What is your experience with the ADATA SX8000 512GB drive ?

May 11, 2008
I noticed that the ADATA sx8000 512GB drive is a good alternative for the samsung 960 pro 512GB.
The ADATA sx8000 is a bit slower but also costs 2/3 of the price of a 960 pro.
Both are MLC 3D or V NAND drives.
But for me personally even the SX8000 would be a huge improvement over my current SATA SSD with peak read and writing of around 400MB/sec.

Are there any people here with experience with the SX8000 512GB ?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not the 512GB size, but I have a 128GB model in my DeskMini HTPC, which has been "static-zapped a few (too many?) times". Sometimes, just idling, the PC will just reboot, and then not be able to find the SSD.

I've also noticed that the Windows 10 Pro installed on it, is using the SSD constantly to write to, like CONSTANTLY. Not sure what it's doing. I have this theory that it is causing it to overheat. I had previously had the unit sitting flat, but I've turned it on it's side, onto the "foot" side, and if it no longer reboots on me, then I'll pretty-much know that the issue was M.2 SSD temps.

I have a Plextor M.2 PCI-E 128GB TLC SSD to plug in, to test with, at some point. That one has a heatsink.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Not the 512GB size, but I have a 128GB model in my DeskMini HTPC, which has been "static-zapped a few (too many?) times". Sometimes, just idling, the PC will just reboot, and then not be able to find the SSD.

I've also noticed that the Windows 10 Pro installed on it, is using the SSD constantly to write to, like CONSTANTLY. Not sure what it's doing. I have this theory that it is causing it to overheat. I had previously had the unit sitting flat, but I've turned it on it's side, onto the "foot" side, and if it no longer reboots on me, then I'll pretty-much know that the issue was M.2 SSD temps.

I have a Plextor M.2 PCI-E 128GB TLC SSD to plug in, to test with, at some point. That one has a heatsink.

Well -- if the HTPC had some episodes with static charges -- your experience with the SX8000 is really an experience with static electricity? I can see that you avoid passing judgment on the ADATA NVMe.

Frankly, I didn't know they had made this entry into the NVMe market until I investigated the OP's mention of the model. 2,500/1000 MB/s isn't top-end stellar performance, but it's good enough for that price. If I'd seen these units at those prices when I was pulling the checkout string on my 960 Pro, I might have been tempted to get the ADATA instead.

I've used ADATA SATA SSDs -- one currently as boot disk for a system that does HTPC duty. I've never had a problem with the general brand.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Recently made a SSD purchase and chose between Plextor M8Pe and ADATA SX8000. Considering better speed ratings and better (theoretical) TBW numbers for the Plextors even though they use Toshiba 15nm MLC NAND, I went with a Plextor M8PeGN.

Consider it another affordable option besides ADATA, these two brands are actually the only ones I had access to with NVME drives at comparable pricing with SATA drives. Anandtech review here.

PS: for those shopping around, do not include the Plextor M8Se in your comparison list, these are TLC drives.