What is your absolute favourite sci-fi book?

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Any Discworld novel by Prachett. (more comedic fantasy than SciFi)

But when I was young, I read the Steven R Donaldson trilogies "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" and they really stuck with me for ages.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
HHGTTG was great.

also enjoy the star wars: rouge squardron series. oh and Robert Asprin's series Phule's company

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Not entirely sure it counts as sci-fi but:

Brave New World by Adolous Huxley

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I can't pick one, here's 5.

E.E. "Doc" Smith - Lensman series
David Drake & S.M. Stirling - The General series
David Drake - Hammer's Slammers stories
Keith Laumer - Retief stories
L.E. Modesitt, Jr. - Adiamante

Honorable mention:
Sharon Lee & Steve Miller, Brian Daley, James Schmitz, H. Beam Piper, C.J. Cherryh, David Webber, Julian May, A.E. Van Vogt, Doris Piserchia, Alan Dean Foster, Robert Heinlien, .... a dozen more but I'm supposed to be working :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: jdoggg12
enders game

Good book, I read it a long time ago. Then I tried to read Children of the Mind after skipping Xenocide and ummm I can't remember the 2nd book, but anyway... it didn't make much sense :p.

slurmsmackenzie

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Aikouka
enders game

Good book, I read it a long time ago. Then I tried to read Children of the Mind after skipping Xenocide and ummm I can't remember the 2nd book, but anyway... it didn't make much sense :p.

ender's shadow.... excellent book.
i loved how it brought bean from the mean streets to the academy. i think his struggle with the gang leader kid (i forget his name) was better than ender's with bonzo madrid.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Strictly sci-fi, not sure.
If we're talking fantasy too, then the whole Discworld series is my favorite. I've read all the books at least twice so far.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
But when I was young, I read the Steven R Donaldson trilogies "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" and they really stuck with me for ages.

I read the first one and thought it was horrible. I got about halfway through the second and couldn't handle it. That is the only book I have not finished. Ever. I actually threw the books in the trash because they were so bad. Something about them just bored me to tears.

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
It'd probably have to be Ender's Game, just because I read it when I was 11-12 and it stuck with me so completely.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: slurmsmackenzie
Originally posted by: Aikouka
enders game

ender's shadow.... excellent book.
i loved how it brought bean from the mean streets to the academy. i think his struggle with the gang leader kid (i forget his name) was better than ender's with bonzo madrid.

Achilles. (Ah-Shilz)

but ya, i loved the entire series. I can't wait until Shadows in Flight.