What Is Your Favourite War Movie(s)?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Paths of Glory
Das Boot
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Deer Hunter
Fury
Patton
A Bridge Too Far
Full Metal Jacket
Courage Under Fire

Reactions: pmv and BurnItDwn

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Has nobody watched Generation War? It's pretty much flawless.
Not a movie, but a (German) TV series.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Since Remembrance Day (Veterans Day) is on Monday, I thought I would bring up this discussion topic.

In no particular order:

Patton - 1970
Sahara - 1943
Red Ball Express - 1952
Saving Private Ryan - 1998
Platoon - 1986

There are others that I enjoy like a few John Wayne movies.
I can't say I enjoy a single John Wayne movie.

Hunt for Red October
The Battle of Algiers
Seven Samurai

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Lots of fantastic movies referenced in this thread!

If I had to pick one personal favorite it would be:

Full Metal Jacket

Runners up: (in descending order)

Platoon
Deer Hunter
Das Boot

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Best movie in which war is the focal point: Glory

Best movie in which war is the backdrop: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Dunkirk and 1917 the best war movie I've seen.
Huh? Havent seen 1917, but I totally dont get the love/hype for Dunkirk. I saw it and just was not drawn into the story. My wife felt the same way.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Has nobody watched Generation War? It's pretty much flawless.
Not a movie, but a (German) TV series.

Good, but a long way from flawless. Mostly an inferior attempt to copy Band of Brothers.

Band of Brothers > The Pacific > Generation War > Generation Kill.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Thin Red Line is my favourite movie of all time because it is not a war movie, but anti war, it's one of the few movies i will watch again and again, the older i get the more i hate the violence in our world and wish people would just get along

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
the older i get the more i hate the violence in our world and wish people would just get along
Same here. These are my top two war films, which look at the cost to the people instead of glorifying the killing.
  • Threads (1984) - A young couple in Sheffield England (Ruth and Jimmy) find out they're having a baby right after the CIA topples the Iranian government via coup. The Soviets invade eastern Iran which causes the US to invade western Iran. We follow Ruth and Jimmy and their families plus the local leadership in Sheffield who have been given expanded wartime powers in a journey to the four minute warning and beyond. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.
  • Grave of the Fireflies (1988) - A 14 year-old boy Seita is left to raise his 4 year-old sister Setsuko after they escape (by the skin of his nuts) to a shelter during the 1945 firebombing of Kobe. But once they reach safety Seita finds out their mother didn't escape and has horrific burns all over her entire body, with no real chance of survival. Father was in the navy and is almost certainly dead. It's a struggle just to eat and death is around every corner. But Seita puts on a strong face, wanting to still give Setsuko a childhood, and does everything he can to make her smile while hiding the fact those are mommy's ashes he's carrying with him as his most important possession. Really enjoyed how this movie mirrored a lot of the struggles with poverty and starvation my grandmother, great uncle, and great grandmother dealt with in Aomori, Japan in a single parent household after my great grandfather was killed mining for the war effort. Also 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.
I don't want to show the trailer for Threads since it gives too much away, but the trailer for Grave of the Fireflies is great.

Last edited:
Reactions: BurnItDwn and KMFJD

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
Zero Dark Thirty - more the unseen and ugly parts of war vs brutal combat..I left the theater with a very uncomfortable feeling)

Dunkirk was a great movie with some epic scenes, but I don't think it hit quite like the three above.
I was also really impressed with Fury.

Reactions: highland145
Jun 18, 2000
The new Netflix German produced All Quiet on the Western Front was great. I'd put it in my top 5. All the other greats were already listed above.

Reactions: Captante

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Thin Red Line is my favourite movie of all time because it is not a war movie, but anti war, it's one of the few movies i will watch again and again, the older i get the more i hate the violence in our world and wish people would just get along

Thin Red Line is a masterpiece. Terrence Malick is a genius Director and the cinematography is amazing, so beautiful.

Empire of the Sun does not get enough love as a war movie, its another film I rewatch every few years and I should have had it on my original post from 2019 - below.

Jarhead is another war-movie that continues to suck me in with multiple rewatches.
Bridge Over the River Kwai is my all time favorite
apocalypse Now
Dunkirk
Thin Red Line is a masterpiece
BlackHawk Down
Three Kings