What is white privilege?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So why am I only hearing about White Privilege?

Don't be deliberately obtuse. The frame of reference is the USA, where whites are the majority. Similar situations likely exist in other cultures, but that doesn't mean they're really valid, either.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Quoted for sheer chutzpah, racism & detachment from reality.

Higher unemployment among blacks is just a consequence of... white privilege. It's not rocket science, but, for you, that'd be not getting hit in the eye with a bottle rocket.

Not that your propaganda poisoned mental processes have a chance of catching a glimmer of truth, but putting it out there might benefit somebody else.

So it has nothing to do with them dropping out of high school and 1/3 black men under 30 being in prison/parole/probation?

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
You will never understand this issue if you can't remove "yourself" from the equation. You have to experience it from the other side, or at least make an honest attempt at trying to understand it from that perspective.

Give me an example without culture being the predominant reason why I lock my doors or any other various thing cited earlier.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Give me an example without culture being the predominant reason why I lock my doors or any other various thing cited earlier.
Culture is usually a major factor in the existence of "privilege." Why are you asking for one without it?

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Culture is usually a major factor in the existence of "privilege." Why are you asking for one without it?

Because one culture promotes and glorifies violent actions? Notice I am going back to my example earlier. Why am I labeled as having white priveledge when I lock my doors after getting near black youth living that culture at the same time not labeled when I goto the local park as one of the only white families there? There are several varying differences within the black community that are not shared by a majority of white people that white people could care less about.

If culture is a major factor and I base my choices on one particular culture and not others whose fault is that? Mine?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Because one culture promotes and glorifies violent actions? Notice I am going back to my example earlier. Why am I labeled as having white priveledge when I lock my doors after getting near black youth living that culture at the same time not labeled when I goto the local park as one of the only white families there? There are several varying differences within the black community that are not shared by a majority of white people that white people could care less about.

If culture is a major factor and I base my choices on one particular culture and not others whose fault is that? Mine?
I'm not referring only to black culture when I mention culture, but I'm not surprised that you assume that I am. I am also not surprised that you openly post about why you think black culture is inferior. I'm also not surprised that you think black culture is the only culture that glorifies violence, or at least that you think white culture does not.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So it has nothing to do with them dropping out of high school and 1/3 black men under 30 being in prison/parole/probation?

Citing yet another aspect of white privilege. Thank you.

It runs deeper than your crippled intellect can possibly fathom, but I'm sure you'll be able to rationalize what you believe to be true. It's a function of human nature, and of the conditioning you've received.

You think just the way your handlers want you to think, reach the conclusions they want you to reach while laboring under the illusion that it's not so.

You're not alone. Millions of Americans & others are similarly afflicted. That headset is a triumph of propaganda.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Sounds like the issue is that black people refuse to adopt white culture :colbert:

Black people adopted the culture that white people imposed upon them, the culture of slavery. The conditioning behind that, imposed by violence, is obviously profound, and lingers to this day.

White privilege reinforces it, of course. Not that it matters to you, given that you're ideologically predisposed to reject reason that doesn't support your beliefs.

You reject the idea that their experience and headset is valid, anyway, and you'll defend that premise with whatever bullshit you can fling.

You could just scream "White Power!" to show your true colors...

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I'm not referring only to black culture when I mention culture, but I'm not surprised that you assume that I am. I am also not surprised that you openly post about why you think black culture is inferior. I'm also not surprised that you think black culture is the only culture that glorifies violence, or at least that you think white culture does not.

Switch it to Middle Eastern culture then, the same thing applies. Not all Middle Eastern people are terrorists or promote hate filled rhetoric and their culture is perfectly fine, no one really cares who they are or what they do. It's not until a certain group of them promote violence that I take notice are start being cautious. If I were to roll up on a KKK rally I'll do the exact same thing.

What I am getting at (now that I know what everyone is referring too with the topic) is that it is all based on situation and should not just be a blanket statement. I live in a predominately black community and I leave my car doors open all the time, hell I have left 2 grand in yard equipment out front without a care in the world.

I feel that my family is completely safe, but if I drive through a bad part of town then yea I am going to lock my doors, everyone would.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Black people adopted the culture that white people imposed upon them, the culture of slavery. The conditioning behind that, imposed by violence, is obviously profound, and lingers to this day.

If white people can be said to have imposed a "slave culture" on blacks then shouldn't they all be diligent workers who follow the direction of authority?

That would seem to be exactly the opposite of what we see.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
With all of the news about Trayvon, Paula Deen, etc I have read "White Privilege" being thrown around a hell of a lot. In one in particular post it was very forcefully voiced that even if you are poor, are uneducated, white and homeless that you still had a higher status in life over an educated black man in America all due to white privilege.

Can someone explain this to me? I don't even want to go into cultural use of words and how it's not racist, I don't care about Ron Paul jokes, and I don't care we have a black president.

I want to understand why you can be a poor white man and still have White Privilege over a wealthy black man in the eyes of some of these folks posting across the internet.

If this becomes ridiculous I'll post in DC.

I can't find it but story but thread a few months back where black woman and white guy got into fight at store counter when he attempted to cut in front of her multiple times even after clerk told him to wait. He felt "entitled". I referred to guy as "massa" to make that point and got a warning from mods.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I don't know what it is, but since i'm white, perhaps you could direct me to where I can get mine.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I can't find it but story but thread a few months back where black woman and white guy got into fight at store counter when he attempted to cut in front of her multiple times even after clerk told him to wait. He felt "entitled". I referred to guy as "massa" to make that point and got a warning from mods.

That sounds like a guy being an asshole not white privilege.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
No such thing. I'm white and I never get any special privliges. People need to get over the obstacles that life places before us. If you do not believe you can succeed, you probably will not.

Your greatest enemy and impediment that keeps you from succeeding is your own mind. My how the proud have fallen.

You dont get this from other minorities like asians. However, Asains just do not give up and they believe they can succeed and often they do succeed. Just quit crying and get up off your ass!

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
With the races slowly mixing... is white privilege going to extend to Latinos as well? With such distinctions blurring...

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I don't know what it is, but since i'm white, perhaps you could direct me to where I can get mine.
Since you are white you have the privilege of going to work and paying taxes in order to support those who dont. :D

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
No such thing; its a bullshit term made up cultural Marxists in an attempt to get stupid/weak whites to undermine their own cultural and financial interests.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
No thanks. Ron Paul gave me all the statistics I need.

You understand that RP has actually been a big advocate against white privilege right? So much so he mentioned it several times in national debates.

This is exactly why I can't take this term seriously.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

White privilege reinforces it, of course. Not that it matters to you, given that you're ideologically predisposed to reject reason that doesn't support your beliefs.

You reject the idea that their experience and headset is valid, anyway, and you'll defend that premise with whatever bullshit you can fling.

You could just scream "White Power!" to show your true colors...
I disagree. Black culture after emancipation was not notably more violent, or less moral, or otherwise worse than the mainstream white majority culture. I think we're seeing two trends colliding. Our society as a whole is getting more tolerant of - even appreciative of - violence. And blacks were disproportionately affected by the ills of our welfare system which empowers women to have children out of wedlock, due to having started at a lower economic base. Remove the single parent bias and you've largely eliminated the violence and criminality gaps between races. Also remove the economic status gap (which largely goes away with the removal of the single parent bias) and the gaps pretty much vanish, depending on who does the math.

If white people can be said to have imposed a "slave culture" on blacks then shouldn't they all be diligent workers who follow the direction of authority?

That would seem to be exactly the opposite of what we see.
As I noted above, I don't buy into the premise that blacks inherited a slave culture, but I will say that slavery inhibits work ethic. As a slave, no one can be more oppressive than one's owner, yet a slave's hard work directly enriches that person. There is no opportunity to quit and find a better owner, the best owner is going to keep the lion's share of any surplus produced, and there is little opportunity to negotiate a better deal. (Although some slaves did negotiate a better deal and purchase their own freedom, as I understand it that is much less likely under race-based slavery than earlier versions of slavery.) Thus the South discovered that while slavery is a great way to concentrate wealth, it's a lousy way to create wealth, because it disencentizes those who produce the wealth. One can similarly make a good argument about respect for authority; if the system makes me property by virtue of birth and/or skin color, why on Earth would I have any respect for the system and its authority?

But as I said, I don't buy into the premise.

Switch it to Middle Eastern culture then, the same thing applies. Not all Middle Eastern people are terrorists or promote hate filled rhetoric and their culture is perfectly fine, no one really cares who they are or what they do. It's not until a certain group of them promote violence that I take notice are start being cautious. If I were to roll up on a KKK rally I'll do the exact same thing.

What I am getting at (now that I know what everyone is referring too with the topic) is that it is all based on situation and should not just be a blanket statement. I live in a predominately black community and I leave my car doors open all the time, hell I have left 2 grand in yard equipment out front without a care in the world.

I feel that my family is completely safe, but if I drive through a bad part of town then yea I am going to lock my doors, everyone would.
Good point.

I don't think white privilege is greatly extant anymore, but there is one way in which it definitely lingers. The legacy of slavery, Jim Crow segregation, and institutionalized discrimination left blacks statistically much lower economically. On average, if one is born black one simply stands a lower chance of being born extremely wealthy, or wealthy, or even middle class; one stands a lower chance of being a legacy at a good college, or attending a decent primary school system, or having influential friends and relatives. These things are why we have Affirmative Action in a nutshell, because otherwise the race-based advantages disappear very, very slowly.