What Is Your Favourite Road Legal Car?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pedroc1999, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Brigandier

Brigandier Diamond Member

Caterham 7 CSR260.

Hell, any Caterham will do for me.

2. Sunny129

Sunny129 Diamond Member

i can't really name a single favorite road legal car b/c i could never narrow it down to one. i feel like the term "favorite" is too generic b/c i could love two cars equally as much, but for completely different reasons. that said, i suppose i do have a few favorites that specifically fall into the "most outrageous cars on the road" category.

recall that many GT racing series require that a minimum number of road-going production cars must be produced in order for that particular model to compete in the series. most models entered in these series are first built on massive production lines and then sold to race teams. but a handful of models had no production line whatsoever, and so they became homologation specials...that is, a minimum number of road-going cars were built specifically to allow that model to compete in their respective GT series . here are some of those cars...

Toyota GT One Road Car:
    [​IMG]

Nissan R390 Road Car:
    [​IMG]

Porsche 911 (996) GT1:
    [​IMG]

Mercedes Benz CLK GTR:
    [​IMG]

...most other sports cars are just sports cars built for the road (think Carrera, Elise, etc.), or perhaps even the track (think GT3 RS, Exige, etc.)...these bad boys are the opposite - they're race cars built for the road.

3. SpatiallyAware

4. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

McLaurin F1, no contest for me.

5. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

I would say the Porsche 959 is tops on my list. It was road legal outside the US so it counts in my books.

6. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

Mark Webber would like to have a few words with you about that car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kvDkNXLrn4

7. Sunny129

Sunny129 Diamond Member

i'm quite familiar w/ that footage...its also happened to another CLK GTR race car on a separate occasion, as well as to a 911 GT1 and a McLaren F1 at some point...and to think that Mark Webber is a good bit safer in his Red Bull Renault F1 car :eek:

8. BeauCharles

BeauCharles Member

Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X MR.

9. Baked

Baked Lifer

Porsche GT2 RS. Nothing else will do for me.

10. _Rick_

_Rick_ Diamond Member

If I could have any car in the world - I might have to go for an R5 turbo.
    [​IMG]

It may not be able to keep up with even today's hot hatches, but I love the 80s hatchback look, modified into that insanely steroidal final body.
    And of course, pedigree. The Delta Integrale HF is almost as cool.
    If I wanted a Lancia, it would be the Stratos though. That's going to be number two on the list.

And a real outsider: Peugeot 405 Turbo 16.
    Sadly not the real deal (front, not mid-engined), but still rare, and not the car you'd expect more than 200 horsepower in, with permanent 4WD.

A Ferrari 288 GTO would also be a fun race car to own, but maybe a bit brash. And it never really competed in Group B, so compared to a Delta, 037, Urquattro or 205 Turbo 16, it's a bit of a let down.

Oh, one more.

Alfa Romeo 8C.

It's so hard to pick definitive favourites, each one of these has their own advantages, be it rarity and style, historical background, engine, design, functionality.....

11. manimal

manimal Lifer

I had one in the 90s. With Swaybars it was amazing!
    993s and 80s slant nose's are to die for! I will own one of each someday!

12. Pedroc1999

Pedroc1999 Senior member

13. skyking

skyking Lifer

I feel your pain. I'm 6'2" but really long torsoed and short legged, so there are a bunch of really cool cars ( and planes ) that fall off the list.
    I really have to test fit anything before I fall in :wub:

14. vertika

vertika Member

Awesome with great look really.

15. videogames101

videogames101 Diamond Member

has to be the GT-R

the price for performance is just :D

16. madoka

madoka Platinum Member

The fun is when you step on the accelerator and then it feels like you're in the Matrix's bullet-time. Everyone else seems like they are standing still compared to you as you start weaving past them.

On the other hand, the GTR's interior is quite small given how much of a fat, bloated pig of a car it is. And the transmission feels and sounds very clunky. The car is also surprisingly low to the ground given how tall it rides and will scrape on two quarters stacked on top of each other. Heaven help you if you run into a concrete parking stop and crack the entire front spoiler. Even my Cayman S clears those things with room to spare.

17. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

McClaren F1 because three seats in a super car (!) and also I think it's still the fastest production car ever, isn't it? The Veyron with its bullshit stop and fiddle around for a speed run doesn't count for me. Also 20 years later and the F1 is still superb.

18. _Rick_

_Rick_ Diamond Member

Well, the various Koenigseggs are faster too, and the Hennessy Venom as well, probably. (And several other even more marginal vehicles)

Also, top speed literally means nothing, outside of speed runs on airfields or on special tracks, so the Veyron is actually doing it right.

19. Pia

Pia Golden Member

RX7 (FD), GT-R (R32).
    But unless I win the lottery, I don't see myself owning something that exotic and hard to maintain. Got no interest in working on cars. A S2000 would be more realistic.

20. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

I'd like to consider myself a bit of a technophile, so that might push me more toward the GT-R, which has gadgets and gizmos out its wazoo! However, I would be more than happy with a R32 or a R34. Hell, I'd even accept a R33! Sure, I could have a lot of fun whipping just about any nimble car around a curve, but part of me just wants to drive Godzilla.

21. Railgun

Railgun Golden Member

Total misconception.