What is this enclosure missing to make it server capable?

jollywolf

Jun 16, 2012
Hi,

Newbie question here. Trying to officially set-up my first file server. Been researching between different units to house the hard drives in between raid enclosures and buying a case to build my own unit.

What I want to know is, if I got an enclosure like this one (link at the bottom) from Rosewell, what components are missing to make it network compatible?

Do I still need another computer to attach this to in order to make it function as a server? The specifications list Operating Systems, but I am uncertain whether that means I can run it on the enclosure itself, or that is compatible to be plugged into another Computer running one of those OS's.

There is no mention of a Gigabit Ethernet Interface, so I must assume this is one glaring piece I would be missing...

Any advice for a beginner in this field is much appreciated. Thank you!

Rosewill RSV-S8: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816132016

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
That is not a server. Its more like a multiple hard disk enclosure that you interface via eSATA from another PC, which is why they've supplied an eSATA card to be used on a separate PC. Since its just an enclosure, it has no processing capabilities, hence there can be no Gigabit Ethernet interface.

If you want a server, pay a little bit more and get this 20 bay Norco and build one up from scratch.

jollywolf

Jun 16, 2012
Alright, so this chassis is like a computer case designed for servers. 20-bays is a lot, but I like it. Seems I would still need standard components such as a motherboard and ethernet interface.

Do you know of a guide to help me build one from scratch using this model? I'm still unsure of all the necessary components I would be missing, as I am in my original post.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
What kind of server?

For most home server/nas/htpc duties, it's basically:

1) Find a guide on how to build a gaming PC.
2) Don't buy the GPU.
3) Buy more hard drives.

Everything else is pretty much the same.

For a production/business server, just follow the above directions but make sure you get a motherboard that supports ECC ram. And also ECC ram. (It's more expensive.)

The RAID enclosure in OP would go well with a SFF server. (Say, a server-class Atom board with ECC ram, a mini-ITX enclosure with a full height expansion slot like the Apex MI-008, and the RAID enclosure/eSATA card.) It's cable-ey, but may work better in a home environment. (That big Norco unit is rack-mounted, and probably loud as hell.)

Last edited:

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Alright, so this chassis is like a computer case designed for servers. 20-bays is a lot, but I like it. Seems I would still need standard components such as a motherboard and ethernet interface.

Do you know of a guide to help me build one from scratch using this model? I'm still unsure of all the necessary components I would be missing, as I am in my original post.
Yes, you would need standard components, especially a PCI Gigabit card. For the 20 bay Norco, you'll need a SAS/SATA card but that depends on the initial scale of your server. You'll definitely need it for 20 drives but not if the number of HDDs does not exceed your need and/or the available SATA ports on your motherboard.

You can also add ECC RAM, but you'll have to assess if you wouldn't mind the possibility of some error that might occur. If its just a home file server for personal use, I wouldn't bother too much about it. Get an ATX motherboard with many PCI/PCIE slots. They are needed for the cards that I've mentioned earlier.

You don't need a guide and its not that complicated. A file server of this scale isn't too different from a normal PC with a ton of drives. This, however, doesn't apply to all servers, especially enterprise class ones.

jollywolf

Jun 16, 2012
Dave's more on my level with my needs. I really don't need a dedicated server rack, but a tower case that houses 6-10 drives would be enough. It is for home use and access FTP from outside network.

OK, so my understanding is I need these components for this kind of build:

- Computer Case
- Power Supply
- Sata/Raid Card
- Gigabit Ethernet Interface
- Motherboard/CPU
- Hard Drives

...and I should be good to go, right?

I don't know anything about ECC RAM, but my initial impression is it's supposed to help find errors and correct them. Why should I be concerned with it causing errors, instead of finding and fixing them?

[ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811352027 ]
I also saw this NODE 304 Mini-ITX case which might work if I could limit the space requirement to 6 drives. But, this is more like a Direct Attached Storage unit, correct? And, I would need to connect this to a regular PC to make it functional?

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
...and I should be good to go, right?
That should be just about it. But like I said, the SAS/SATA controller is an optional step if you have more drives than the motherboard can support. The same goes for the Gigabit Ethernet, if the onboard ethernet is sufficient for your use case.

I also saw this NODE 304 Mini-ITX case which might work if I could limit the space requirement to 6 drives. But, this is more like a Direct Attached Storage unit, correct? And, I would need to connect this to a regular PC to make it functional?
No. If you need a smaller scale server, the Node 304 would fit the bill. The problem is I don't think there's a six port mITX motherboard for sale, and if there are any, it would cost more than an ATX motherboard.

jollywolf

Jun 16, 2012
OK, I'm starting to get it. A good motherboard will include the gigabit ethernet interface and support for enough hard drives. Like this motherboard from BioStar (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138353)

Let's say I end up with 8 drives. This motherboard is only capable of running 6 total (4 3gb/s SATA and 2 6gb/s SATA), so I would need an additional SATA card for the extra 2 drives or more future ones -- right?

I like this case right here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo). It houses 8 internal, and offers 10 5.25" bays that can be converted to 3.5" drive bays if needed.

But, since I really want to save money and the needs for this PC are minimal, can I take the stuff out of my old Dell Optiplex GX620 mini-tower and put it in this case? I believe I would only need a SATA card if I were able to take the motherboard (w/ CPU, gigabit interface) and power supply from that unit, and place it in this new case. The specs are here: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-optiplex-gx620/4507-3118_7-31420314.html

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Get this motherboard instead. An onboard Intel Gigabit is better than a Realtek. Most motherboards at that price range usually comes with six SATA ports, so you must have an extra SATA card if you'd want more.

That case is a bad choice and expensive. The 5.25" and 3.5" shares the same space and overlaps if unused. It does not mean that it totals to 18 bays. Get this case instead. It has eight dedicated 3.5" bays and its far cheaper.

That old PC might be capable of running a server (it has been done before) but I'm against the idea. The PC will be overworked due to its low performance and it'll just use up more power, not ideal when you want it to run 24/7.

jollywolf

Jun 16, 2012
Thank you for your suggestion. But, why do you think the PC is low performance? The CPU is a Pentium D 3.0GHz. I was hoping that would sufficient for running just a server.

I was expecting to hear that I would need to add some fans or something to provide more cooling, or that the standard power supply wouldn't be enough...but not that the CPU wouldn't be sufficient.

P.S.

I like your suggestion, and I think I'm gonna go with that case, but the step up... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146077. It's the Elite model with USB 3.0 and a screwless design. The drive bays look much easier to mess with.

I'd still like to hear why you feel the CPU I have wouldn't be sufficient, and maybe you wouldn't mind recommended a power supply if mine won't be enough also. :) Big Thanks for your help so far!!

Last edited:

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
That PC is low performance relative to what is available at present moment. Its not unheard of to use very old PCs (even P4) to act as a server. Its not that it can't or it isn't sufficient. I just wouldn't recommend it because it has to work too much due to its low performance and consume too much power at the same time.

If the file server isn't accessed all the time, it will be idling and you'd want a new CPU that has lower power consumption while idling. Plus, newer Intel CPUs comes with integrated graphics, removing the need for a discrete GPU that increases the overall power consumption, unless you're running headless.

PSU : 1 | 2

jollywolf

Jun 16, 2012
OK. I'll take that into consideration. Even though this motherboard does have an integrated GPU with VGA, and I may run it headless after all.

Regarding the PSU's. I noticed the first one has connectors for 4 SATA. How do I connect the additional ones if I run 8 total drives? And how does one go about determining the power wattage necessary for a project?

jollywolf

Jun 16, 2012
Hey I found a nice guide that explains PSUs on newegg, so I understand better how to connect all drives.. Molex to SATA converters for additional drives, or connector splitters to combine drives to one connection.

http://www.newegg.com/product/Catego...?articleId=199

It seems people the more power the better for output wattage, but I would like learn how to choose a unit that is efficient...or sufficient.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
You definitely don't need a 500W PSU for this server but I consider it to be a wattage suitable for a wide range of use. The peak efficiency for a PSU is around 50%. So in the best case scenario, a server like this plus eight drives wouldn't even exceed 250W, thus making it perform within its most efficient range.

Get this.

jollywolf

Jun 16, 2012
Awesome. And, these extension power cables don't cause any extra load on the PSU that it couldn't handle if the connectors were separate, right?

Great stuff, I feel pretty good about everything.. Thanks!!!!!!!