What is wrong with Rosetta ? No units available for 2 days ????

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Should I put everything back on WCG ??

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Sorry to hear that. Yeah, we are quite safe from FB Marathon attack in Rosetta now, do what you need to do. We appreciate you holding down the fort for us this last week or so!

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
2 days!? Damn :( , I tried to switch my CPUs back to Rosetta today, but nadda, I saw they are out of WUs, didn't realise how long though.
Doesn't seem to be any official word from the Rosetta site, and people aren't expecting it to be fixed until next week.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
This is where I need to figure out how to do seamless project switching. Rosetta has been running out of WUs more than I like, and I would love for my Pis to automatically switch to WCG when Rosetta is out of work (and only when Rosetta is out of work)

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
To explain what @emoga suggested:
If a project is configured to 0 % resource share, the work request policy of the client changes qualitatively at that project. It will emit work requests only when the corresponding resource (CPU or GPU) completely runs out of work. (All 'runnable' work across all projects which are active on the client combined.) And it will request very little work, such that the server typically¹ sends only one new task per CPU or GPU, regardless of the client's work buffer size setting.

________
¹) I have seen more than one task per GPU received occasionally when Amicable Numbers was at 0 % resource share. I have never seen it receive more than 1 task per idle logical CPU on any CPU-only project with 0 % resource share.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
To explain what @emoga suggested:
If a project is configured to 0 % resource share, the work request policy of the client changes qualitatively at that project. It will emit work requests only when the corresponding resource (CPU or GPU) completely runs out of work. (All 'runnable' work across all projects which are active on the client combined.) And it will request very little work, such that the server typically¹ sends only one new task per CPU or GPU, regardless of the client's work buffer size setting.

________
¹) I have seen more than one task per GPU received occasionally when Amicable Numbers was at 0 % resource share. I have never seen it receive more than 1 task per idle logical CPU on any CPU-only project with 0 % resource share.
I presume to set this up, it is a project xml change?

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
This is configured at the project web site. At World Community Grid, it's at Settings -> Device Manager -> Device Profiles -> and then usually Default. There it is at the bottom of the page, labeled "Project Weight".

At almost all other BOINC project web sites, it is at $PROJECT_URL/prefs.php?subset=project, alias "Preferences for this project" on your user account page, and is the option at the top, labeled "Resource share".

At Einstein@home, it is Dashboard -> Preferences -> Project -> the option "Resource share" at the top.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
What is wrong with Rosetta ? No units available for 2 days ????
It is normal for Rosetta@home to be out of work for many days in a row. That's when all current work batches were completed, and either scientists haven't supplied new experiments already, or admins haven't turned such experiments into workunits yet.

It is unfortunately also normal for Rosetta@home that there is little to no communication from scientists/admins to contributors about that.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Yea the breaks I could understand, but theirs no excuse for not posting just a few lines explaining why! :rolleyes: