What is white privilege?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Your racism has societal power. That's some white privilege.

I appreciate your response but if it takes a wall of text that is extremely hard to follow then you're trying too hard to justify something.

At the fundamental level what is it?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I appreciate your response but if it takes a wall of text that is extremely hard to follow then you're trying too hard to justify something.

Theres a lot of white people and people associate and people who look like themselves. It creates a standard of what is "normal". Normal people are more accepted.

He tossed in some irrelevant and wrong things but that's the gist.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
You're not quite getting it. White privilege is pervasive, and better understood by those who don't have it than by those who do.

Yea, because it is a made up concept to excuse a victim mentality.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
http://www.deafecho.com/2010/12/hearing-privilege/

It seems to me that hearing privilege is essentially another way of saying that deaf people are disabled.

So let us extend this to the discussion of white privilege. It seems to me like it is just a polite way of saying you think black people are disabled. In short the very concept of white privilege is itself racist.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yea, because it is a made up concept to excuse a victim mentality.
Just because it can be used as an excuse to attempt to justify bad behavior doesn't mean it can't also be valid in other circumstances.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

If some of the words he used are to big for you then break out a fucking dictionary and get to it. That's how you learn, if that's really why you created this thread.

If you just created this thread to collect dimwitted responses that mirror your own preconceived notions, than carry on. P&N has no shortage of angry white men.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
If some of the words he used are to big for you then break out a fucking dictionary and get to it. That's how you learn, if that's really why you created this thread.

If you just created this thread to collect dimwitted responses that mirror your own preconceived notions, than carry on. P&N has no shortage of angry white men.

Words are not the problem chief, if eskimospy can explain his views on economic theory in 3 sentences it shouldn't take a wall of text of rambling to explain what is ultimately meant by white privilege.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Words are not the problem chief, if eskimospy can explain his views on economic theory in 3 sentences it shouldn't take a wall of text of rambling to explain what is ultimately meant by white privilege.
You are right. It shouldn't need to be explained.

But since you need it explained and then need the explanation distilled, examine just this part:
So, in your example of the homeless white guy? Well, what if he knifes a homeless black guy? Says, "Self defense. Stood my ground." Question is, is he treated the exact same way as a homeless black man would who stabbed a white homeless guy and said the exact same thing? Or would the white guy get the benefit of the default perspective?

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009

But since you need it explained and then need the explanation distilled, examine just this part:

So at it's basic level it's based on who is the ultimate judge of events; a racist white cop/judge or a non-rascist black cop/judge?

I live in a predominately black neighborhood (and city), because I am the minority here is there a such thing as black privilege?

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Just because it can be used as an excuse to attempt to justify bad behavior doesn't mean it can't also be valid in other circumstances.

So basically it can just be trotted out when needed, and not have to be based in reality. Like I said, an excuse for the victim mentality.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So basically it can just be trotted out when needed, and not have to be based in reality. Like I said, an excuse for the victim mentality.
That is not what I said at all. It does have to be based on reality, and when it isn't, it can be dismissed as not applicable to that situation. It cannot be dismissed as not applicable to any situation or invalid as a whole based on some people's tendencies to use it when it does not apply.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
This is how I view it, and I don't care how PC it is.

Obama just pledged $8B dollars to Africa.
In America, who pays the taxes for that $8B? Who works and who doesn't? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who pays the taxes. So us privileged white folks are not only paying for our own country, we are also paying for a lot for other parts of the world.

We have been taxed higher. We have to work more hours. Both the man and woman have to work just to make the same amount of money as the previous generation. We have less and less babies because we cannot afford it nor have the time for it. All for what? To support the minority on welfare here and to support the 3rd world countries who don't give a shit about us in return. White will be in decline until we are the minority and then society will crumble because there won't be enough whites left to pay for the world to function. And to our surprise, nobody will come to our aid, nor care. Then all we will hear is "Too bad, survival of the fittest, you lost."

And to my astonishment, white folk are too stupid to even realize their own doom. In fact, I hear more from whites about how this should be allowed to happen and even applauded. That's some serious white guilt. No other culture or race would allow this to happen as willingly as we have. "Survival of the fittest" indeed. Whites are stupid. Some might call this privilege, I call it doom.

This is not just a US thing, its a global thing.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So at it's basic level it's based on who is the ultimate judge of events; a racist white cop/judge or a non-rascist black cop/judge?
No, not at all. Each individual event can be based that way if you like but the term refers to the number of times a person is judged (by everyone else, not just actual judges in court) throughout his/her lifetime.

live in a predominately black neighborhood (and city), because I am the minority here is there a such thing as black privilege?
I don't know, have you been accused of a crime or assumed guilty of a crime in your neighborhood just because you are white? Do the black people cross to the other side of the street when they see you are coming because they are afraid you will rob and/or rape them? Do they lock their car doors when they drive past you?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

In America, who pays the taxes for that $8B? Who works and who doesn't? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who pays the taxes. So us privileged white folks are not only paying for our own country, we are also paying for a lot for other parts of the world.

We have been taxed higher. We have to work more hours. Both the man and woman have to work just to make the same amount of money as the previous generation. We have less and less babies because we cannot afford it nor have the time for it. All for what? To support the minority on welfare here and to support the 3rd world countries who don't give a shit about us in return. White will be in decline until we are the minority and then society will crumble because there won't be enough whites left to pay for the world to function. And to our surprise, nobody will come to our aid, nor care. Then all we will hear is "Too bad, survival of the fittest, you lost."

And to my astonishment, white folk are too stupid to even realize their own doom. In fact, I hear more from whites about how this should be allowed to happen and even applauded. That's some serious white guilt. No other culture or race would allow this to happen as willingly as we have. "Survival of the fittest" indeed. Whites are stupid. Some might call this privilege, I call it doom.

Is that because you assume black people don't work at all or don't work enough to pay taxes?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

So, in your example of the homeless white guy? Well, what if he knifes a homeless black guy? Says, "Self defense. Stood my ground." Question is, is he treated the exact same way as a homeless black man would who stabbed a white homeless guy and said the exact same thing? Or would the white guy get the benefit of the default perspective?

Then, take my variant of it. Change the white guy to asian. Who gets the benefit of any default perspective?

Again, it's more about blacks being under-privileged than whites being over-privileged.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Then, take my variant of it. Change the white guy to asian. Who gets the benefit of any default perspective?

Again, it's more about blacks being under-privileged than whites being over-privileged.
I am not convinced that your variant or your conclusion changes anything.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I think most of it has to do what with DominionSeraph mentioned - the race that is in the majority, particularly with positions of power, that tendency of humans to recognize and empathize with sameness leads to a certain amount of bias towards their "own kind".

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
No, not at all. Each individual event can be based that way if you like but the term refers to the number of times a person is judged (by everyone else, not just actual judges in court) throughout his/her lifetime.

I don't know, have you been accused of a crime or assumed guilty of a crime in your neighborhood just because you are white? Do the black people cross to the other side of the street when they see you are coming because they are afraid you will rob and/or rape them? Do they lock their car doors when they drive past you?

That circles back to the inner city culture from what you are saying. Am I a privileged white guy because I see a group of rap/thug culture youth hanging out in front of a 7/11 and lock my doors just to hit up the Redbox and not when I go to the park as the only white guy with numerous black families outside enjoying their day?

In one instance I lock my door and in the other I do not feel the need too.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I think most of it has to do what with DominionSeraph mentioned - the race that is in the majority, particularly with positions of power, that tendency of humans to recognize and empathize with sameness leads to a certain amount of bias towards their "own kind".

So why am I only hearing about White Privilege?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Its because he is not in denial of reality.

Quoted for sheer chutzpah, racism & detachment from reality.

Higher unemployment among blacks is just a consequence of... white privilege. It's not rocket science, but, for you, that'd be not getting hit in the eye with a bottle rocket.

Not that your propaganda poisoned mental processes have a chance of catching a glimmer of truth, but putting it out there might benefit somebody else.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000

Putting aside how irritating it is that you think that when whites are no longer the majority America is automatically doomed because the other races don't pay taxes, let's talk reality here.

Despite what your politicians say, America isn't in the business of giving away money for nothing. Significant amounts of that aid comes in the form of military assistance. And even the parts that come in the form of food or pure cash have motives. It can be to ingratiate oneself to a nation for when things turn around and they look for a partner they already know and can trust. Or it can simply be because preventing chaos or poverty is good business for everyone (but often especially America).

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That circles back to the inner city culture from what you are saying. Am I a privileged white guy because I see a group of rap/thug culture youth hanging out in front of a 7/11 and lock my doors just to hit up the Redbox and not when I go to the park as the only white guy with numerous black families outside enjoying their day?

In one instance I lock my door and in the other I do not feel the need too.
You will never understand this issue if you can't remove "yourself" from the equation. You have to experience it from the other side, or at least make an honest attempt at trying to understand it from that perspective.