What is wrong with my OpenGL?

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Win7 GTX 660 TI, 326.41 Drivers

This is a problem I see for a LOOONG time already, not only on this machine and the 660 TI.

Here is a screen shot to show what I mean. (Mind you I enhanced contrast somewhat since the saved SS didn't reflect what I see in game, the saved SS was too dark).

amne-test.jpg

(You need to bring the pic to full resolution otherwise you won't see it). Note how it looks like OpenGL cannot render seamless color shades/transitions...it looks almost like it's rendering in 16bit or something. You can see the particular "steps" in colors of grays as opposed to a smooth transition.

Why is that?

This is an old game, Amnesia, but it's not THAT old either.

It looks even worse in game since the "steps" of shades do not move, it just looks entirely awful

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Looks to me like too much gamma use to increase the brightness on parts that are intended to be much darker.

You should try to calibrate the color and brightness settings in the game. What makes me believe it's a gamma issue is seeing the rainbow effects in the color banding.

Lorne

Feb 5, 2001
Might be the limits of the graphics programming level, Some older games just dont improve or scale better with newer hardware.