What is white privilege?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Quoted for sheer chutzpah, racism & detachment from reality.

Higher unemployment among blacks is just a consequence of... white privilege. It's not rocket science, but, for you, that'd be not getting hit in the eye with a bottle rocket.

Not that your propaganda poisoned mental processes have a chance of catching a glimmer of truth, but putting it out there might benefit somebody else.

You're right, it's not rocket science.

"In 2009-10 the national graduation rate for Black male students was 52%. The graduation rate for White, non-Latino males was 78%."

Percent of US crimes that committed by a high school dropout - 75 %

Amount of money a high school graduate will earn more than a drop out - $260,000

Percent of black drop outs that have spent time in prison - 60 %

Percent of US jobs a high school dropout is not eligible for - 90 %

http://www.statisticbrain.com/high-school-dropout-statistics/

http://blackboysreport.org/national-summary/black-male-graduation-rates#sthash.HO33ybjr.dpuf

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I disagree. Black culture after emancipation was not notably more violent, or less moral, or otherwise worse than the mainstream white majority culture. I think we're seeing two trends colliding. Our society as a whole is getting more tolerant of - even appreciative of - violence. And blacks were disproportionately affected by the ills of our welfare system which empowers women to have children out of wedlock, due to having started at a lower economic base. Remove the single parent bias and you've largely eliminated the violence and criminality gaps between races. Also remove the economic status gap (which largely goes away with the removal of the single parent bias) and the gaps pretty much vanish, depending on who does the math.

As I noted above, I don't buy into the premise that blacks inherited a slave culture, but I will say that slavery inhibits work ethic. As a slave, no one can be more oppressive than one's owner, yet a slave's hard work directly enriches that person. There is no opportunity to quit and find a better owner, the best owner is going to keep the lion's share of any surplus produced, and there is little opportunity to negotiate a better deal. (Although some slaves did negotiate a better deal and purchase their own freedom, as I understand it that is much less likely under race-based slavery than earlier versions of slavery.) Thus the South discovered that while slavery is a great way to concentrate wealth, it's a lousy way to create wealth, because it disencentizes those who produce the wealth. One can similarly make a good argument about respect for authority; if the system makes me property by virtue of birth and/or skin color, why on Earth would I have any respect for the system and its authority?

But as I said, I don't buy into the premise.

Good point.

I don't think white privilege is greatly extant anymore, but there is one way in which it definitely lingers. The legacy of slavery, Jim Crow segregation, and institutionalized discrimination left blacks statistically much lower economically. On average, if one is born black one simply stands a lower chance of being born extremely wealthy, or wealthy, or even middle class; one stands a lower chance of being a legacy at a good college, or attending a decent primary school system, or having influential friends and relatives. These things are why we have Affirmative Action in a nutshell, because otherwise the race-based advantages disappear very, very slowly.

You need to take a long hard look at the difference between your first paragraph and your last, which still misses the mark if not by much.

If the last paragraph is true, then the first paragraph ignores the truth of it entirely, don't you think? How can you possibly hold that both can be equally valid in your own mind?

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Some black people have a problem with "acting white" when they are at a job although white people have to "act corporate" at their job too but black people don't realize this and just think the way white people act at work is how they act 24/7 and find it annoying but its not really true, white people go home and cut loose too.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
You're right, it's not rocket science.

"In 2009-10 the national graduation rate for Black male students was 52%. The graduation rate for White, non-Latino males was 78%."

Percent of US crimes that committed by a high school dropout - 75 %

Amount of money a high school graduate will earn more than a drop out - $260,000

Percent of black drop outs that have spent time in prison - 60 %

Percent of US jobs a high school dropout is not eligible for - 90 %

http://www.statisticbrain.com/high-school-dropout-statistics/

http://blackboysreport.org/national-summary/black-male-graduation-rates#sthash.HO33ybjr.dpuf
Thats because Detroit, Chicago Washington D.C. etc all have terrible schools.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You need to take a long hard look at the difference between your first paragraph and your last, which still misses the mark if not by much.

If the last paragraph is true, then the first paragraph ignores the truth of it entirely, don't you think? How can you possibly hold that both can be equally valid in your own mind?
The first paragraph is specifically refuting the idea that the legacy of slavery trained blacks to be violent. I explicitly pointed out that this is not borne out by black society after emancipation. Two other factors apply. First, slavery is a system that discourages violence in slaves by punishing violence much more strongly than in free men within the same society. And additionally, we must each choose our own actions.

The last paragraph concerns economics. One can certainly CHOOSE to reject poverty by searching out and embracing those behaviors that defeat poverty. However, one cannot CHOOSE to be born to a wealthy two-parent family. One cannot choose to have a parent who graduated from Yale for a legacy admission. One cannot choose to have a relative or family friend who runs a bank. One cannot choose to live in a great school district. Strictly speaking one's parents can make all these things happen, but one does not get to choose one's parents, and one's parents' background dictate how difficult or easy such a journey will be for them. Even conceiving of such a thing can be difficult; recall Oprah, who says her mother's hope for her was that she find some good white folks to serve. Assuming Oprah is being truthful, her mother was limited in her dreams by what she considered practical given the world around her.

The two paragraphs are not at all in conflict. That one is born poor in no way requires one to be ignorant and violent. The entire Asian immigrant experience aptly proves this, as Asian immigrants routinely come to this country with no marketable skills and often little English, succeed into a middle class lifestyle, and have children who become upper middle class.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The first paragraph is specifically refuting the idea that the legacy of slavery trained blacks to be violent. I explicitly pointed out that this is not borne out by black society after emancipation. Two other factors apply. First, slavery is a system that discourages violence in slaves by punishing violence much more strongly than in free men within the same society. And additionally, we must each choose our own actions.

Gawd. That's an extremely lame misrepresentation of what you actually said-

I disagree. Black culture after emancipation was not notably more violent, or less moral, or otherwise worse than the mainstream white majority culture. I think we're seeing two trends colliding. Our society as a whole is getting more tolerant of - even appreciative of - violence. And blacks were disproportionately affected by the ills of our welfare system which empowers women to have children out of wedlock, due to having started at a lower economic base. Remove the single parent bias and you've largely eliminated the violence and criminality gaps between races. Also remove the economic status gap (which largely goes away with the removal of the single parent bias) and the gaps pretty much vanish, depending on who does the math.

You just explained the first sentence. After that, the rest is just you skipping across the touchstones of right wing mythology, exhibiting remarkable leaps of faith. Now explain the rest in light of what you said in the final paragraph-

I don't think white privilege is greatly extant anymore, but there is one way in which it definitely lingers. The legacy of slavery, Jim Crow segregation, and institutionalized discrimination left blacks statistically much lower economically. On average, if one is born black one simply stands a lower chance of being born extremely wealthy, or wealthy, or even middle class; one stands a lower chance of being a legacy at a good college, or attending a decent primary school system, or having influential friends and relatives. These things are why we have Affirmative Action in a nutshell, because otherwise the race-based advantages disappear very, very slowly.

The only way to reconcile that is to attempt to ignore it, to Deny that you contradicted yourself at all.

Don't worry about defending your position, given that it's already toast. Worry about how your head works and what you might be able to do to straighten it out.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
It's when you actually have to get caught breaking the law to get pulled over and/or hassled by cops.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
More bullshit that no ones falling for anymore. We live in a competitive world and losers regardless of color will blame anything for their fail. Race is easy for the really stupid people. Black more than everyone - it's pervasive and Obama chided thier dumb asses at moorhouse commencement - coincidentally whites are the second biggest whiners with so called "reverse racism" cry.

Cant wait till amnesty is granted and real Americans (Mexicans/mestizos) show both up like Asians already do.

I used to be against it because I felt sorry for lower class whites and blacks who will be displaced. Not anymore they whine way too much.

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
BTW I'm as white as you get. blond blue blah blah blah. So are my brothers. Ones a loser in and out of prisons with 3-4 baby mamas and 6 kids you're paying for along with my bleeding heart mom. One is a low life day laborer but manages to stay out of jail just stupid enough not to get a real career smart enough to stay out of trouble. One is a pharmacist. I was a materiel engineer before I stopped working for the man at 30. My point? we are all individauls and make our own choices. This crap about blaming race. Or wealth. Or your parents into your 30s are just that crap.

You put me and my brother clinton anyplace in the world flat broke. I will be wealthy in 5 years. He will be doing 5 to life. It is what it is. Our individual habits ad constitution demands it.

That doesnt mean we can't help people out or show compassion but it must come with expectations which we have none of today. Look at these fools - total ignoramuses they allow to graduate HS, which we pay more per capita than anyone for BTW and have worst results globally, thats a culture of low expectations and needs to end color/privilege be damned.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
You put me and my brother clinton anyplace in the world flat broke. I will be wealthy in 5 years. He will be doing 5 to life. It is what it is. Our individual habits ad constitution demands it.

THIS can't be stated enough. Although what's the use? Most liberals in denial will still refuse to believe you can do what you are passionate for.

Nov 8, 2012
Thats because Detroit, Chicago Washington D.C. etc all have terrible schools.

My fiance grew up in the shit parts of town - considering she immigrated here at the age of 6 and grew up in an area that the minority was the majority.... yes, the schools were shit. But guess what? They do have honors classes. Yes, you can push yourself. She was taking classes that were 2 normal grades ahead of her. By the time she hit college she already had most of credits done.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Cant wait till amnesty is granted and real Americans (Mexicans/mestizos) show both up like Asians already do.

Hispanic test scores are more comparable to blacks than to Asians/Whites. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Detroit, Chicago Washington D.C. etc all have schools with poor black students.

It's also irrelevant considering my coworker put his kids in public school here in the district and they are both Honor Students.

He is white, so is that white privilege? His two girls goto a predominantly black school (Woodson I think) and are somehow honor students.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
It's also irrelevant considering my coworker put his kids in public school here in the district and they are both Honor Students.

He is white, so is that white privilege? His two girls goto a predominantly black school (Woodson I think) and are somehow honor students.

Well if sticking black kids in an predominantly white school is suppose to magically make them good students maybe the reverse holds :D

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Hispanic test scores are more comparable to blacks than to Asians/Whites. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Test scores are whatever they speak a different language. Work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit is what I'm talking about. People will hire hispanics over just about anyone because they know it will be good for bottom line regardless of what EEOC says you can and can't do. Go look at a construction crew sometime or small factory not unionized. Look at many small businesses they are starting around you. Hispanics are leaders of tomorrow without all the whining.

Their only weakness is language. They will be super dangerous to whiners job security once they assimilate.

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
THIS can't be stated enough. Although what's the use? Most liberals in denial will still refuse to believe you can do what you are passionate for.

I'm actually pretty liberal as in like programs like SBA which gives little guy a shot which Republicans try and kill about every 4 years. Like idea of national health care so you can work and not worry about job switching in our volatile market where employees don't stick with a company 30 years anymore which republicans hate. Like idea of free education. Basically equal opportunity. Liberal today are off the hook though they are commies and believe in equal results. Who cares about effort or individual. They look up a chart and see xyz not exactly equal to population % and something must be done. Thats why our schools are terrible too. Everyone must pass so they dumb down whole curriculum and fire/sideline good teachers who demand performance.

Rachel Jeantel HS graduate nuff said. I feel sorry for her - she is unemployable without another set aside program fostering more mediocrity - we have failed her and millions like her. Not to mention tax payers paying for it at ridiculous costs.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I'm actually pretty liberal as in like programs like SBA which gives little guy a shot which Republicans try and kill about every 4 years. Like idea of national health care so you can work and not worry about job switching in our volatile market where employees don't stick with a company 30 years anymore which republicans hate. Like idea of free education. Basically equal opportunity. Liberal today are off the hook though they are commies and believe in equal results. Who cares about effort or individual. They look up a chart and see xyz not exactly equal to population % and something must be done. Thats why our schools are terrible too. Everyone must pass so they dumb down whole curriculum and fire/sideline good teachers who demand performance.

Well unless it is whites and/or men not exactly equal to population %. You don't exactly see liberals complaining about the fact that 60% of college graduates are women.

Sep 7, 2009
What a sad thread full of excuses.

Imagine what you would accomplish if you worked hard rather than living your life blaming everything around you for your situation? You know, like the rest of society..

But... I guess it's easier to punch the gubment handout tickets and blame the rich people.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Is that why all of Latin America is such a great place to live?:confused:

It's actually not bad. Didnt Rush talk about moving to Costa Rica? Anyway latin America has big problems of wealth distribution. Like in Mexico 10 families own everything 5% protects them everyone else is in strangling poverty.. Sure when you got nothing to lose you lose it as many have and resort to crime and whatnot. But I'm talking about ones that come here or countries a little more egalitarian like equador costa rica and such.

I don't really put any stock in race theory. We are all the same given right environment. Unfortunately blacks have the worst environment. low expectation race pimps white and black, broken homes, etc are destroying them. White is second crying about someone taking their spot and emulating low expectations like Jersey shore or whatever. Asians and Latinos are on the ball so far and not ruined yet.

Last edited:

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I'm going to create a vanilla ice cream with chunks of white chocolate in it and call it "White Privilege". Wonder if it will sell. Maybe I should market it in Mississippi only.