What is with used Mustang GT (4.6) prices?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Although I will give him the overhang, as that is his opinion.

My only gripe is that half my motor is under the dashboard...

Guess the weight distribution isn't bad, but the cab forward design is just stupid. They were trying to emulate their mid-engined concept car. Why? Why not make a musclecar look like a musclecar? Why the 90s obsession with making every vehicle look like an economy car? That's why the engine is under the dash.

I test drove a Z28 4th gen Camaro and while it was fast, you also couldn't see the hood at all. It feels like you're in a plane with that huge dash in front of you. I could tell by looking at the engine bay that even basic things like changing spark plugs would be really hard.

Last edited:

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Yeah, I know. Before going to the local Ford dealership's site I checked MSRP.

The local dealership's site has two GT's one was right at $40K, the other at $45K. Because this is a less populated area, I expect prices to be higher than in big cities. But it could also be that the base model lacks too much and you have to go with (expensive) options to get a decent car, or that demand is high and they can ream you for it. IDK.

Also, when I see MSRP I'm a little suspicious. They always seem to tack on extra charges, e.g., delivery charges and whatnot.

Fern

You mean you EXPECT to pay over MSRP? :confused: Around here, MSRP is the worst that should be possible.

'Destination fee' comes on the window sticker from the manufacturer, usually $500-1000. Remember that the car has to sit on a factory lot, where it might get plucked up by a car hauler to go directly to a nearby dealer. Or one across the country. Or to a boat, then another hauler and halfway across the country (assuming it came in on the proper coast).

It looks like a 2k+ price increase from 2013 to 2014, though. No more 27-28k optionless GT's, which were admittedly already rare. They had plenty of amenities, though...not exactly like you were missing out on power locks/windows, keyless entry, or other accepted norms. I honestly don't know what else I would option, aside from suspension or brake packages (IIRC they're pretty overpriced, though).

7window

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
whats the price on a new mustang gt now? Lets say an excellent deal for a new mustang gt?

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
The BRZ is a modern platform with a nice modern interior and good sports car proportions

It looks like a 1990's Eclipse with a 90's Honda interior.

And yeah, I might get one soon. Only reason I haven't is because I hear nightmare stories about the factory stereo.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
whats the price on a new mustang gt now? Lets say an excellent deal for a new mustang gt?

~30k MSRP for 2014, up from ~28k for 2013 models. So the latter probably invoiced for somewhere around 26, maybe?

Unless it's a leftover that the dealer just needs to dump (probably not happening with low-priced GT's), 'best price' isn't going to be better than invoice.

7window

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
wow they have gone up. So if the OP finds a low mileage gt for 24k I would get it.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I drove this yellow 2006 V8 and it blew me away. Awesome power, easy to oversteer, great handling, nice short throw shifter. http://www.lonestarchevrolet.com/us...-Houston-8561f4740a0a0065017a64f225cee778.htm

Then I went to check out that 2011 V6, but it was already sold.

So I went back and bought the yellow GT. I paid $10800. I've been driving for the past 3 hours. The best part isn't the horsepower (it is really nice though), it's the incredible sound it makes, even idling around a parking lot. I went to Buc-ee's for gas and all the high school guys looked at it. I don't name cars but I've been calling it Yellowbird, like the school bus maker. I'll report back with how it works on rough back roads!

Edit: It has 120k miles, but a single owner. I'm pretty sure the PO was a real car enthusiast to have bought a manual GT in bright yellow with retro chrome wheels, which should mean good maintenance.

2wb3zPW.jpg

Last edited:

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
You'll probably get some polarized opinions on the yellow paint. I don't mind it...I just wouldn't buy it for myself, 'cause I'm a paranoid asshole. I like my grey sedan, thankyouverymuch, Officer McCantidentifyme.

But otherwise, I completely approve. Mileage is a little high, but the price is pretty nice. I believe you literally cannot buy a model year that new with a V8 for any cheaper. To get under the 10k mark, you'd have to go back to fourth gen F-bodies and Mustangs. You could spend a good 6-7k on a >10 year old Mustang GT with similar mileage...I'd step up to 10-11k to buy 06 or 07 (05 was first model year, right? I don't buy first model year.:colbert:). And that's considering that I actually strongly prefer the 99-04 aesthetics.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I had ruled this one out because of the yellow paint, but it grew on me as I thought about it... I like the idea of driving around in a yellow manual V8 musclecar in a city full of droll silver crossover SUVs.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
May 13, 2009
I thought about a 2013 Mustang v6. Got the dealer down to 19.5k like 22k out the door. Just doesn't fit me at this time in my life. I needed better mileage and cargo room. The windows seemed tiny as hell and hard to see around you. Nice car overall but just not the right time for me.
Congrats on the gt. 120k not really bad. Just expect to have some repairs on the horizon.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Here it is with my E36. The E36 has been out of comission for a couple weeks because I've been waiting for the cooling system parts. The guy who's been fixing it is going to take it home and check it out, and will probably buy it.

tLEI7Vr.jpg

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
It looks like a 1990's Eclipse with a 90's Honda interior.

And yeah, I might get one soon. Only reason I haven't is because I hear nightmare stories about the factory stereo.

Then you are buying the car for the wrong reasons.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I found out why my car sounds like Bullitt... it has Magnaflow mufflers. That's good because I'd never put on aftermarket mufflers myself, but they make the car sound great. Cruising on the highway they are quiet though.

But here is how I discovered that... I was a dumbass. I was at a stop light on a highway (249) and didn't realize it was a slight slope so I didn't brake. Suddenly I felt a slam, like I got rear ended. Turned out I rolled backwards into an old lady's Buick. The bumper shell has a crack and chipped paint. But I was surprised to see that there is no foam or padding of any kind inside. It just covers a crossmember. I know Ronald Reagan reduced the bumper regulation from 5mph to 2.5mph, but surely a bumper has to work as a bumper. I don't care about cosmetics, but that couldn't have damaged the frame could it?

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I've never pulled a bumper off a stock car (no prior repairs) and not found foam. Plastic fascia
-> foam -> steel support is the norm.

I doubt you damaged anything besides the cover. May not have done that if the foam was there...I'm assuming there's space for it, right? The cover should certainly not just have empty space behind it.

Shoddy collision repairs are not a good sign.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I've never pulled a bumper off a stock car (no prior repairs) and not found foam. Plastic fascia
-> foam -> steel support is the norm.

I doubt you damaged anything besides the cover. May not have done that if the foam was there...I'm assuming there's space for it, right? The cover should certainly not just have empty space behind it.

Shoddy collision repairs are not a good sign.

There is about 3mm of hard foam between the bumper and crossmember. There's no room for foam that would actually absorb energy in a bump. If you google the bumper part for these cars, all you find is the shell.