the issues when negative campaigning was the topic, which proved to be the right move, as most voters are more concerned about the economy than mudslinging.

Oct 30, 2004
My reasons:

1. Obama is not McCain.
2. Obama is not Palin.
3. Obama's a smart guy.
4. He's pro-legal-abortion.
5. I'd rather have Obama and the Democrats pick the next couple Supreme Court justices.

That's about it. I don't like his position on immigration and H-1B and L-1 visas, and I'm not sure he understands foreign outsourcing, global labor arbitrage, nor the global Malthusian crisis. I think he wants to support middle class prosperity and understands that much of the wealth the upper classes have wasn't really earned and may have come at the expense of the lower classes.

I'm not expecting too much from an Obama presidency; I just think he'll be much less worse than having four more years of McBush/Palin.

Oct 30, 2004

I haven't read any of his books. What did you find so compelling about them? Just what exactly is his world view, as you see it?