What is your effective federal income tax rate?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Now that tax season is upon us, what is everyone's effective federal income tax rate? TurboTax places it on the main overview page. I am curious, since so many people blast some of the rich for only paying 15%

Mine is:
Effective Tax Rate 9.87%

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
23.0% federal
7.1% state
30.1% combined

FU all

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Hmmm....not sure, to be honest. Never used it. I suppose you can just take your income (before deductions and such) and your taxes paid out to find the effective percentage.

LagunaX

Jan 7, 2010
If you are mid to upper middle class plus living in California or other areas like NYC then you can be effectively >40% with federal, SS, state, and local property/other taxes. That is not even including sales tax. It is not hard either to meet this criteria with a dual income such as 2 married professionals that have no significant deductions if they are employees.

That's just how it is and how a minority of Americans pay the majority of tax.

Even if the likes of Romney pay only 15% (deductions, long term gains, etc.), 15% of millions is still a lot more tax paid total than 30% of $150k.

Last edited:

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
The household I live in was income taxed about 24% federal last year. It won't be as much this year because now he takes Tuesdays and Fridays off, although we volunteer at the clinic on Tuesday. I think VA income is more than 5%. The sad thing is that my dad stopped making a lot of money right before the Bush tax cuts went into effect. I think during most of the Clinton years his effective Federal income tax rate was 33% and we had more deductions then.

He's never been good with money, unfortunately. He pays someone to manage his savings rather than just buying gold and he's lost about 1-2% (plus what inflation has eaten up which is about 5-10% total over the past 6 quarters) each the past 6 or so quarters. He has $1.3Mn in stocks, bonds, and cash (the house is appraised by the city at about $525k), but is about $275k in debt (can't pay the house early because of the income tax), so he's worth $1.025mn not including the house. However, that will rapidly deplete once he retires so I won't inherit anything. If the govt only collected its revenues only in gold and collected half of what they do he'd probably have more than $3mn (plus the house) and I'd never have to work. Needless to say being a doctor's son really went to waste.

Last edited:

LagunaX

Jan 7, 2010
Yeah come 2013 Obama plans to tax your dad $1,000,000 estate tax exemption and 55% estate tax rate.

He'd better living trust that puppy soon!

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
0, I've stopped paying Federal Taxes. I no longer support the Federal Government, I realize there are consequences for my actions, but I really don't care. To much inequality supported by the State, I cannot support such a corrupt entity.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Yes, Yes and yes.

With a low six figs, mortgage interest and no marriage penalty, low teens sounds right.

Mine starts with a 3, i have no mortgage, and i am in marriage penalty territory. And AMT.

Last edited:

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
However, that will rapidly deplete once he retires so I won't inherit anything. If the govt only collected its revenues only in gold and collected half of what they do he'd probably have more than $3mn (plus the house) and I'd never have to work. Needless to say being a doctor's son really went to waste.

You sound like a winner.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
22.7% federal, 9.7% state = a combined 32.4%.

Edit: I assume we're computing based on percentage of taxable income, not AGI.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
23.0% federal
7.1% state
30.1% combined

FU all

With a low six figs, mortgage interest and no marriage penalty, low teens sounds right.

Mine starts with a 3, i have no mortgage, and i am in marriage penalty territory. And AMT.

Mew! Most Americans would give their left nut to pay big taxes on big money, regard themselves a fortunate rather than oppressed...

Nice break on income over the SS cutoff, huh?

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
22.7% federal, 9.7% state = a combined 32.4%.

Edit: I assume we're computing based on percentage of taxable income, not AGI.

Basically, whatever you have to pay, percentage wise, in Federal Income Tax...the amount TurboTax (or a tax firm, or yourself if you do the paper route) says you have to pay.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Basically, whatever you have to pay, percentage wise, in Federal Income Tax...the amount TurboTax (or a tax firm, or yourself if you do the paper route) says you have to pay.

That's still not a crisp definition. Example:

Suppose you're married filing jointly and your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is $100,000K, but after deductions and exemptions your taxable income is $75K. Assuming all of your income is "ordinary" (no Qualified Dividends or Long Term Captital Gains), the federal tax on $75K is $11,119 (2011 tax tables).

So, is the effective tax rate 11,119/75,000 = 14.8%, or is it 11,119/100,000 = 11.1%?

I based my effective rate on taxable income, not AGI.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
That's still not a crisp definition. Example:

Suppose you're married filing jointly and your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is $100,000K, but after deductions and exemptions your taxable income is $75K. Assuming all of your income is "ordinary" (no Qualified Dividends or Long Term Captital Gains), the federal tax on $75K is $11,119 (2011 tax tables).

So, is the effective tax rate 11,119/75,000 = 14.8%, or is it 11,119/100,000 = 11.1%?

I based my effective rate on taxable income, not AGI.

Not sure, I will look at mine and see which it comes out to be. I will do the math when I get home from work. My initial guess is the latter of your two examples.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
"Effective" tax rate only has meaning when you measure against all your income. Once you start taking off for deductions, exemptions, etc then it's no longer your "effective" tax rate IMHO.

You can't say someone has an effective tax rate of 17% if they had $1 million in income but managed to get their taxable income down to $100K and paid $17,200 in tax. In my view they have an effective tax rate of 1.7%. That's how much tax they paid on their total income.

Isn't the point of looking at effective tax rates to see how much tax is paid on the total income?