What is up with the dell latitudes..

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
Latitudes are still my favorite based on the fact they are still popular, and used parts are always avail for cheap.

However, they are not top notch anymore. The "d" series was there last true rugged & innovative models. "e" series are junk.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I don't know that I would want a higher standard resolution for a 14". Windows are programs are getting better at scaling, but it is still nice to have a resolution that is comfortable to the evens at stock, and not having to scale everything.

One of my laptops runs that resolution. For a basic use laptop, it's fine. And my son does play some games on it, which he probably couldn't do with a higher-resolution screen.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
They hold up well. Bought a ton of the E620's of lease last year for ~$300. Been holding up well despite being used in an environment that we used to by Toughbooks for. (I would rather replace them every two years than to try and get six years out of a Toughbook to justify the price and have performance seriously lag because of age.)

harshbarj

Mar 18, 2004
1366x768 is fine for daily use. My Toshiba run about at that. When I want more screen space, I jump to my thinkpad (1920 x 1200).

You buy what fits your need.

Dell does have quite a few latitudes with higher resolution displays. Just not many, if any, on the budget side.

Feb 25, 2011
Dell has long stood for over priced computer's, not like its a gaming lap top. "Business class laptop"=over priced, under whelming. Not sure what there is to figure out here, except not to buy one.
"Business Class" typically means, heavy, overbuilt, flat surfaces to put inventory stickers, support for drive encryption and smart cards, and no bundled crapware, for a price.

Whether or not that's a bad thing depends on your perspective, I guess.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I like Dells, but yes they've been fairly overpriced lately- then again what laptop hasn't so far, as a very long time laptop user since the early 90's I've been through so many laptops and as I've said before on these forums, there's a downward spiral in quality and price gaps. 5+ years ago you used to be able to find a moderately decent laptop for under $500 (CDN$), now any laptop under $500 is complete garbage and any laptop over $500 jumps way up in price and even then sometimes still lacks some features and build quality has gone way down... my 10 year old Dell Latitude was built like a tank.

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
You should never pay anywhere close to "sticker price" on Latitudes, unless you buy right after a new release. When I went to the website, there was across the top of the screen:

Save 35% on all OptiPlex, Latitude and Precision PCs site wide with coupon code SAVE35 Shop Now