What is up with our Right to Privacy? RFID's, CCD's in public, spam, etc. will be forced down your throats...

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
It strikes me that we have had a major shift in the past twenty years. We started out years and years ago shifting back and forth between the ideals of Democrats and Republicans, to Liberals and Conservatives. Nowadays their agendas are the same but the messages are presented differently. We cycle from big whiners in the media right back to big blow hards. Lately, though, the rhetoric is giving me the impression that these people actually want to steer America down the same path Europe took during the last turn of the century, and move towards more massive regulations than ever before.

Today you live in a generation of sell outs that no longer have opinions. Ha! You have an opinion, then fine, you are fired! Don't like email spam or mass mailings to your postbox alike? Ha! Do not resist invasive marketing tactics being used by modern corporations else we will move these corporations and their lucrative markets overseas. Hell, we've got away with moving the jobs overseas... just tempt us and we'll send our products over there next! Resistance to our spying on you is futile! Don't like wiretaps on your phone or internet connection? Ha! Go to jail or pay life savings over to the RIAA. Care to like dangerous products like ATVs and motorcycles? Ha! I bet you were one of those ah heck that would secretly tear that tag off your mattress! Don't like the RFID's on your clothes? Ha! You're in even bigger trouble now... Don't like metal detectors at the airport and government buildings? Ha! If you don't follow our rules then we'll let the terrorists get you! Want to run freeware on your PC? Ha! We will charge you after you already run it for years and will just take your firstborn child as payment...

We've got a society of high rollers that prey on the masses using bullying tactics I tell you. Do high rollers really think that we need them more than they need you...? Perhaps, but maybe at least they want you to believe it more than its true. America was once looked upon by the developed world as a frontier of undeveloped wasteland inhabited by dangerous pagans. Americans were nothing but a bunch of uncooth socialites that rejected the finest of civilization. Great societies were in the European and the Far East, but not in America. The Carnegies and Fords of the world are small fry on the scale of things. Typical Americans rejected the ideas of being pawns of the rich especially in times of great public desperation. The riots these past twenty years in major cities (Philedelphia, Los Angeles, Detroit, etc.) are only a taste of the discontent of the American public; the powder keg has yet to be tapped. Typical Americans formed secret societies of fraternity and brotherhoods to avoid the bullying tactics of big brother-like regulation. Laws don't even get applied to 99% of the lawbreakers out there, don't you know? Typical Americans tinkered with the ideas and works of the greatest minds, because there is always a way to improve every invention. Patents and copyrights are way over-rated.

I'm pretty optimistic that the modern influences in big government and industry will be beaten back down by the legacy of America. Does anyone else think that the Bill of Rights is still alive and well in America, but just needs a little big brother ass-kicking to get it back on track? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the little guys win.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
When Ronald McDonald Rumsfeld and Johan Ashcroft are out of thier current places in the government I will sleep alot better at night.

My commentary was basically in response to the permeation of the idea that we all lack privacy today in mainstream media articles. We don't lack privacy if we bitch when someone intrudes on our privacy. I don't get the prevailing wind around the media that we have to accept all the changes that were made post-9/11. I personally don't feel the need to change. The culprits stick out like a sore thumb on the American landscape and we didn't need any changes to protect American culture from terrorism.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
I must say I mostly agree with you. The CBDTPA / Palladium is another fine example of a privacy-invading technology, this time being pushed by a corporation, but through legislative means. I personally don't see how these things have much chance against the educated consumer (I've never encountered anyone who didn't work for an entity that is attempting to push these things who wanted this technology).

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just remember some on here would say. if you dont agree with all that is going on you are either a trator or you hate america, or it is all Clintons fault.

Bleep

zogg

Dec 13, 1999
I read somewhere that rfid's can be made as small as a grain of pepper.
If that is true can rfid's be put in food to track someone?

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: zogg
I read somewhere that rfid's can be made as small as a grain of pepper.
If that is true can rfid's be put in food to track someone?
I wouldn't be surprised if something like this were implanted in people someday. Of course there will be a good excuse for it, like it could monitor your medical condition or something, but I would be too concerned about the privacy implications to have one put in myself.