What is your favorite resteraunt in your town that isn't a big chain?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
Manhattan
- 53rd/6th halal cart
- lombardi's pizza
- Daisy May's BBQ
- Wolfgang's Steakhouse

South Orange County
- Las Brisas
- Ding Tai Fung
- Boiling Crab
- Shik Do Rok

Last edited:

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
what's that place good for? I really don't know SF Chinatown unfortunately. I frequently ate in Oakland instead. SF's just too hard to drive around and to get around. Bart required walks, so for dimsum if I went to the peninsula, i would hit up Daly City or Millbrae.

FYI, this place is more of a cafe than a restaurant. I don't think they make dim sum here. They have fried/regular rice, chow mein, noodles, soup, etc. My favorite is the century egg congee/porridge and there's a great side dish you can order with it called "you tiao".

Drop by here also, it's just around the corner. It's definitely the best place for Pho, and I've been to a lot of different restaurants for this.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I just thought of one, but its not in my home town.
When I was stationed in Great Lakes I found a cool place in Libertyville called Micky Finns. The had excellent microbrews and damn good food.

Haven been there since the summer of 2001. I dunno if its still open or not. They were kind of expensive for what you actually got and places like that dont do well in recessions.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
El Sur - Mexican
El Guero Canelo - Mexican
TTT Truckstop - Truckstop
Zayna - Mediterranean
Zemam's - Ethiopian

Tucson

Las Trankas - Mexican in Rio Rico, AZ

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
We don't eat out too much ...money wasted but there is this Mexican place I think run by drug runners as a laundering facility because they give you like 4 breasts worth of meat in thier fajitas which only cost $7.99

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
5 hours later, and the thread title still hasn't been fixed.

anyone else as annoyed as I am? :(

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
In Madison - L'Etoile. I get whatever looks good on the menu, as it changes quite often. My favorite all-time meal was from nearby Chicago at Alinea. Thank goodness it's just far enough away and requires such advance planning that my laziness prevents me from going there regularly.

QFMFT

I was so happy when they opened a second location in Round Rock.

They also have a stall in the airport food court. Not sure what to make of that... I didn't spot a giant pit in the airport location though.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
La Concha Mexican Bakery and Deli in Madison, WI

It's very close to where I live, has really good food, and is affordable. The menu is pretty limited, but what they do make is right up my alley.

They have a huge assortment of baked goodies too, for about a dollar each.

When I go there, I'm consistently one of the only people in there that requests the English version of the menu, so I take that as a good sign that it's an authentic place. Or at least indicative of what part of town I live in ;)

Try this one.

La Mestiza‎, 6644 Odana Rd. It is one of two in the entire midwest which properly make tacos al carbon.

L

Lola

Slows BBQ in Detroit. Goddamn I could eat it until I got sick. Mmm..

Yea.. I cannot believe I forgot about it. :( Now that it is famous though it kinda sucks.
My brother saw that it was on Man vs. Food and wants to go!

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
In my city (Lowell, MA) there's everything.

Pizza: Conrad's. Literally 2 blocks away from my house and they will make you anything, even if it's not specifically on the menu.

Asian: Southeast Asian Restaurant (that's the actual name). They have everything from Cambodian to Vietnamese.

Greek: Olympia. Location is a bit iffy, but the food is well worth it.

Italian: Caffe il Cipresso. Technically this is in Tyngsboro, but by far the best. Everything is made when ordered and is all made in-house. I love the Ravioli al'aranccio.

Spanish: Cafe Madrid. Everything there is incredible. I love their seafood paella, so colorful and tasty. The chef hails from Barcelona (I was a little disappointed that his name is not Manuel).

American: Garrison's. This is actually in Billerica, but this is my go-to place for comfort food.

Breakfast: Vic's Waffle. Breakfast all-day, and their specials are terrific. They do have lunch menu, but I've never tried it.

Subs: Captain Jason's. This is just down the street from my house, and they load the hell out of their subs. If you want a meal to feed a couple people, get the fish and chips or haddock dinner. I swear they managed to cram an entire haddock into that carry-out box last time.

Mexican: La Carreta. OK, this is in Nashua, NH; but, it is well worth the trip. Great drinks, food, staff, ambience, etc.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Downtown Los Angeles:
Daikokuya - Best noodles
Bottega Louie - Best Manhattan
Rocket Pizza - Best Pizza
Toshi Sushi - Best Sushi
Wood Spoon - Great brazilian food
Blu la - Best hamburger
Fugetso-do - Best Japanese pastries.. yum!
Cielito Lindo on Olvera Street - Best tacos
Philippes - Best French Dip Sandwiches (and mustard)
SANDWICH SHOP - Best sandwiches

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
Tony's Pizza and Subs here in Clemson.
Now, in Lexington, SC, where I actually live, my favorite is The Bistro on West Main. REALLY good.

L

Lola

hmmmm... i need to check this place out...... :)

You HAVE to. Before the wait for dinner on Friday or Saturday night was about 1.5 hours on average. Now it is up to over 2.5 hours... but it is WORTH IT more than any other place I have ever been anywhere!

SN4p

Jan 20, 2005
Indianapolis

Cajun- Yats - http://www.yatscajuncreole.com/

Order from the counter, they have 6-7 different menu items up every day. They serve whatever you order over a bed of rice with delicious garlic bread. Very filling and incredibly delicious. Runs you like $7 with a drink.

Greek- Santorini Greek Kitchen - http://www.yelp.com/biz/santorini-greek-kitchen-indianapolis

Went on a mission one day to find something new to eat. Drove all over town then finally ended up here. Glad I made it. I have eaten real Greek food in Greece, this is as close as you can get over here. Delicious gyros and falafels, huge portions and always saganaki.

Pizza- Bazbeaux Pizza - http://www.yelp.com/biz/bazbeaux-pizza-indianapolis

Pizza. That owns.

Sushi- Kona Jacks - http://www.konajacksindy.com/

I know the guy that owns this place so maybe bias, but they have some incredible sushi. Very fresh, new and different ideas.

Steak- Marco's Restaurant and Lounge - http://www.yelp.com/biz/marcos-restaurant-and-lounge-indianapolis

This place is about a million years old, it's always packed. The Tuesday night deal is basically a $10 steak, which is an filet migon, cooked to your order, served up with salad and potato.

I miss home sometimes.

Miami

All kinda stuff, too many to list.